Thread: Is this achievable with henna/hendigo?

Type
    1b/F/i

Default Is this achievable with henna/hendigo?

Hello lovelies!

So I have recently realised that I am not quite ready to give up on henna, as I just love the conditioning properties and shine it leaves my hair with. I am also very scared of what a semi/demi permanent dye would do to my already baby-fine hair.

I have also realised that I don't think that warmer tones really suit my fair skin, and I think I should return to a cooler tone for my hair colour (naturally mid brunette). I also think it might help me with the grey roots = stark orange hairline issue I always seem to have after touching up

And finally, I think I have discovered my ideal hair shade/hair goals. Hence me posting here...

Would any of you lovelies be so kind as to advise whether this is achievable by henna (and I presume indigo)? It's sort of a deep chocolatey brown but with a purple-ish tinge. I can't be sure that some of this isn't studio lighting, I don't really know, and I don't think that she uses henna either (she's a British TV personality btw). I have a load of henna purchased already, and a lot of grey roots ready to give this a go. I'm just a bit scared of using indigo for the first time, and don't want to do so if it's not really going to give me what I'm after.

My hair/hair goals: https://imgur.com/a/e93EHiY

Thank you sooooo much!

Length
    Chin/CLSC/FTL
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Default Re: Is this achievable with henna/hendigo?

What a pretty color! I can’t say I’ve ever achieved with henndigo, or with repeated hennas. Some people can pick up a slight purple with repeated henna applications. Henndigo just seems to go reddish brown, brown, or black.

Honestly, I think achieving that color would be much more easily achievable with deposit-only dyes. These can be mixed with or layered over henna, if you wanted to preserve the conditioning benefits but also get the color that you want.
    Lady Ravenlocks, Keeper of the Secret Library in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Daily wash and go, monthly henndigo, annual trimmer

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

I'm fairly sure her hair is a shade of black (I think dyed, but not 100% sure) so that purple hue is the lighting Not that that answers your question, but just so you know.

Deposit-only could be fun!
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

I don't think that shade will be achievable by henna/indigo.

I have darker hair than you do naturally, but I got a shade similar to what that person has using Elumen VV@all. You could probably get a similar shade using VV@all and a mix of one of their cool blacks, but I'd highly recommend you have a professional do that mixing unless you wanted to gamble on the outcome (obviously does not apply if you are a cosmetologist yourself). If you're cool with the solid purple though, the VV@all could get you close.

Elumen is pretty tricky to get your hands on if you're not a cosmetologist, despite it being safe to use at home. I bought mine from the lady who did my brows under the table. Elumen itself is also very permanent, on the level of henna permanent. You might be able to get it to budge but don't bet on it. They appear to recently have come out with something called Elumen Play which is semi-permanent, and might be safer to go with if you don't want to risk permanency. That one may or may not be easier to get compared to Elumen.
    Lady Nemetona of the Blessed Circle in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

What a pretty shade of red you've got, but I understand if you think it doesn't suit your complexion, I've had the exact same problem with henna. Loved the red, but not the orange tones on me.
    However, I had a similar shade of purple at some point with deposit dye over henna (Manic Panic fuchia shock - you can see the pink on my scalp, but because my hair is dark brown, the length got purple). As it faded, the henna kept a cooler shade for a while. And then you can always reapply.

Here's my natural hair colour (cool tones, although it usually can look a bit darker):

Here's my henna at its strongest, thanks to lighting:

And here's the purple over henna (sorry about the massive pic, it's been in my album for years, and I don't think I can edit it):
    Last edited by Amenahh; November 26th, 2020 at 01:09 AM.
    Neck / SL / APL / BSL / WL+ / HL / BCL / TBL!
    Dye-free since Dec 2018.
    2021 plan: grow & trim - get rid of layers & reach hip-BCL.

Length
    cbl/ftl/knee
    Type
    2c/3a/F/iii

You should check out the cherry cola/ burgundy henna thread- may of the hairs in that thread look like what you describe.
    ۞
    Lady Tyet, Weaver of the Endless Strands in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    buzz/bsl/waist
    Type
    1c/M/C/ii/iii

I've used this stuff on amazon a few times: https://www.amazon.com/Gloss-Medium-...6764748&sr=8-1

It feels a lot like manic panic or some other vegetable dye, and leaves hair conditioned. It's kind of expensive, especially if you have long hair. I used half the bottle for my BSL length hair and left it on for about an hour. Might be worth checking out to experiment with colors before taking the plunge.

Length
    SL/BSL/BSL
    Type
    2a/M/ii

After using henna only for two years, my hair eventually became a purplish almost-black. There was less burgundy for me than in the reference pic you included, but it definitely became a cool color:

The first picture is right before my first henna application, May 2015. The second pictures is after two years of diligent henna use (wish I had kept it up!) always roots-to-end, overnight application every 6 weeks. No indigo or any other dye but henna mixed with black tea. Taken May 2017.