Thread: I'm back!

Length
    7/BSL/waist
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Default I'm back!

Hello!

I was a member here years ago, and learned so much. My life basically imploded (got divorced, and chopped my hair as part of my healing--one of the few things my ex loved and commented on over and over was my long hair, so at the time it felt like reclaiming my hair for myself). That all happened in 2011.

Since then, I met my now spouse. He's active duty military, so we've been a lot of places. Got married, had kids, and fast forward to now. My kids are 5.5 and 2.5, and we've been in Kansas since May of 2019. I'm teaching high school math full time. This year is insane, and is probably the hardest year I've had since I started my teaching career (this is my 7th year).

I've been on quite the hair journey since my big chop several years ago. I've kept it mostly short, with some periods of growing out here and there. The last time I got my hair cut was October of 2019. I had gotten busy, and was meaning to make an appointment to get it cut in March, when the world came to a screeching halt. My hair is now BSL, and I haven't had a hair cut in over a year (not by choice, but I'm trying to minimize all risk, especially since I'm currently teaching in person). I've grown to love having long hair again, now that I've been able to make the choice on my own. I remember a lot of what I learned last time, but since my hair has officially gotten too long and heavy to secure with hair ties alone, I figured I'd check to see if this community was still here. I'm glad everyone is here, and this place still exists! So many communities that I was a part of during a similar time in my life are no longer in existence.

I officially have NO hair toys, so I need some recommendations (especially ones that will arrive ASAP!). I remember loving Ketylo hair sticks--is he still making hair sticks? My hair is BSL, and has a few long layers. My hair is really fine and slippery though, so metal sticks I picked up on a whim do not hold my hair securely. I do sometimes wear my hair wet, so sticks or other toys that I can use while wet would be great. I tend towards a really simple, minimal aesthetic. Finally those of you that work out--do you do anything special to secure your hair? I have gotten into the spin bike with the Pelaton app during the pandemic, and figuring out what to do with my hair when I ride has been a real challenge. Thanks in advance for all the recommendations! I've got to get to work updating my profile picture...

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: I'm back!

Hi!

Welcome back. Quite a turn-around in your life! That's great.

My recommendation for accessories is Quattro. Ketylo is a thing of the past, for me personally. There's tons of other creators that have gotten more popular than those sticks. "Stick" (haha) around and you'll discover those stores for sure. I'm almost sure there's a good thread on sticks and forks around!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    7/BSL/waist
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Hi!

Welcome back. Quite a turn-around in your life! That's great.

My recommendation for accessories is Quattro. Ketylo is a thing of the past, for me personally. There's tons of other creators that have gotten more popular than those sticks. "Stick" (haha) around and you'll discover those stores for sure. I'm almost sure there's a good thread on sticks and forks around!
    Just from browsing, I could tell Quattro is a popular maker here. For good reason--the work is beautiful!

I was looking at the StarLite forks, and I'm a bit confused. They are described as hair forks, which to me tends to mean you can hold the hair with just one. In the listing, it's mentioned that you can order more than one. Do these work more like forks, or hair pins? If I purchased one for now, so that I can have something that will hold my hair up securely the whole day, will one be sufficient to keep it up?

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by EtherealJane View Post
    Just from browsing, I could tell Quattro is a popular maker here. For good reason--the work is beautiful!

I was looking at the StarLite forks, and I'm a bit confused. They are described as hair forks, which to me tends to mean you can hold the hair with just one. In the listing, it's mentioned that you can order more than one. Do these work more like forks, or hair pins? If I purchased one for now, so that I can have something that will hold my hair up securely the whole day, will one be sufficient to keep it up?
    I usually get "regular" 2-prong forks by him. Either a basic one, or one with a topper. I never got a pair, and it holds just fine. In fact aluminum 2-prong forks are my favorite.

Length
    7/BSL/waist
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I usually get "regular" 2-prong forks by him. Either a basic one, or one with a topper. I never got a pair, and it holds just fine. In fact aluminum 2-prong forks are my favorite.
    Awesome! That's enough for me. I ordered, and now I will stalk my mailbox...

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by EtherealJane View Post
    Awesome! That's enough for me. I ordered, and now I will stalk my mailbox...
    Yay!

BTW, can I say that it's awesome you are a math teacher? I loved my math teachers!

Length
    7/BSL/waist
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Yay!

BTW, can I say that it's awesome you are a math teacher? I loved my math teachers!
    Awww, thank you! I love it, and I love my students. What a year to be a teacher though, ha!

Length
    APL/WL/CL

Welcome back! It sounds like you've been through some rough but rewarding times. Makes for a colourful and wise life well lived!
    I'm personally a huge of antique or asian looking hair sticks.. ones made from bones or with nice floral touches, that sort of thing. Amazon and second hand shops have real winners. But that might be just my taste
    First time I have heard of Quattro, so I'll check this out! Always learning something new
    Keep going, keep growing

Length
    0.25/50/Term
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Welcome back!

I will crawl out from your screen

Lady Raven, Guardian of the Enchanted Forests of Nevermore. In The Order of the Long Haired Knights