Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Henna dread: trying to remove henna

Type
    1b/F/ii

Default Re: Henna dread: trying to remove henna

***Just an FYI to anyone else in my situation. I have a photo album set to public on my profile that I will be posting progress pictures. If youíre like me, I just want to see pictures of before and after different attempts. (I would post them here but I donít know how). Iím being patient with this so Iíll be spacing everything out and doing lots of oiling and clarifying treatments. I will also be spacing bleaching treatments out when I get to that point. My hair is naturally dirty blonde and I applied henna on virgin hair. So this will be raw results of success or complete failure. Lol. We will see...***
    EAR-SL-APL-BSL-MBL-WL-HL-TBL-CL

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    0"/CBL/?
    Type
    2a/M/C/iii

I didn't ever use color oops. I'm very sensitive to smells and I was worried that I would have to deal with smelling like rotten eggs for several days after doing it.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Just don't bleach it out too much. Be grateful when it comes out a tiny bit, and then let them put a semi over it to tone it to "somewhat" your own natural color, so you can grow it out a little more even, perhaps?

But still, I vote for: grow it out, and be thankful you still have hair.

Let me tell you how tenacious henna is. I applied it to my hair just a couple times (let it sit just 30 minutes), and 2 solid strength full-on bleachings could not get it out. My hair was still orange! We put a box dye over it (light brown, because: orange, can't put blonde over that), went OK, but with the second touch up (roots), it all went to hell. Chemical cut, chemical burn (scalp) and my hair went from BSL to chin (it just fell off).

So... Be sure you know what you're getting into!

Henna is super hard to remove, I can tell you that. Bleach can be a betting game.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Type
    1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Just don't bleach it out too much. Be grateful when it comes out a tiny bit, and then let them put a semi over it to tone it to "somewhat" your own natural color, so you can grow it out a little more even, perhaps?

But still, I vote for: grow it out, and be thankful you still have hair.

Let me tell you how tenacious henna is. I applied it to my hair just a couple times (let it sit just 30 minutes), and 2 solid strength full-on bleachings could not get it out. My hair was still orange! We put a box dye over it (light brown, because: orange, can't put blonde over that), went OK, but with the second touch up (roots), it all went to hell. Chemical cut, chemical burn (scalp) and my hair went from BSL to chin (it just fell off).

So... Be sure you know what you're getting into!

Henna is super hard to remove, I can tell you that. Bleach can be a betting game.
    Yes, exactly. ItS going to be awhile before I start bleaching. I just purchased some color opps because I found a thread that some people had really good results with that. Until it gets here in a few weeks Iím just going to continue oiling and clarifying. I will be so happy if I can get it just a little lighter. Sorry that happened to you! Iíve actually read your response on some other old threads about it and your the reason Iím trying to be as patient and cautious as possible.
    EAR-SL-APL-BSL-MBL-WL-HL-TBL-CL

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by MotherofPhoenix View Post
    Yes, exactly. ItS going to be awhile before I start bleaching. I just purchased some color opps because I found a thread that some people had really good results with that. Until it gets here in a few weeks I’m just going to continue oiling and clarifying. I will be so happy if I can get it just a little lighter. Sorry that happened to you! I’ve actually read your response on some other old threads about it and your the reason I’m trying to be as patient and cautious as possible.
    I have been dye-free for about 5 years now, for sure. And I'm glad! Just a number of years left (I'm 4 before the whites take over fully and I lose the enjoyment of my own natural color.

Hope you have some success with the color remover. Just don't try to rush, but I'm reading you *are* taking it slow, so phew. That's great! I wish you the best of luck with the whole process. And if you have more questions, ask away!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    shldr/waist/???
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by MotherofPhoenix View Post
    Yes, exactly. ItS going to be awhile before I start bleaching. I just purchased some color opps because I found a thread that some people had really good results with that. Until it gets here in a few weeks I’m just going to continue oiling and clarifying. I will be so happy if I can get it just a little lighter. Sorry that happened to you! I’ve actually read your response on some other old threads about it and your the reason I’m trying to be as patient and cautious as possible.
    If you have honey on hand, honey has the ability to lighten at least a little bit, so here is one other thread for your reading pleasure:
    https://forums.longhaircommunity.com...read.php?t=148

SMTs contain honey. I don't think they contain enough to lighten, buuuuuuuuut color oops is gonna dry your hair like nuts anyway, so it might be nice to SMT between treatments (possibly SMT multiple times to soothe your hair and scalp)
    https://forums.longhaircommunity.com...read.php?t=128
    Lady Nemetona of the Blessed Circle in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    APL/MBL/TBL
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

I was thinking about trying henna. Not after this thread. I had no idea it was THAT hard to remove

Hopefully you are able to get enough of it out to be content, I'm sorry
    Last edited by JasminxCat; January 17th, 2021 at 09:39 PM.

Length
    shldr/waist/???
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by JasminxCat View Post
    I was thinking about trying henna. Not after this thread. I had no idea it was THAT hard to remove

Hopefully you are able to get enough of it out to be content, I'm sorry
    My advice to people with henna typically goes:

Is your hair black? (talking pitch black here) Ok, proceed.

Is your hair red? Ok, but proceed with caution.

Have you been dying your hair red for most of your life? Ok, but proceed with caution.

If you fall outside of any of those three categories, I am personally of the opinion you should give henna a very wide berth. It's effectively permanent (it puts chemical box permanent dyes to shame) for most intents and purposes and while some lucky people do get it out, it's generally not gonna come out.

I'm glad you've decided to be more cautious. In that vein, have you considered Cassia? that might give you some fun benefits with less of the drawbacks
    Lady Nemetona of the Blessed Circle in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    SL/CBL/MBL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

There is a method of henna and indigo removal that I will test pretty soon ( I did the last henndigo yesterday ). I've been reading the description of procedure a couple of times. I don't think its described somewhere in English ( I found it on Polish hair blog)
    It involves using phosphoric acid ( basically Coca-Cola) to remove henna or indigo.
    You need to dilute coke with water ( proportions vary, could start with 1:3 and make it stronger if needed) spray your hair with it, then oil it with penetrating oil ( coconut for exemple) and let it sit a few hours or overnight. Then wash with clarifying, sulphate shampoo.
    It needs to be repeated many times. I guess once a week will do and I would expect it to take 1,5 to 2 months to see some results.
    I will start in the end of February and I will certainly post here about my results
    Den som všntar pŚ nŚgot gott všntar aldrig fŲr lšnge.

Length
    APL/MBL/TBL
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by akurah View Post
    My advice to people with henna typically goes:

Is your hair black? (talking pitch black here) Ok, proceed.

Is your hair red? Ok, but proceed with caution.

Have you been dying your hair red for most of your life? Ok, but proceed with caution.

If you fall outside of any of those three categories, I am personally of the opinion you should give henna a very wide berth. It's effectively permanent (it puts chemical box permanent dyes to shame) for most intents and purposes and while some lucky people do get it out, it's generally not gonna come out.

I'm glad you've decided to be more cautious. In that vein, have you considered Cassia? that might give you some fun benefits with less of the drawbacks
    I saw a Cassia thread somewhere but unable to find it now
    Henna is beautiful, but not something I would like permanently. I knew it was harder to remove than box dye, but didn't realize how good it sticks to your hair

Quote Originally Posted by paulownia View Post
    There is a method of henna and indigo removal that I will test pretty soon ( I did the last henndigo yesterday ). I've been reading the description of procedure a couple of times. I don't think its described somewhere in English ( I found it on Polish hair blog)
    It involves using phosphoric acid ( basically Coca-Cola) to remove henna or indigo.
    You need to dilute coke with water ( proportions vary, could start with 1:3 and make it stronger if needed) spray your hair with it, then oil it with penetrating oil ( coconut for exemple) and let it sit a few hours or overnight. Then wash with clarifying, sulphate shampoo.
    It needs to be repeated many times. I guess once a week will do and I would expect it to take 1,5 to 2 months to see some results.
    I will start in the end of February and I will certainly post here about my results
    That's interesting. Definitely update with results