Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To henna or not to henna...

Default To henna or not to henna...

I have always loved red hair, and have dyed my hair red on more than one occasion. I have dark blonde hair naturally with tones of red and have been growing my hair out for two years from a pixie, and have about four inches of bleached end, but the rest is my virgin hair, after not dying for 2 years as well. But I'm bored. And I don't want to go back to chemical dyes, both because Im 20 wks pregnant, and because I keep cutting my hair because it gets so damaged. I want to grow my hair long and have it be beautiful and healthy. But i get bored, and want to do something. Henna has come to my mind the last few weeks and I want to so so badly. But it scares me a little. I could potentially love it and be fine being committed...but if I do it and can't go back unless I just grow it out and cut it off? Ah that scares me. I don't know what my question is, I don't know if I want to be talked out of it or encouraged to do it. I have an issue with getting an idea in my head to do something and just doing it...but I am trying to be less impulsive this time after almost growing out my hair to complete natural...but I don't know if I can get the desire to try henna out of my head. I like the idea that henna is natural, so though it's not my natural hair color, it is a completely natural hair color and I feel it may feel different than chemical dyes. But maybe not. I don't know what to do! I plan on buying the light mountain red on amazon if I go through with it. I also have a lot of grays starting and Im only 30. So I don't know how well henna will work or look for that.

edit: here is a pic so I can get opinions on if henna would even look right on me?

edit: let me know if it shows up, I'm not good at this url picture thing.
    Last edited by ManeGoal; November 29th, 2020 at 05:28 PM.

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Default Re: To henna or not to henna...

If you don't already dye your hair red with conventional dyes and are having doubts, I would suggest don't do it.
    Lady Nemetona of the Blessed Circle in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    Chin/CLSC/FTL
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Start collecting shed hairs. At least that way, instead of impulsively trying it out on your head, you can try it out without commitment.
    Lady Ravenlocks, Keeper of the Secret Library in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Daily wash and go, monthly henndigo, annual trimmer

Length
    Buzz/APL/Waist
    Type
    2b/F/M/iii

Since you are having doubts, it's best to ease into it. A couple routes you could take that I can think of (there are probably more):

1. Wait until you are no longer pregnant, then dye some test strands with henna and wait for them to oxidize (up to a week), and ask a hair colorist (a good one) to match the color with a temporary dye. That way, you could see what you look like in that shade of red/orange. It seems to me that most blonds suit henna very well. If you love it, then wear that color for a while to make SURE, then do the full henna in the exact way you did the test strands.

2. Start with either a low strength henna gloss or a low strength henna/cassia blend, and leave it on for a short time. You can layer that up as much as you like, which will bond more and more lawsone with your hair. This way, you can build up to a desired color. This is what I've done for the last two years, and I've been very happy with this method. It helps relieve the bored/impulsive feelings without committing to too much too soon. After months or a years, you may just go all in on a full henna dye. But at least you'll be sure if you do.

Lastly, if you get a pure henna, no added chemicals (I'd recommend Nightblooming on Etsy and Henna Sooq, since that's where I buy my herbs, but there are many sources; fire mountain has suboptimal sift imo), then you can bleach it after henna. I did a test bleach on my hennaed hair (40% strength mix) and it came out bright orange, but you can use a toner probably. I've never done it but many people have. Just don't count on it to work. You'll likely still have tones of orange if you try to remove it.

That's all I can think of for now. Just be sure you want to be a redhead forever. I have no regrets, I love henna, so I can only recommend it (with caution)

Quote Originally Posted by LadyStardust View Post
    Since you are having doubts, it's best to ease into it. A couple routes you could take that I can think of (there are probably more):

1. Wait until you are no longer pregnant, then dye some test strands with henna and wait for them to oxidize (up to a week), and ask a hair colorist (a good one) to match the color with a temporary dye. That way, you could see what you look like in that shade of red/orange. It seems to me that most blonds suit henna very well. If you love it, then wear that color for a while to make SURE, then do the full henna in the exact way you did the test strands.

2. Start with either a low strength henna gloss or a low strength henna/cassia blend, and leave it on for a short time. You can layer that up as much as you like, which will bond more and more lawsone with your hair. This way, you can build up to a desired color. This is what I've done for the last two years, and I've been very happy with this method. It helps relieve the bored/impulsive feelings without committing to too much too soon. After months or a years, you may just go all in on a full henna dye. But at least you'll be sure if you do.

Lastly, if you get a pure henna, no added chemicals (I'd recommend Nightblooming on Etsy and Henna Sooq, since that's where I buy my herbs, but there are many sources; fire mountain has suboptimal sift imo), then you can bleach it after henna. I did a test bleach on my hennaed hair (40% strength mix) and it came out bright orange, but you can use a toner probably. I've never done it but many people have. Just don't count on it to work. You'll likely still have tones of orange if you try to remove it.

That's all I can think of for now. Just be sure you want to be a redhead forever. I have no regrets, I love henna, so I can only recommend it (with caution)
    Very helpful thank you. I can only order from amazon because I don't use credit card so I use amazon gift cards. I'm a little confused on the cassia, what would you recommend and possibly something I can buy on amazon?

Length
    Pixie/2"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

You can mix some prepared henna into conditioner to make a gloss and just bump your color up with that.
    I once went from ashy blond to a very light golden blond using a gloss for 15 minutes.

Another option is to use manic panic. Its not permanent, non damaging and not made with any harsh chemicals.

Cassia is a herb you mix with henna to make a lighter color. I've found a weak henna gloss works just as good. Yes, you can buy it on amazon

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
    You can mix some prepared henna into conditioner to make a gloss and just bump your color up with that.
    I once went from ashy blond to a very light golden blond using a gloss for 15 minutes.

Another option is to use manic panic. Its not permanent, non damaging and not made with any harsh chemicals.

Cassia is a herb you mix with henna to make a lighter color. I've found a weak henna gloss works just as good. Yes, you can buy it on amazon
    I like the sound of that! thank you!

Length
    APL/Hip/FTL

I agree with the advice of going slow by mixing with cassia and/or conditioner and leaving on for shorter amounts of time at first. And definitely strand test to make sure you like the tint. You can always get more saturated further down the road if you want to and like the tint but you can’t count on making it lighter

Type
    1b/1c/F/i/ii

The "permament=forever" aspect of henna is both a blessing and a curse I love henna but it's apain to grow out. You could try the deposit dye for few weeks of different colour. Maybe it will be enought to fight the bordom? Or the henna/cassia gloss thing if you really want to start playing with herbs. As for the deposit dyes right now I'm looking for the most "copper" ones to use on my grow out so they match the henna and I have to tell you it is posiable and fun I got two different brands already. Last time I grew out henna I didnt know it was available option.
    Last edited by poli; December 1st, 2020 at 03:25 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by poli View Post
    The "permament=forever" aspect of henna is both a blessing and a curse I love henna but it's apain to grow out. You could try the deposit dye for few weeks of different colour. Maybe it will be enought to fight the bordom? Or the henna/cassia gloss thing if you really want to start playing with herbs. As for the deposit dyes right now I'm looking for the most "copper" ones to use on my grow out so they match the henna and I have to tell you it is posiable and fun I got two different brands already. Last time I grew out henna I didnt know it was available option.
    Deposit dyes, haven't heard of these. Are they damaging at all? And they aren't permanent?