Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: ***The Beard Thread - All Things Beards***

Length
    0"/0"/0"
    Type
    1c/2a/C/iii

Default Re: ***The Beard Thread - All Things Beards***

I'm not using beard balm yet. I'll need to look more into it. I tend to go the lazy route with my routines (I always have, even when I was growing my hair out), so I probably won't end up using more than just the beard butter and oil, but it's worth a shot to try it out at some point!

I'm not taking any vitamins/supplements for hair growth either. I've tried them in the past and didn't notice a difference for me.
    Chronically a newbie, although I've been around since 2003.

Length
    Short/Chin+/Floor

I tried something different kept a stashe and a soul patch the result is not pretty... Time to grow some of it back to cover my fat face
    🦇 No Trims 2021 🦇
    Aiming to break free of bad hair habits... It grow Bat, let it grow.
    🦇 Next Goal: Shoulder 🦇

Length
    Pixie/1"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by KajiKodomo View Post
    Hi there! My name is Dean and I'm working on growing my beard to terminal length! Currently, I wash with Dr. Bronners and condition with Live Bearded beard butter. I need to get some oil for it as well.

I use a wooden comb and wash my beard once a week, comb, and use beard butter. I'd like to add in oiling on a daily basis as my beard is pretty dry and needs the moisture!
    Its the dr. Bronners that is drying out your beard. That stuff is extremely harsh.
    Look into some actual beard and face wash or use a gentle sulfate free shampoo.
    You keep using Dr.B and eventually your beard hairs will start breaking.
    Letting the sparkles grow

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Hi there! My name is Dean and I'm working on growing my beard to terminal length! Currently, I wash with Dr. Bronners and condition with Live Bearded beard butter. I need to get some oil for it as well.

I use a wooden comb and wash my beard once a week, comb, and use beard butter. I'd like to add in oiling on a daily basis as my beard is pretty dry and needs the moisture!
    Dr Bronners is pretty drying on the hair, is a very alkaline substance. I would use regular shampoo, which is pH balanced, but that's me. And I would not sleep on conditioner. Maybe see what that does for you?
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    0"/0"/0"
    Type
    1c/2a/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
    Its the dr. Bronners that is drying out your beard. That stuff is extremely harsh.
    Look into some actual beard and face wash or use a gentle sulfate free shampoo.
    You keep using Dr.B and eventually your beard hairs will start breaking.
    Thanks for letting me know! I'll definitely start looking into alternatives!

Length
    0"/0"/0"
    Type
    1c/2a/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Dr Bronners is pretty drying on the hair, is a very alkaline substance. I would use regular shampoo, which is pH balanced, but that's me. And I would not sleep on conditioner. Maybe see what that does for you?
    Thanks for the suggestions! I'll definitely look into changing up my routine some!

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll definitely look into changing up my routine some!
    You're welcome. Glad you're open to it!

Length
    0"/0"/0"
    Type
    1c/2a/C/iii

You're welcome. Glad you're open to it!
    It just amazes me that instead of thinking back to haircare and all I've learned here over the years, I just felt resigned to having a dry beard, haha.

I put some leave-in conditioner I had laying around in my beard yesterday and it feels better. It'll feel even better on Friday when my oil arrives. I'm taking a cue from my head hair and what worked best for it and trying my old favorite, Africa's Best Ultimate Herbal Oil. I also ordered some beard wash and conditioner that should also be arriving on Friday, just in time for my Saturday wash!

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

It just amazes me that instead of thinking back to haircare and all I've learned here over the years, I just felt resigned to having a dry beard, haha.

I put some leave-in conditioner I had laying around in my beard yesterday and it feels better. It'll feel even better on Friday when my oil arrives. I'm taking a cue from my head hair and what worked best for it and trying my old favorite, Africa's Best Ultimate Herbal Oil. I also ordered some beard wash and conditioner that should also be arriving on Friday, just in time for my Saturday wash!
    No you don't have to "accept" a dry beard! I've been following the channel "beardbrand", next to "Regal gentleman" and especially the first channel does a lot of beards besides haircuts (both channels I watch because mom cuts dad's hair and we need the info to do a good job).

I've seen plenty of awesome products for beards, they are out there, but just a bit of regular conditioner even, putting that in, I mean you had a leave-in, but that will do too if you're short on product for styling!

Good luck!!!

Length
    0"/0"/0"
    Type
    1c/2a/C/iii

No you don't have to "accept" a dry beard! I've been following the channel "beardbrand", next to "Regal gentleman" and especially the first channel does a lot of beards besides haircuts (both channels I watch because mom cuts dad's hair and we need the info to do a good job).

I've seen plenty of awesome products for beards, they are out there, but just a bit of regular conditioner even, putting that in, I mean you had a leave-in, but that will do too if you're short on product for styling!

Good luck!!!
    Thanks so much!

I also just watched this video which was great at explaining the differences and uses of various beard products, for anyone that's confused like I was!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pp9UX8DtROY