Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is your hair real

Length
    SL/CL/CL
    Type
    2a/2b/M/iii

Default Re: Is your hair real

Yeah, I've had people touch my hair and ask if it was real, but no one has ever pulled it. I'm neurodivergent, so I am really sensitive to overstimulation and such—so someone coming by and tugging on my hair, aw heck naw it would go over very poorly

Lady Scarlette, Traveler of the Road to Dawn in the Order of Long Haired Knights
    {aka that witch who really loves ducks}

Length
    APL/MBL/TBL
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Not once in my life, but I have had people ask me if my hair is naturally straight because they think I use a straightener

Length
    ChinL/MBL+/Term
    Type
    2c/3a/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by BuddhaBelle View Post
    I cannot imagine walking up to someone and touching their hair let alone YANKING it? Why do these people feel so entitled? What do they expect to happen? I am surprised none of you have turned around and whacked them because I think that is the only worthy response!!
    Yeah, you're definitely right that whacking them is is the only worthy response!!

Length
    NL/APL/HL
    Type
    4a/C/ii/iii

Yes, and sticking fingers in it or pulling it - and my hair is not even that long.
    three months heat free
    NL |SL | APL | BSL | WSL | HL
    flaws are the most advanced form of art.

Length
    12"/Calf/Calf
    Type
    2b/F/iii

I have had people pick it up and admire it, and one friend brandish a knife and offer to cut it off for me (he was joking) but the only person who has pulled my braid is my older brother. ETA: And my art teacher pulled it rather hard once too, he obviously didn't realise how painful it is having your hair pulled. he meant no harm by it. I have had many people ask if it is real though! They usually say something like "Wow, is that all your own hair?"
    Last edited by Sarahlabyrinth; January 11th, 2021 at 03:25 PM.
    JESUS, MY LORD AND SAVIOUR

Length
    Shave/33 in/?
    Type
    1c/F/M/i/ii

I had a strange man touch my hair once when I was in the supermarket with my daughter, he said he was checking if it was real seriously freaked me out!

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I cannot imagine walking up to someone and touching their hair let alone YANKING it? Why do these people feel so entitled? What do they expect to happen? I am surprised none of you have turned around and whacked them because I think that is the only worthy response!!
    Oh I turned around, and stared. It was my co-worker / boss no less. Yep. That happened. Wasn't the healthiest of environments, because that dude turned stalker too. (whole other story)
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Calf/Calf+
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Twice asked: once by a colleague when I had it down in rag curls for World Book Day - she'd only ever seen me with it in a bun before and had absolutely no idea I had long hair until then
    Second time was after the dentist (so I had it in a braid) and on the way home I popped into a shop with the braid down. I was on foot and could only make it a few minutes so went to sit in the car when my body was done and the cashier asked my Mum if my hair was real. He then told her that his wife had had her hair to her bottom, as did his daughter when she was young and I'd reminded him a bit of them.

In the past when I wore the length down more often, I did have friends playfully pull it - not hard but not so gently as to feel awful (sensory issues). Sometimes it was almost a greeting if they walked up behind me, and that was fine because I knew their intentions were benign. That was always at hip~tailbone though; the last time anyone touched my hair without asking was at about knee length, the last time I wore it in a ponytail - a friend saw it then held her hand around the length and sort of glid it down the length to find out where it stopped. That was fine too, if unexpected. My only problem with friends or trusted acquaintances (e.g. friendly work colleagues) touching my hair is if they touch my head. That's a sensory issue and I sort of find I hunch my head down into my shoulders, a bit like when a chicken hunches down when she's wary of being stroked!

But I've never had any actual problems so far, and considering the only time I might rarely wear the length down now is around friends, I don't anticipate any either.
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Quote Originally Posted by Garnetgem View Post
    Once when i wore my braid down i felt a sharp hard tug (really hurt)i turned to see a man who was about in his 60's perhaps,and he said to me "oh just checking to see if its real" since then i never wear a braid down when i go out,nor my hair loose either,i remember my mum saying wrap it up from now on for safety,yeah i sure do that!
    I'm a terrible person, but I would've had to curb the urge to yank... something... of his-- "oh just checking to see if it's real."

Sometimes I wish I had the presence of mind that I would do that. "Sorry, but if someone grabs me from behind, I assume I'm being physically assaulted so I defend myself." (And, some day they might well do it to someone with PTSD or anxiety, and either get badly injured or cause someone a meltdown-- better they learn the lesson from me than the hard way.)

However, I do tend to involuntarily shriek when my hair is pulled-- usually just small amounts, not my whole braid-- so that might be interesting if they think they're being cute and suddenly I'm screaming bloody murder...

I've had the question-- either "is that your real hair" or "is that all your hair"; one time I was finally sick of it and replied "no, I'm just holding it for someone," and the person got all offended ("I was just asking a question") and then my mom yelled at me for being "mean." Can't win. But I was pretty sick of other people thinking they were entitled to my time because they wanted to ask rude questions. (And yes, I was taught as a child that you do not ask someone if something on them is fake-- "is that your real hair/boobs/hair color/nails/leg?" From now on that will be my response-- a hard stare and a deadpan "I was raised that you do not ask people if their parts are fake" and then walk away and let them think about that.)

I've never had a random person grab my hair, though, thank heaven. I've had friends or coworkers do it and I don't mind that, but total strangers, no.
    Putting it in my signature because I have to say it so often:
    Do what works for your hair, not what other people say is "right" or "wrong." If it works for you, it's not wrong. If it doesn't work for you, it's not right.

Length
    Short/Neck+/Floor

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Someone at one time yanked my hair to see if it was a wig. It was fiery red henna hair back then. I'm still thinking, and what if it were a wig, would you have risked embarrassing me in front of other people? Still bothers me to this day.
    I love how people think just because something is different that it gives them the right to touch you. I get that type of thing being alternative, I've had a person corner me coming out of a super market almost grabbing me then shoving their phone in my face so they could show their girlfriend they were video calling. If it wasn't for the whole shock of it all I'd have given them a piece of my mind.