Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Has anyone tried LUSH for hair?

Default Has anyone tried LUSH for hair?

I love LUSH for body soap, but has anyone here tried their shampoos, conditioners and especially Henna?
    I want to Henna really badly, but I am afraid of a disaster. I figure LUSH henna might be much easier to make.

Had anyone tried it? Did it work out ok?

How about LUSH conditioners? Are they as good as the salesgirls say?

Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

I've used several of the lush shampoos. I consider them no better than bottled commercial shampoo. They are wonderfully convenient for travelling. I do like the fragrances. I have the anise smelling one right now and it is delicious smelling. The Karma Komba is nice too.
    "If you’re bothered by every rub, how will you ever be polished?”- Rumi

Length
    --/Fgrtp/knee
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

The brown henna turned my hair green. The red one was perfect!

Most of the conditioners are too light and the shampoos too harsh.

H'suan wen hau treatment is fantastic (the smell lingers so if you don't like the smell don't try.) makes me really shiny.

Big is what I use when my hair feels like it has build up. I love juicy is also good for that.

Shampoo bars that work good for me are Hard. and karma comba.

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

LUSH henna is an absolute pain to work with. Absolute PAIN.

You'd be better off dealing with the powder BAQ stuff than LUSH's stuff. It's the same thing minus a bunch of impurities LUSH adds (like cocoa butter)
    Lady Nemetona of the Blessed Circle in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    18/24/28
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Magsi View Post
    I love LUSH for body soap, but has anyone here tried their shampoos, conditioners and especially Henna?
    I want to Henna really badly, but I am afraid of a disaster. I figure LUSH henna might be much easier to make.

Had anyone tried it? Did it work out ok?

How about LUSH conditioners? Are they as good as the salesgirls say?
    What color are you after? Lush Rouge and the Marron usually give good, copper or cinnamon reds: the Brun and the Noir are not advised for those with bleached or very light hair as they can give a greenish/blueish tone, unless you added extra red (from, say, the Rouge).

Google for Lush North American Forums. They have a couple of 'Caca' threads running in the 'product information and questions' forum. I lurk there from time to time!

Oh and go and read customer reviews on each of the henna's they sell - there are loads.

Some say that Lush henna is less dramatic than BAQ henna (pure henna) and more subtle. To me thats a plus. Others would say that's not true at all.

Length
    20/29/Waist
    Type
    1a/F/M/ii

I've not used the LUSH henna, but have used the shampoos and conditioners. I agree that they are pretty harsh on hair, they may be solid but still have SLS (although I think there is a new one which doesn't?) in them. I found that the round individual bars were harsher than the cut block ones. To me, they were nothing special really over liquid shampoos, unless you need something solid for travelling etc. The conditioners were ok, I need a light conditioner so I guess that's why. I agree with willowcandra about H'suan Wen Hua - it's a great conditioning treatment - probably the only thing I would buy again now I don't live near a store, but I keep meaning to replicate it myself at home.

Length
    clssc/clssc/clssc
    Type
    2a/F/iii

I've been using the new Squeaky Green shampoo bar and it works reallly well for me. I'll buy it again, definitely. They're reformulating most of their bars to be SLS-free and I'm anxiously awaiting the new version of New, their cinnamon bar.

I've never used their henna although looking at it, I agree that it looks like a pain in the butt to use compared to powdered henna. I've used the conditioners, but none of them were right for my hair. The H'suan Wen Hua is lovely and works well, but be prepared for the pumpkin-pie scent to stick around for a while.

Also, if you don't like SLS, it's in H'suan. Doesn't bother me on my length--I just avoid it on my scalp.
    - Kleis

Length
    pixie/22.5/???
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Another vote for Squeaky Green here. It's the best shampoo bar I have ever used. I think I have the new version of New, too. Pretty good but it doesnt give me the shine and bounce that SG does.

I also like Big shampoo, but it trashes my old dyed ends. I think it will be fine once they're all trimmed off.

I don't use their conditioners as I dont like to have SLS in my conditioner, and their henna is a complete pain to use I havent used it on my hair but one of my friends uses it and I have seen what she does. BAQ powder for me all the way.

I also love their Soft Touch hand lotion bar, and many of their bath bubble slices.
    1" (03/13), 18" (05/14); 6yrs off LHC, pixied 10/17, now 22”
    Maybe goals: BSL 28, WL 36, TB 42, CL 50, Knee 62

Length
    Hip/Neck/???
    Type
    2c/F/ii/iii

I never used their henna either, but I seriously don't get why anyone would feel the need to add cocoa butter to henna and form it into a bar. What, why?

I also have found some not-so-truths about it on their website. They say it will wash out in a few weeks. Hmm? If what they have in there is really henna, there is every potential that it will not wash out, ever. Perhaps they are relying on it being mixed with a fat (bad for dye uptake) or just being old or whatever, but I don't think that's safe to assume about any henna, mixed with anything, ever.

Based on things like the above, I don't tend to trust them or think that they know what they are doing. JMO.
    Battle Wench Arvoreen of the Scything Curls in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

For reference, the steps to using LUSH henna are:

1. Buy henna.
    2. Put a couple of blocks in plastic bag and smoosh with hammer while pretending henna is your boss.
    3. Mix with warm liquid.
    4. Put on hair.
    5. Profit!

I use the marron and love it. Their shampoos are very nice but the first ingredient is SLS, which irritates my scalp a little. I also like Jungle, their solid conditioner, but I melt a little of it at a time and dilute it with a little jojoba oil and a lot of water.