Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello all! Advice for menopause and long hair?

Length
    APL/WL/CL

Default Re: Hello all! Advice for menopause and long hair?

Welcome! I'm a bit young for menopause but have experienced significant thinning through landscaping and then also as a medication side effect. So even though the cause is different, I'm hoping my advice may be of some use to you.
    I make a homemade scalp treatment blend using natural oils. Castor, peppermint and rosemary oil have all been scientifically tested to promote hair growth and thickness.
    Essential oils are very potent and castor oil is very heavy so I use a base of sweet almond oil as a carrier oil.
    I put them in a dropper bottle for easy application. So 3 tbsp sweet almond, 1 tbsp castor, and 5 drops each of essentail oils rosemary and peppermint.
    Apply throughout the scalp with the dropper, not enough just enough for a light coat, and scalp massage to work it in. You can leave it in for an hour before washing your hair and wash as normal.

Hope that helps!
    Keep going, keep growing

Type
    1b/1c/M/iii

Welcome!

Length
    27/29/34
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lilbee View Post
    Menopaused here too, and about to hit knee length for the first time in my life ! Don't give up your dreams because of such an irrelevant reason as age : if your hair is still growing, let it grow and be happy !
    Thank you! I appreciate very much the encouragement. Happy growing it will be!

Length
    27/29/34
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by fiords View Post
    Welcome! I'm a bit young for menopause but have experienced significant thinning through landscaping and then also as a medication side effect. So even though the cause is different, I'm hoping my advice may be of some use to you.
    I make a homemade scalp treatment blend using natural oils. Castor, peppermint and rosemary oil have all been scientifically tested to promote hair growth and thickness.
    Essential oils are very potent and castor oil is very heavy so I use a base of sweet almond oil as a carrier oil.
    I put them in a dropper bottle for easy application. So 3 tbsp sweet almond, 1 tbsp castor, and 5 drops each of essentail oils rosemary and peppermint.
    Apply throughout the scalp with the dropper, not enough just enough for a light coat, and scalp massage to work it in. You can leave it in for an hour before washing your hair and wash as normal.

Hope that helps!
    This is wonderful. Thank you so much for sharing this. I have made a note and am going to collect these items. Your hair is beautiful. I'm about one, maybe two inches shorter than you and your photo is an inspiration for me to achieve WL.

Length
    BSL/floor/floor
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/iii

Welcome sunseed

When my hair started to thin, I started to take a hair supplement called Bio•Sil. I've taken it consistently for years. Also, during the same time, I started scalp massages with oils and stopped dying my hair. After at least three years I noticed that my hair is not thin in those places anymore. My hair is a tad bit thinner than when I was a young adult, but it is very minimal now.
    I don't know if these suggestions will help, but I feel they helped me. Happy growing!!
    Last edited by Butterfly Blue; November 29th, 2020 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Specified it was a hair supplement

Goal = Hip
    Salt and Pepper Virgin Hair
    Bob ~ Shoulder Length ~ BSL ~ Waist ~ Hip

Length
    BSL/CL/CL
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Welcome!
    You are a beautiful creation! Psalm 139

Hello and welcome!

It would be worth having a blood test, if you haven’t already, it make sure your levels are intact, in particular iron and thyroid. I think it’s easy to put symptoms down to perimenopause but then investigations might show that something can be done about it. In which case, hooray!

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Stardust View Post
    Hello and welcome!

It would be worth having a blood test, if you haven’t already, it make sure your levels are intact, in particular iron and thyroid. I think it’s easy to put symptoms down to perimenopause but then investigations might show that something can be done about it. In which case, hooray!
    Oh definitely; seconding this. And they can test your hormone levels too, if you would wish.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    27/29/34
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

Oh, thank you, lapushka and Lady Stardust! These are great ideas! You, and all here, are so kind. I have started taking a very positively reviewed hair supplement, and also fish oil and evening primrose oil, and in addition, trying not to forget the usual ones like vitamin D. Plus, caring for my hair in a better way from all the good things I have learned on this forum. My hair is longer than it ever has been at 29” and with the onset of cold weather, I am needing to adjust my hair care routine quite a lot. I am excited and confident that I will be able to continue to grow and enjoy my long hair for a long time to come. Excited for when I can post pictures.