Thread: Thinking of henndigo-ing again...Help!

Type
    1a/F/i

Default Thinking of henndigo-ing again...Help!

A few times in the past, when I first started dying my hair, I used henna and indigo. I did this maybe 10 times. The brand I tried was The Henna Guys, a 2 step process,, and I didn't have any issues with it, aside from difficulties getting it as pitch black as I wanted.

Well, that, and after a while I felt like it was a bit difficult to wash out after 6 or so hours in my hair, and so my thinking was that arctic fox dye would be better for my hair because it was easier to wash out, and would cause less mechanical damage. Today, I'm not sure that this is actually the case, and I like the idea of using something more natural and environmentally friendly. So I'm thinking about going back to henndigo!

My biggest questions are how can I get it BLACK black? Maybe it's just a matter of trying a different brand, or adding another herb, but on my naturally blonde hair I get a very dark brown. Pretty, but I'm going for jet black. Should sage or amla be my next step? I've tried mixing it with brewed coffee but it really can't get dark enough for me. Tell me your favorite tricks for getting the darkest color.

My second question is how do you manage washing it out? I feel it dries a little in my hair after six hours, like mud, but I worry shortening that time will make it less effective in dying. Is there a way to keep it creamier/wetter longer and thus easier to wash it? My henna sometimes came with plastic shower caps that trapped heat marvelously and helped with this, but sometimes they don't, and so I used either plastic bags or a reusable shower cap...those worked nowhere near as well and left me feeling crusty.

Finally, the first time I dyed my hair I did use box dye, waited months, and then moved to henna. It took fine and no smoke like I was warned, but that was when I dyed my hair once. Now, I worry with 9 inches of hair that have been dyed at the roots this whole time, I'll be left with a line, black under, dark brown on top. What can I do to avoid this, or at least how can I make the results look as natural as possible?

Despite using henna several times, I still feel I lack a lot of knowledge on the subject....but thanks for reading!

Length
    shldr/waist/???
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Default Re: Thinking of henndigo-ing again...Help!

Wrap it with saran wrap to keep it from drying out.
    Lady Nemetona of the Blessed Circle in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    0.25/50/Term
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

You'll find lots of advice in this thread https://forums.longhaircommunity.com...=indigo+thread

I will crawl out from your screen

Lady Raven, Guardian of the Enchanted Forests of Nevermore. In The Order of the Long Haired Knights

Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii

I use guar gum powder in my mix when I make it from scratch. It's easier to apply, doesn't drip as much, and is easier to wash out. The lumps get a bit slippery when wet, so even afterwards, just add a bit water and it will slip from the hair.

That said... when I use my henna mix shampoo, to get rid of the gunk and debris, I use the very gentle baby shampoo from Johnson & Johnson. It lathers a lot, and makes it easier to rinse out the henna powder. I keep it in my hair only so long it takes to get the lather all over, so I don't think it does anything to the colour.