Thread: Newbie here and first time posting help needed

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Default Newbie here and first time posting help needed

Hi
    I am new in hair growning journey
    I had long hair from childhood but never taken care of it
    Right now my hair is 30inch but I had damage them by not brushing it correctly so lots off breakage and thinning from middle to ends
    Have not taken right vitamin so Def of iron and vit d
    Using any available shampoo not taking care doing oiling nothing
    So basically I was very harsh with them
    now I want to know if I can grow them longer by working on them or should I just cut them short
    Has anyone grew their hair back by working on vitamin deficiencies
    And if yes how much time it will take to see any results.
    Thanks and sorry for long post.

Length
    0.25/52/Term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Default Re: Newbie here and first time posting help needed

Welcome! You don't have to cut your hair. If you're getting all the nutrition you need now, you should be able to grow your hair

Be nice or the beast will scream

Lady Raven, Guardian of the Enchanted Forests of Nevermore. In The Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    Chin/APL/WL
    Type
    1b/M/iii

Welcome!

As TatsuOni said, there is no need to cut it all off. I'm currently growing out chemically damaged hair (lots and lots of box dye). By learning proper care techniques here on LHC, I have been able to keep the length I had and grow it longer instead of chopping everything off and starting again. If you would like to get rid of the damage while growing it longer, you could try microtrimming or just getting an occasionally an inch or two trimmed.

I would recommend to start with pampering your hair and see how it responds . In my case, after about 3 months of proper washing, conditioning, protective styles and sleeping with a silk bonnet and careful detangling (and no more dye), the quality of my hair had improved drastically. Good luck!
    CL - SL - CBL - APL - BSL - WL - ??
    2 years dye-free!

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Welcome!

If you gradually want to make your hair get in better shape, and not lose that much length, you can always "participate" in the microtrimming thread. It's kind of self-explanatory but it just is cutting your hair, as it grows, and for instance just talking half the growth every couple months, this way, the roots gradually grow in healthy and you keep your length; but it takes time & patience!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    10/18/tb
    Type
    1a/F/i

Hi Lovely26 and Welcome!!! I found that microtrims, henna, and co-washing made a huge difference for
    my 1af hair....... and a good wooden comb!

Length
    APL/WL/CL

Hi there!
    lapushka has a great point on trimming. Otherwise if you are eating fruits and vegetables and a balanced diet, there is no need for other nutrition. Hair supplements have been proven to be ineffective.
    However, using a good brush and adding small amounts of oil to your hair is a great start. Try to extend hair washing to every 4-6 days, and use more gentle shampoos. Don't use shampoo on the length, only the scalp.
    There is lots of good tips and tricks to find on this site. Hope that helps!
    Keep going, keep growing

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Thanks everyone for all the lovely advices will soon make a routine after some research and share.

Length
    27/29/34
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

Hi there! You are not alone! I am in the same "boat" as you. I just realized that I had better start taking care of my long hair, or I will never get the healthy length I dream of! With the change of the weather from summer to fall, my old hair care routine was clearly not working. Actually, I had no routine. Basically, the products I was using were very harsh and drying. I changed to more gentle products and am treating my hair more gentle these days, and I can already see the difference. For my fine thin hair, I need to avoid the sulfate shampoos and conditioners with silicones - they dry out my hair and make it brittle.

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

How many times a week do u use henna .

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Hi and welcome! It seems like we have similar hair! I also think that you could simply start taking care of your hair and go from there. Don't chop it off just yet if you want it long! As you go, you can just gradually trim a bit instead.

Some very simple steps for taking care of your hair include:
    - not using heat (straighteners, curling irons, or blow dryers on high heat setting)
    - not dyeing your hair
    - brushing your hair very gently, and preferably when it's dry
    - using protective hairstyles - braids and buns are great;
    - having a balanced and healthy diet overall
    - washing your hair less frequently (that doesn't work for everyone, but it does for many)

Apart from these, there are plenty of things you can gradually experiment with! You can try oiling your hair, using different types of shampoo and conditioners to see what works for you etc.
    You'll find a ton of ideas on this site.
    Happy growing!

Also, don't start henna without a lot of research, because the colour is very permanent.
    Neck / SL / APL / BSL / WL+ / HL / BCL / TBL!
    Dye-free since Dec 2018.
    2021 plan: grow & trim - get rid of layers & reach hip-BCL.