Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is your hair real

Length
    SL/Knee+/Knee+
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Default Is your hair real

I’m amazed at how many times I’ve been asked this question over the last few years. Last year I even had a stranger yank my braid which hurt a little after asking me if it’s real. Is natural long hair really that uncommon? Do people ask you if your hair is real?
    Hello

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: Is your hair real

Someone at one time yanked my hair to see if it was a wig. It was fiery red henna hair back then. I'm still thinking, and what if it were a wig, would you have risked embarrassing me in front of other people? Still bothers me to this day.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    ChinL/WL/TERM
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

Yes, I get that question asked towards me all of the time, and people always yank or pull on it to see if it's real or not, and that yanking and pulling hurts. It's really annoying.

Length
    16/38/TBL
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Never while down but when it was shorter I wore a messy bun a lot and I had someone ask me where I got my cute bun from. It confused me until they explained that you can buy 'hair scrunchies' to wrap around your natural hair. She thought mine was fake because my bun is so much lighter than my scalp due to growing out heavy bleach.
    CBL/APL/BSL​/MBL/Waist/Hip/TBL

Length
    Pixie/Chin/WL?
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

I haven’t experienced it myself but I’ve certainly heard of it happening. For people that try to pull it though, i always think, what was their game plan? Either they pull off the person’s wig and look like an absolute jerk, or they pull on their real hair, which hurts them and also makes them look like an absolute jerk. There’s no win condition. Keep your hands to yourself!

Type
    1b/1c/M/iii

Once when i wore my braid down i felt a sharp hard tug (really hurt)i turned to see a man who was about in his 60's perhaps,and he said to me "oh just checking to see if its real" since then i never wear a braid down when i go out,nor my hair loose either,i remember my mum saying wrap it up from now on for safety,yeah i sure do that!

Length
    0.25/52/Term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Touching no. Asking yes. It happens when I have my hair loose or braided.

Be nice or the beast will scream

Lady Raven, Guardian of the Enchanted Forests of Nevermore. In The Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    Chin/TBL/???
    Type
    1c/M/ii

I get this a lot. More often when I wear it up.

I think hair extensions are so common now that people want to know if our hair is due to our patience or pocket book!

Length
    SL/?/?
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon View Post
    I’m amazed at how many times I’ve been asked this question over the last few years. Last year I even had a stranger yank my braid which hurt a little after asking me if it’s real. Is natural long hair really that uncommon? Do people ask you if your hair is real?
    Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Someone at one time yanked my hair to see if it was a wig. It was fiery red henna hair back then. I'm still thinking, and what if it were a wig, would you have risked embarrassing me in front of other people? Still bothers me to this day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark40 View Post
    Yes, I get that question asked towards me all of the time, and people always yank or pull on it to see if it's real or not, and that yanking and pulling hurts. It's really annoying.
    Quote Originally Posted by SelenVinland View Post
    I haven’t experienced it myself but I’ve certainly heard of it happening. For people that try to pull it though, i always think, what was their game plan? Either they pull off the person’s wig and look like an absolute jerk, or they pull on their real hair, which hurts them and also makes them look like an absolute jerk. There’s no win condition. Keep your hands to yourself!
    Quote Originally Posted by Garnetgem View Post
    Once when i wore my braid down i felt a sharp hard tug (really hurt)i turned to see a man who was about in his 60's perhaps,and he said to me "oh just checking to see if its real" since then i never wear a braid down when i go out,nor my hair loose either,i remember my mum saying wrap it up from now on for safety,yeah i sure do that!
    I cannot imagine walking up to someone and touching their hair let alone YANKING it? Why do these people feel so entitled? What do they expect to happen? I am surprised none of you have turned around and whacked them because I think that is the only worthy response!!

Secretly a Bald Dude AmaryllisRed's Avatar
    Length
    MBL/CBL/cheez
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Never once in all my life.
    Hair is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
    My not-usually-hair-related blog is at www.thecoffeelessmom.wordpress.com