Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blog Subscriptions via Email?

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    0"/CBL/?
    Type
    2a/M/C/iii

Default Blog Subscriptions via Email?

I love reading blogland but I struggle with being productive irl when I allow myself full access to the forum.

Last month I blocked the forum from my router so I had to use data on my cellphone to access lhc and found I was a lot more productive but I missed staying up to date with what is happening in people's lives.

I'm trying to brainstorm some ways that I can balance my productivity and still read blog entries. For whatever reason I can't just block the forum and keep the blogs open using my router and my OCD makes it difficult for me to simply not use the forum side obsessively.

I'm curious if there is a way to subscribe to blogs and have them sent to your email.

Thanks so much.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: Blog Subscriptions via Email?

I don't know if it helps any, but I have bookmarked, the "new posts" search. Every time I open the forum, that "search" opens, and with a glance I can see where there's new messages. It is easy to then skip the threads you don't want to read, and to then just read what's new in your favorite threads. Just FYI; it's how I do it, and I don't waste a lot of time!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    0"/CBL/?
    Type
    2a/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    I don't know if it helps any, but I have bookmarked, the "new posts" search. Every time I open the forum, that "search" opens, and with a glance I can see where there's new messages. It is easy to then skip the threads you don't want to read, and to then just read what's new in your favorite threads. Just FYI; it's how I do it, and I don't waste a lot of time!
    Thanks for the advice!

I'm not sure if it will work for me though. My OCD is really hard to control and my tendencies with it seem to be concentrated on the forum. I click around without even thinking about it and by the time I'm done I've wasted six hours here.

It's silly that I have to take these measures I know but clicking the refresh button on LHC and reading every single little thing has become a problem in the same way that some people with OCD might develop a problem with washing their hands 3,000 times a day or constantly getting up to check that their door is locked. I've tried to work on it but I think it's something I don't have much hope of having control of. :shrug

I think blocking the site via the router for one week incriminates is really the best best solution for my productivity given I can get email notification on blogs I follow in the same way that you can get email notifications about thread updates.

I could have swore I found a way to subscribe to blogs via email notifications at some point but I'm just having trouble figuring it out right now.

Long tea-time for hair neko_kawaii's Avatar
    Thats the temperature - not the speed limit.
    Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Unfortunately the options for blog subscriptions are limited. Fortunately (for your needs), they are separate from everything else. My suggestion is to bookmark the blogs and the blog subscriptions pages. That way you can see if there are any new comments on blogs you have commented on (or manually subscribed to) and new blogs without getting distracted by forum posts. Sadly, the option to subscribe to specific blogs (as opposed to blog posts) does not work well.

58.5 in, 2a, F, ii (3 in)
    Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Mod hat off. Mod hat on. Don't make me wear the mod hat, it messes up my hair. *grin*

Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Oh! I went to poke around because it has been many years since I fooled around with blog settings and you CAN get email notifications! If you go to a specific blog, on the right hand side under the profile picture, look for “subscribe” and then in the drop down menu select email!

Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Mod hat off. Mod hat on. Don't make me wear the mod hat, it messes up my hair. *grin*

Length
    0"/CBL/?
    Type
    2a/M/C/iii

Okay, thank you for getting back to me neko. I really appreciate you taking the time.

I've tried bookmarking the blog page but it doesn't have an effect for me. I still click over to the forum without even thinking. I know that's ridiculous and I'm pretty embarrassed that I don't have more self control... but, I think this is one of those things I need to find a work around for instead of trying to fix. I've been making attempts at that for nearly a year

I found the spot for the email subscriptions to individual blogs. Is it faulty?

I enjoy my time away from LHC but I feel close to a lotof the people on the blogs and it makes me sad to not know what they are up to.

I'm just trying to strike a balance.

Length
    0"/CBL/?
    Type
    2a/M/C/iii

Oop! I just saw your new message. That's excellent. Thank you so much. I'm so happy that there is a way for me to stay up to datewith what is happening while avoiding the forum side.

*HUGS* I might cry I'm so happy!

K, I'm gonna go block the site and get some living done. The sun is out, I might even be able to coax myself to go on a nice walk with my doggo.

Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Subscribe to my blog, let me know it is done and then I'll post a blog and we can see what happens.

Length
    0"/CBL/?
    Type
    2a/M/C/iii

Okay will do!

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by jane_marie View Post
    Thanks for the advice!

I'm not sure if it will work for me though. My OCD is really hard to control and my tendencies with it seem to be concentrated on the forum. I click around without even thinking about it and by the time I'm done I've wasted six hours here.

It's silly that I have to take these measures I know but clicking the refresh button on LHC and reading every single little thing has become a problem in the same way that some people with OCD might develop a problem with washing their hands 3,000 times a day or constantly getting up to check that their door is locked. I've tried to work on it but I think it's something I don't have much hope of having control of. :shrug

I think blocking the site via the router for one week incriminates is really the best best solution for my productivity given I can get email notification on blogs I follow in the same way that you can get email notifications about thread updates.

I could have swore I found a way to subscribe to blogs via email notifications at some point but I'm just having trouble figuring it out right now.
    Oh man!

I sometimes get sucked in too, but I can space it out quite well now. I do come here several times a day, for a little while. I can't say I spend hours on here (not continuously anyway).
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)