Thread: how can i get notifications? as in if someone quotes me or posts on my threads etc?

Default how can i get notifications? as in if someone quotes me or posts on my threads etc?

hey peeps, as per thread title....how can i get notifications? as in if someone quotes me or posts on my threads etc? thanks

Length
    APL/WL/term
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Default Re: how can i get notifications? as in if someone quotes me or posts on my threads et

I'm wondering this same thing as well.

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Default Re: how can i get notifications? as in if someone quotes me or posts on my threads et

That's not a feature supported by vBulletin as far as I know. It's certainly not a feature we've ever had here. You can subscribe to specific threads though, which may have thread specific notification options on a per thread basis (but not a notification option for if you are quoted directly)
    Lady Nemetona of the Blessed Circle in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Nope, that's not done here AFAIK.

I just read almost every new post, and do a regular new answers search. Then I go through threads I am sure I posted in, which you can see from the little green arrow on the subject line (to the left).
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Long tea-time for hair neko_kawaii's Avatar
    Thats the temperature - not the speed limit.
    Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

If you go to "Settings" (top right) and scroll down to "General settings" (left side bar) you can change your default subscription setting. Look for "Default Thread Subscription Mode" and check out the options in the drop down menu. You will see three email options there if you would like to receive email notifications for threads you are subscribed to.

How to subscribe to threads:
    If your "Default Thread Subscription Mode" is anything but "do not subscribe" (which I think is the default) you will automatically be subscribed to any thread you comment on going forward. You can also subscribe to threads without commenting. At the top of each thread on the right hand side over the first post are a few drop down menus. Under "thread tools" choose "subscribe to this thread". That will take you to an options page and there you can customize how you are subscribed to specific threads (email or subscription only). You also have the option to organize your subscriptions into custom folders. That last can be very handy for relocating threads, but you have to manually organize each thread you subscribe to as the default subscription is to a generic "subscriptions" folder.

As far as receiving notifications for people mentioning you, no, the forum software does not support that. However, there is a manual work around.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumball View Post
    If you're quoted in a post, then it's much easier to tell if someone's responded to you. The more unique your username, the better off you are. What you can do is click on "Advanced Search" on the top right of the forum, then click on the "Search Single Content Type" tab.

Search In:

Search Type: Posts

Search for Posts:

Search Type: Posts
    Keyword(s): Your Username
    Set the keyword search to "Search Entire Posts"

Additional Options:

Sort Results by: Last Posting Date in Descending Order
    Show Results as: Posts

Then hit "Search Now" and enjoy any instance of your name popping up, in a quote or otherwise. Since I quoted you in this post, then you would see this post show up in the search results. If your username is more common, you might get irrelevant posts, too. I see when I'm quoted, but also if someone says, for example, "gumball machine" in a post.

BONUS: If you do this often, then before you hit "Search Now" press the "Go" button next to "Save Search Preferences". Then whenever you go back to that advanced search page it has all of that set up and ready to go. All your visits after that will be loading the page and hitting "Search Now".

tl:dr you can receive email notifications for new posts.

58.5 in, 2a, F, ii (3 in)
    Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Mod hat off. Mod hat on. Don't make me wear the mod hat, it messes up my hair. *grin*

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

neko, that is so easy. And still I keep doing things the hard way. Oh well, I love to read the forum.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Basically, there are not so many sections on the forum, so it is not so difficult to reread new posts

Quote Originally Posted by neko_kawaii View Post
    If you go to "Settings" (top right) and scroll down to "General settings" (left side bar) you can change your default subscription setting. Look for "Default Thread Subscription Mode" and check out the options in the drop down menu. You will see three email options there if you would like to receive email notifications for threads you are subscribed to.

How to subscribe to threads:
    If your "Default Thread Subscription Mode" is anything but "do not subscribe" (which I think is the default) you will automatically be subscribed to any thread you comment on going forward. You can also subscribe to threads without commenting. At the top of each thread on the right hand side over the first post are a few drop down menus. Under "thread tools" choose "subscribe to this thread". That will take you to an options page and there you can customize how you are subscribed to specific threads (email or subscription only). You also have the option to organize your subscriptions into custom folders. That last can be very handy for relocating threads, but you have to manually organize each thread you subscribe to as the default subscription is to a generic "subscriptions" folder.

As far as receiving notifications for people mentioning you, no, the forum software does not support that. However, there is a manual work around.

tl:dr you can receive email notifications for new posts.
    thanks for sharing

If I wonder whether someone has replied to/quoted me on a site, I'll just search all of my posts.
    Putting it in my signature because I have to say it so often:
    Do what works for your hair, not what other people say is "right" or "wrong." If it works for you, it's not wrong. If it doesn't work for you, it's not right.