Thread: Henna and herbs for washing hair

Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii

Default Henna and herbs for washing hair

It's been ages since I posted anything here.

I've been washing my hair with basically the same mix for several years now. There's chickpea flour for cleansing and making it easier to apply. Henna for colour and scrubbiness. Neem and tulsi for skin care. Citric acid for PH to remove the effect from hard water.

I make the mix about 24 hours before I use it. That lets the henna release it's dye, and the chickpea flour to expand. I stir it occasionally. When I'm ready to use it, I mix in some neem oil, and maybe some aloe vera gel and arnica gel. I apply it to wet hair, and let it sit while I do my other showery stuff. When I'm ready to rinse it out, I scrub my scalp really well to get the most out of the henna.

The residue from the mix and my hard water has to be cleaned out. After trying magic water and tea rinses, I ended up with the simplest of solutions. Johnson's baby shampoo. It's scalp friendly and the lather helps remove most of the herbal gunk.

I used to be able to buy Vatica's henna shampoo mix, but the shop stopped selling it, and now I simply use cheap henna. My hair and scalp are still clean.

The henna helps cover my grey roots.

I was getting a bit tired of the redness of the henna, and when the shop offered some cheap indigo, I bought some.

Mixing the indigo with the rest of the mix lessens the effect of the henna on my grey roots, and it's as if there is no henna sticking to them.

So, I decided to try the normal henna mix, and when I had rinsed that out, just add some indigo mixed with water and let that sit for about 5 - 10 minutes.

The result is much better. My hair is darker now. Not by much, but I'm sure it will add on after a while.

BTW... my hair is very dye resistant, so the effect on my hair might be less, than on someone else's hair.

Length
    16/21/36+
    Type
    2c/F/M/iii

Default Re: Henna and herbs for washing hair

I'm stuck in salt and pepper on top with a bit of brown from half way down. I hate it. I want to go grey, but this half and half drives me nuts. I've tried several purple shampoos and treatments to tone down the brown but nothing worked until....
    I use food dye. That worked and the brown has calmed down to less red. I mixed a purple myself from pink and blue and added it to some conditioner. Now that I'm using rice water instead I'll have to try adding it to a little rice water and make sure it doesn't stain skin! I'll post some pictures after I've tried it.

Obsessive Oilaholic ChloeDharma's Avatar
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I've been thinking of going back to mostly herb washing again and henna is one that I will probably start to add to my mix, along with shikakai and neem powder.
    The heart would have no rainbow, had the eyes no tears.

Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by LadyEliza View Post
    I'm stuck in salt and pepper on top with a bit of brown from half way down. I hate it. I want to go grey, but this half and half drives me nuts. I've tried several purple shampoos and treatments to tone down the brown but nothing worked until....
    I use food dye. That worked and the brown has calmed down to less red. I mixed a purple myself from pink and blue and added it to some conditioner. Now that I'm using rice water instead I'll have to try adding it to a little rice water and make sure it doesn't stain skin! I'll post some pictures after I've tried it.
    My hair is pretty dye resistant, but henna does stick to it, especially since there is a good build up from using it every week. I'll see what happens if I add food dye. Looking forward to your pictures.

Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by ChloeDharma View Post
    I've been thinking of going back to mostly herb washing again and henna is one that I will probably start to add to my mix, along with shikakai and neem powder.
    When using henna for washing, there is no need for the expensive stuff, just keep it simple.

I used to measure and weigh and try and mix perfectly, and in the end it turns out, it doesn't really matter. My hair is clean, my scalp is happy, and the colour isn't perfect, but it is fun. I want black, and that can only happen through long sessions, and at this time, there is no point. I'll see how dark it will get from this latest approach.

Obsessive Oilaholic ChloeDharma's Avatar
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Oh yes, I never buy the expensive henna anyway. I usually get the Nupur for colouring which does a very good job but have brought relatively cheap plain henna packets for herb washes and DT's. The brand I most use other than Nupur is Ayur. They both use Rajasthani henna which suits me fine.
    I'm glad you are having success with your mix
    The heart would have no rainbow, had the eyes no tears.

Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii

Second time doing the henna wash mix, rinsing that out more or less, then adding the indigo mix (this time with a bit of chickpea flour and citric acid that I mixed earlier in the day), the result is a bit darker on top of my head. I'm not making enough indigo mix to get it all the way at the back, so that part is still pretty reddish. There is a difference that at least I can see. It takes a bit longer in the shower, but good enough to keep the grey at bay. When this covid thing is over, I'll probably do a full session with proper henna and then some black henna (PPD, not allergic to it yet) to get my black hair back. Upkeep should be easier with this henna first, indigo later, washing sessions.