Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dry ends

Default Dry ends

Hi everyone,
    I last had my hair cut in August and I was/am really wanting to go at least until early summer before getting another trim. My issue is the bottom half of my hair is very!! badly bleach & heat damaged. It has come back from the brink quite a lot since ditching heat and discovering lhc and is now actually getting longer as opposed to snapping up and up like it was. The last week or so my ends are looking dry and drying out very quickly as soon as I've washed my hair.
    Is there anything you could advise me to do? So far I have tried -
    Cutting down to twice weekly washes
    Full head hot oil treatments and deep conditioning treatments 2 out of every 3 washes
    Olaplex every third wash followed by leave in conditioner
    A bit of argan oil or more coney serum just on ends when wearing hair down day 1 and 2

At the moment all hairdressers are shut here anyway, but I'm hesitant to get a trim because I would still be in damaged territory and feel it may be the same situation but shorter. I'm a bit stuck so any help would be great! Thanks

Length
    chin/100cm/term?
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Dry ends

Hello!
    First of all, I would only recommend cutting the ends as a last resort if your goal is to grow. By last resort I mean the hair is so badly damaged that it continues to break and split no matter what. The feeling of dryness could be due to: damage, too much protein, not enough moisture, or product build up. I would start by clarifying and using distilled water as a final rinse. Then I would work on moisture by ditching the cones and using moisturizing conditioners and oils when the hair is wet. Some conditioners are full of proteins so try and find one without protein. I like to wash my hair and then use a tiny dab of non protein conditioner on the ends and then add a few drops of oil on top. Every night I then rewet the ends and apply the products again. This seems to help.

Some hair really needs proteins, whereas other hair types do not. If your hair does not improve after the clarification and moisturizing steps above, I would then recommend you try to add proteins.

Finally, different oils work better for some than they do others. It is a bit of trial and error. I would recommend you find someone else with similar hair type and see what works for them. This may be a good starting place for you. I like olive oil ... but I am Italian so perhaps that is why? ��. I have also used avocado and jojoba oils with success. Baby oil (mineral oil) is another one that works well but I tend to use it as a rinse out after shampooing and before conditioning in the shower. Interestingly, I need a ton of the baby oil before I feel greasy but others only need a few drops. Not sure why this is.
    Good luck!

Chin--SL--APL--BSL--MBL--Waist--HIP-- BCL --TB--Classic--Beyond...?

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by AmyBee View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I last had my hair cut in August and I was/am really wanting to go at least until early summer before getting another trim. My issue is the bottom half of my hair is very!! badly bleach & heat damaged. It has come back from the brink quite a lot since ditching heat and discovering lhc and is now actually getting longer as opposed to snapping up and up like it was. The last week or so my ends are looking dry and drying out very quickly as soon as I've washed my hair.
    Is there anything you could advise me to do? So far I have tried -
    Cutting down to twice weekly washes
    Full head hot oil treatments and deep conditioning treatments 2 out of every 3 washes
    Olaplex every third wash followed by leave in conditioner
    A bit of argan oil or more coney serum just on ends when wearing hair down day 1 and 2

At the moment all hairdressers are shut here anyway, but I'm hesitant to get a trim because I would still be in damaged territory and feel it may be the same situation but shorter. I'm a bit stuck so any help would be great! Thanks
    How long is your hair now?

If it is about BSL, then you can very easily self-trim, there are a couple of good methods on this site to help you out.

If you are worried a hair dresser will cut off more, then please do it yourself?
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    ChinL/MBL+/Term
    Type
    2c/3a/F/iii

I second dagny and lapushka.

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. I'm glad trimming can be a last last resort. It is so nice to see it gaining length and from july till now my ends have been kind of rough but not too bad so I'm going to stick with it.
    I'm fairly sure it's not product build up just from the rest of my hair.
    I'm definitely going to experiment with oils and olive oil seems a good place to start - at the minute im using coconut and I'm not sure its effective for me.
    I also really like the idea of the conditioner and oil on wet hair then reapplying so I'll give that a go too. Again, thanks so much!

Thanks for the reply!
    Unfortunately I'm only at collar bone so far. After that point I'll maybe give it a go but im not sure im brave enough! I did find a hairdresser who was not too scissor happy last time, but I'm going to try everything under the sun before I lose any length. Ideally I'd like to get to armpit length then trim but not sure - will just play it by ear.
    Thanks again!

Thanks.

Length
    15/29.5/34
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. I'm glad trimming can be a last last resort. It is so nice to see it gaining length and from july till now my ends have been kind of rough but not too bad so I'm going to stick with it.
    I'm fairly sure it's not product build up just from the rest of my hair.
    I'm definitely going to experiment with oils and olive oil seems a good place to start - at the minute im using coconut and I'm not sure its effective for me.
    I also really like the idea of the conditioner and oil on wet hair then reapplying so I'll give that a go too. Again, thanks so much!
    AmyBee - to add on to what the others have said here - you might try a strand test.

After you clarify and before you moisturize or anything else - test a few shed strands. If you take one and attempt to stretch - and it snaps quickly - it needs moisture big time.

If it stretches a lot and won't really 'return' (like a spring) - but eventually snaps - you need protein.

If it will stretch a bit then return - you're pretty well balanced. (Google this and you'll get lots of info on it!)

Some of us wind up needing protein but don't ever get that classic 'mushy' feeling hair that typically denotes needing protein. But our hair isn't retaining moisture that we put on (because it needs protein first.)

If you look at my signature - my ends are lighter than my scalp - I have continuous sun damage from the amount of outdoor activities I do - and so I have to do a protein treatment about every 6-8 weeks. (sometimes I go longer but I can really tell when I do.)

Once I do a protein treatment - my hair is in pretty stellar shape for a few weeks - then it starts to fade and won't really absorb moisture on the ends anymore (they dry within a few minutes of being out of the shower no matter what I put in them!)

Last - once you can make it to like APL - maybe you can micro-trim regularly yourself as lapushka mentions? Every few weeks take off just a bit so that you're maintaining length but getting rid of some of that damage?

Good luck! Glad that you're sticking with it!

Shoulder~APL~BSL
    ~Waist - Onward to Hip?!

Southwest/New England/Deep South/Appalachia
    Length
    42/42/42
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

Howdy--it sounds like dagny has some great advice for you. The thing that immediately stuck out to me in the routine that you describe is applying oil several days after the wash. If your hair is losing moisture very quickly, then by that point the oil would be doing more to keep any ambient moisture out of the strand rather than in. Applying before you wash, as lapushka suggested, or else when your hair is still damp, is probably a better match.

When you started washing more frequently, did that do anything to help the moisture problem? Your hair absorbs moisture by getting wet or being in humid environments, so getting it wet more often rather than less could be helpful. ("Getting wet" doesn't necessarily mean "washing it," if you're worried about mechanical damage.) That's something to try if you noticed a change in your hair with the less frequent wash schedule, or after you rule out the "clarify and start from a clean slate" thing.

Although I don't think it's super likely in your case, another possibility is that your hair needs more time to absorb moisture. This has always been a big problem for me. I usually wet my hair down, put on a humectant-y conditioner, put on a shower cap and a towel, and let it sit for an hour or two while I'm doing chores around the house. Time and heat (from the towel) both help a great deal.
    Last edited by shelomit; January 15th, 2021 at 05:05 PM. Reason: got rid of a weird fragment of text after the last paragraph--? dunno how it got there

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Thanks for the reply!
    Unfortunately I'm only at collar bone so far. After that point I'll maybe give it a go but im not sure im brave enough! I did find a hairdresser who was not too scissor happy last time, but I'm going to try everything under the sun before I lose any length. Ideally I'd like to get to armpit length then trim but not sure - will just play it by ear.
    Thanks again!
    I would just not worry about it, then, and keep growing. It is short enough and if the damage isn't too bad, growing it out is perfectly doable. But you're always the best judge of that.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)