Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Aloe vera products vs. fresh aloe vera?

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    0"/CBL/?
    Type
    2a/M/C/iii

Default Re: Aloe vera products vs. fresh aloe vera?

Quote Originally Posted by poli View Post
    I don't want to ruin my plants so I got powdered aloe leaf from Indian store, it works pretty well added to other herbs. I have to try it in SMT next.
    Interesting, I just saw this thread and was going to ask if anyone here uses dehydrated aloe fillets. I was just at the Indian market yesterday picking up supplies for an herbal wash. I wish I would have known this was a thing when I went.

Does it take any extra effort to prep it? or would adding a spoonful before blending my other ingredients together be just as effective?

Type
    1b/1c/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by jane_marie View Post
    Interesting, I just saw this thread and was going to ask if anyone here uses dehydrated aloe fillets. I was just at the Indian market yesterday picking up supplies for an herbal wash. I wish I would have known this was a thing when I went.

Does it take any extra effort to prep it? or would adding a spoonful before blending my other ingredients together be just as effective?
    For now I just added a spoonful of it to fenugreek and sedr and mixed with warm water, nothing more complicated. The brand is Indus Valley Bio Organic Aloe Vera leaf Powder; the instruction just says - add water, make thick paste apply to hair, after half hour wash out.

Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

Default Help with fresh aloe as a styler-FLAKES!

So, whenever I used store-bought aloe as a hair gel in the past, it was very drying. No leave-in or oil really helped, and there was no hold. I figured I would try again with gel from the leaf since I have quite a few plants outside. I prepared the first batch with just the scraped gel processed in my Ninja blender; it was more like a liquid. I still need a leave-in or something moisturizing for my hair, but the aloe worked rather well. However, after a week of daily use after daily washes, which it lasted perfectly fine in the fridge, I noticed very teeny flakes in my hair, something I've never experienced. Not majorly visible, but I now know they are there. Last night I prepared a new leaf, carefully draining the yellow liquid, blending with raw honey and agave. I put it in a spray bottle and used it this morning over my usual leave-in (which is aloe based). I love what it does for my curls and how my hair looks and feels, but I still see small flakes. I am open to any suggestions on how to prepare a simple gel differently or any recommendations, really, to help eliminate the pesky flakes. It would be so great to have a free and healthy styler.

Length
    20/20/25
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/i/ii

Hello!

Joining the discussion in this thread. Lurked on this thread (and others) before deciding on an aloe product, as where I live the aloe only grows indoors.

Since I read that the gels can have many added ingredients, I decided to try a gel meant to be ingested. Besides aloe it lists citric acid and potassium sorbate as preservatives. First impressions are that it has the consistency of a juice rather than a gel. I put in a spray bottle and since I could not resist trying it, I sprayed my ends with it last night and this morning and I must say, so far it works well. I have yet to try it in an SMT, but I will keep you updated.

Length
    Chin/MBL/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by kittywmittens View Post

Since I read that the gels can have many added ingredients, I decided to try a gel meant to be ingested. Besides aloe it lists citric acid and potassium sorbate as preservatives. First impressions are that it has the consistency of a juice rather than a gel. I put in a spray bottle and since I could not resist trying it, I sprayed my ends with it last night and this morning and I must say, so far it works well. I have yet to try it in an SMT, but I will keep you updated.
    Oh, I think I'll try it too!

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
    My bottle of fruit of the earth says 100% pure aloe vera gel, the ingredients are different then yours though.

I won't use it on my hair, its for skin use only. I'll stick to fresh
    Super late on the reply, but that's probably as close to 100% aloe as you can get without making it fresh yourself. The ingredients on the end are preservatives. It should be hair safe.
    Lady Nemetona of the Blessed Circle in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    APL/WL/HL
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

This is the aloe vera gel I've switched to from Fruit of the Earth and just letting you know, this stuff is amazing. It has a very light consistency, actually smells like real aloe without the extra chemicals, no xanthan gum so it absorbs like water. It almost does not feel like a gel at all. Been using it for my skin and hair
    https://www.amazon.com/Organic-Aloe-.../dp/B00XTTFI6K

Ingredients
    USA Grown Organic Aloe Vera, Agar (natural thickener), Citric acid (to stabilize pH), Ascorbic acid (Vitamin C), Potassium sorbate (for 2 year shelf life). Does NOT contain CARRAGEENAN.
    Last edited by JasminxCat; March 23rd, 2021 at 10:59 PM.

Length
    14/14/39
    Type
    2b/F/M/ii/iii

I haven't found a good aloe vera product where I live atm.. I once tried aloe Vera juice out of a bottle but it is not the same. Fresh aloe vera seems to be the best for me.

Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

I always include 5% aloe vera powder in my henna mix. It was recommended on one of the henna sites I read while learning about henna. It works as a moisturizer. I've never used it any other way.

I'm glad someone mentioned the food grade aloe vera. It makes sense that it would work for hair as well as it does for an irritated esophagus or stomach lining.

Obsessive Oilaholic ChloeDharma's Avatar
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Default Re: Help with fresh aloe as a styler-FLAKES!

Quote Originally Posted by curly girl fla View Post
    So, whenever I used store-bought aloe as a hair gel in the past, it was very drying. No leave-in or oil really helped, and there was no hold. I figured I would try again with gel from the leaf since I have quite a few plants outside. I prepared the first batch with just the scraped gel processed in my Ninja blender; it was more like a liquid. I still need a leave-in or something moisturizing for my hair, but the aloe worked rather well. However, after a week of daily use after daily washes, which it lasted perfectly fine in the fridge, I noticed very teeny flakes in my hair, something I've never experienced. Not majorly visible, but I now know they are there. Last night I prepared a new leaf, carefully draining the yellow liquid, blending with raw honey and agave. I put it in a spray bottle and used it this morning over my usual leave-in (which is aloe based). I love what it does for my curls and how my hair looks and feels, but I still see small flakes. I am open to any suggestions on how to prepare a simple gel differently or any recommendations, really, to help eliminate the pesky flakes. It would be so great to have a free and healthy styler.
    I'm a bit late seeing this but it sounds like you need to strain the blended aloe gel through something like muslin cloth or a nut milk strainer. Alternatively, what I do is just rub the leaf over my hair letting the gel ooze onto the strands and scalp. The downside of this of course is you can't mix it with other ingredients but can layer them on top.
    The heart would have no rainbow, had the eyes no tears.