Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advice totally lost

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Default Need advice totally lost

Hi all lovely friends.
    How do you guys know what are ur hair requirement at the moment
    How do you guys overcome hair obsession I am new in this journey but it's like I m getting to obsessed with them always looking for new diys looking lot of YouTube videos always thinking abt hair and how to repair damage and I think I am lot stress out ABT it.
    can someone guide me how I just left my hair alone because there so much out everywhere I am just lost sorry don't know what's going on.

Length
    12"/Calf/Calf
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Default Re: Need advice totally lost

Welcome here! What are you doing to your hair at the moment? Are you having problems with your hair?
    JESUS, MY LORD AND SAVIOUR

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Right now I m using mask or oil 2 times a week so washing hair 2 times a week and recently transitioned from sulphate free shampoo to diy shampoos one month ago and I think my hair are loving it but how do you guys know if some routine is working or not because I am always changing can't get stick to any one and doing s and d method too for split ends

Length
    ?/MBL/FTL
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Welcome The information on here and elsewhere can be overwhelming when you’re starting out. Everyone’s hair is different and what works for someone might not work for you. Best not to switch things up too frequently or you won’t know what’s working as there’s too many variables. So stay with a routine for a few weeks before changing things. You can guarantee if you’ve a problem though someone on here has the answer as they’ve experienced it!

I’ve discovered that less is more for my hair, so I don’t use a lot of products etc, but I’m lucky as my scalp seems to prefer that. I do water only for scalp washing once every 7-14 days and use a conditioner to rinse out any oil treatment I put in, but that’s usually once a month. The rest of the time it’s just brushed / combed and one of 3 ‘styles’ - plait, bun or loose, I’m sadly low maintenance!

Length
    shldr/waist/???
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

So your obsession with constantly changing your routine is probably natural, and something I think most people experience when they first start growing and caring for their hair

Here's what I think you need to do:
    1. Keep a journal or sheet or similar of all the products (and the combinations you used them in) as you try them that your hair likes. This is in case your hair stops liking a routine or just goes "bad" from product buildup, you can clarify then you know something you can go back to. For example, if you were using a specific brand of shampoo and conditioner for several weeks along with a specific mask and oils, write that down and make a note like "When using this combination of products I liked how my hair felt". Do the same for combinations your hair DOESN'T like, such as "When using this combination of products my hair felt sticky/dry/whatever and I didn't like it". EDIT TO ADD: If your hair does not like a particular combination, you do not need to use it more than one wash for your data to be accurate.

2. To help with the above, don't switch too frequently, maybe switch a single product once every two weeks. Otherwise your data will get muddled up and may not be accurate.

3. Don't worry about it unless it's adversely affecting your budget, time, or storage space. You might "grow out of it" after awhile. I used to obsess with my hair, now I kind of ignore it. I sometimes try new products but I'm generally happy with what I'm using.

Other things to keep in mind:
    • Unless you use heat and bleach or dyes, your hair is probably not damaged. Flat irons and curling irons count as heat, blowdryers don't always count, it depends on blowdryer heat setting. If the blowdryer is not blowing hair hot enough to burn your hand or scalp at the distance you hold it from your hair, it won't be causing damage. This is generally the cool setting, and depending on dryer, the medium setting. High setting can cause damage.
    • Other things that can cause damage, though, separate from the above: pony tail holders with metal, combs with bad seams (usually only cheap combs have these), and any hair sticks or such with bad seams (those are usually very cheap kinds, most in my experience do not have seams). Ripping through your hair when combing or brushing can also cause damage, but if you're not doing that, you're fine.
    • Wearing your hair down can cause damage, but its generally not going to be severe as the items above and if you're careful with your hair it's sometimes negligible.
    • Everyone has split ends, and while S&D is a great way to control them, you will never get them all so don't stress if you have split ends.

Just remember, if you're having fun with your hair and are happy with it, it's generally ok to experiment, especially if you enjoy the experimentation.

My routine consists of detangling daily with a Denman brush, wearing it up daily with an acrylic fork, washing it between every 1 to 3 weeks with head and shoulders and a random conditioner. I mostly ignore it unless I want it to look nice for an event.
    Lady Nemetona of the Blessed Circle in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Thanks how long is ur hair

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I second akurah's suggestion for a hair journal. You can not start a blog here yet (too little posts) but get a piece of paper and do it that way, until you can do it here.

Good luck & welcome.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    shldr/waist/???
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lovely26 View Post
    Thanks how long is ur hair
    My hair is currently waist length. I used to keep it at knee but at knee length it annoys me quite a bit. I may not bother to cut again until I hit knee again though, because I can't be bothered to do much with my hair.
    Lady Nemetona of the Blessed Circle in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    27/29/34
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

This is a great idea, to keep a hair journal. In my quest to find the perfect product, I have found that more expensive does not necessarily mean better for my hair and that it is so true, oftentimes, that less is more. I will have fun, with more natural methods this winter, like WO and/or CO, because I feel that any commercial shampoo dries out my length and ends and gives me the straw broomstick look that I don't want. I think I have to ditch these shampoos altogether. I think if you are feeling stressed about the process and the choices, remember, that your natural hair knows best. I mean, if you leave it alone, it will be able to heal itself over time. I truly believe that. I am new here, also, and have yet to live the experience to reach WL, but I feel like my hair should feel healthy each step of the way, and if it doesn't, then it is telling me that something I did to it didn't work and I shouldn't do that again, or I should eliminate the product I was using.

It's absolutely natural! In this moment I have the same with my first SLR camera

Many years ago I have that problem with my hair - when I started care about my hair and everywhere I read different advice... and everybody wrote about "what shouldn't be in my shampoo/conditioner" (so many long words, hard to remember!).
    Here I learned I don't must wash my hair to often, buns are my best friends and I just chill out - my hair like it .