Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi! New (lopsided) user here!

Default Hi! New (lopsided) user here!

Hello!

I'm based in the UK, currently in Tier 4.

I'm chronically ill and until recently have suffered from undiagnosed inflammation for years, leading to constant intense hairfall and poor quality hair. It would grow to maybe APL/BSL because of just bring too ill and tired to get to a hairdresser. Being too fatigued to keep on top of brushing it and detangling it properly it'd turn into a bird's nest and I'd have it cut to my shoulders or above, rinse and repeat for years. I also like to dye it a bright, unnatural red but due to my health I just don't have the energy to keep on top of it so it gets dyed (badly, using swartzkopf live colour box dye on the whole length every time so bits of it get double or triple bleached depending how long it is since I last chopped it) every six months and grows out between times.

A couple of years ago I realised that I was fed up of hiding behind my hair because I was self conscious of my double chin so I shaved off a chunk on one side to make it impossible and have had a shaved side ever since-at least until lockdown started. My shoulders are not stable and can't handle moving the way that necessary so I can't shave it myself and my husband isn't keen on the idea of giving me a hand so that section is now long enough to tuck behind my ear!

Anyway, all this to say- I recently looked down at my hair and realised that people who had been telling me 'gosh your hair is getting long!' were right! It's nearly waist length, and though it's clearly not in great nick from being neglected, for the past couple of years I've managed to make some big improvements in my inflammation levels. There's more of it and though I'm still not brushing it properly it's not tangling on itself as soon as I blink. It looks like hair and not a rat's nest!

I kind of miss my shaved side- it really did do a lot for my self image and I think I will put it back in when someone can help me out

Default Re: Hi! New (lopsided) user here!

Whoops! I'm on my phone in bed at the moment and a hand spasm posted for me before I was finished and got a chance to self edit and pare down my rambling. I can't work out how to edit, if that's even possible at this member level, apologies!

Uh to sum up quickly now: I want to put my side shave back in even though some hair styles will probably be impossible or odd with it, but otherwise I want to learn to take care of my hair properly! That's my goal for 2021, to build on the progress I've made in other kinds of health care for the past few years.

I found this community after going down a hair toy rabbit hole when deciding to replace the pencil I've been using with a Real Hairstick, and I'm very excited to have access to an incredible resource for advice and such friendly people!

Length
    ?/WL/FTL
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Hello and welcome!

Southwest/New England/Deep South/Appalachia
    Length
    42/42/42
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Howdy! It's nice to meet you : ) Like several other people on this forum, I also struggle with chronic health issues, including symptoms of fatigue and limited mobility--so you aren't alone there <3 Hearing about the self-image boost that changing up your hairstyle provided you gave me a big smile. I hope you will find a happy online home here!

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Welcome!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Quote Originally Posted by shelomit View Post
    Howdy! It's nice to meet you : ) Like several other people on this forum, I also struggle with chronic health issues, including symptoms of fatigue and limited mobility--so you aren't alone there <3 Hearing about the self-image boost that changing up your hairstyle provided you gave me a big smile. I hope you will find a happy online home here!
    Hi shelomit! I see there's a Long Hair And Disabled group but I don't have enough post history yet to take a peek. Looking forward to it!

Thank you, and Feral_ and lapushka, for the warm welcome!

Length
    BSL/floor/floor
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/iii

Welcome to LHC! I hope you'll learn a lot here.

Length
    0.25/52/Term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Welcome!

Be nice or the beast will scream

Lady Raven, Guardian of the Enchanted Forests of Nevermore. In The Order of the Long Haired Knights

Welcome!

Type
    1b/1c/M/iii

Welcome!