Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Female Hair Loss - Rosemary Hair Rinse or have to resort to Rogaine?

Length
    35 in/39 in/43 in
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Question Female Hair Loss - Rosemary Hair Rinse or have to resort to Rogaine?

Good Morning,

Haven't visited the forum in a while and upon doing so this morning found I am unable to effectively use the search button and I am not sure why. So, hopefully this isn't a repeat topic/question but I have a few rosemary plants and am wondering about how to make my own Rosemary Hair Rinse (measurements, etc). I had heard on Youtube rinsing the hair with rosemary can result in better hair health and I am wondering if this is something that may be helpful for me as I have been diagnosed with female hair loss and recommended by dermatologist to use rogaine. I am wondering about trying a natural hair rinse for a few months before purchasing a product that I know I'll need to use for life such as Rogaine.

I appreciate any advice and hearing about your experience with using rosemary, Rogaine, or anything else helpful for femail alopecia (hair loss).

Lady Arduinna, Keeper of the North Forest in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Default Re: Female Hair Loss - Rosemary Hair Rinse or have to resort to Rogaine?

So the only reason why I found through search is because I had seen this thread before and I had an idea of what to look for. Hopefully the link I'm providing starts you where the hair loss treatment options can begin:
    https://forums.longhaircommunity.com...=1#post3374925

I've never heard about rosemary hair rinses for hairloss, so I can't advise there. I have alopecia areata which comes and goes, and since the hair tends to come back, I just deal with the temporary bald spots.

You might also find this article helpful: https://forums.longhaircommunity.com...ight=hair+loss

EDIT: I should have checked the article link first, it shows file not found! I believe this is the actual link: https://forums.longhaircommunity.com...y-Meg_Evenstar
    Lady Nemetona of the Blessed Circle in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    35 in/39 in/43 in
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Default Re: Female Hair Loss - Rosemary Hair Rinse or have to resort to Rogaine?

Quote Originally Posted by akurah View Post
    So the only reason why I found through search is because I had seen this thread before and I had an idea of what to look for. Hopefully the link I'm providing starts you where the hair loss treatment options can begin:
    https://forums.longhaircommunity.com...=1#post3374925

I've never heard about rosemary hair rinses for hairloss, so I can't advise there. I have alopecia areata which comes and goes, and since the hair tends to come back, I just deal with the temporary bald spots.

You might also find this article helpful: https://forums.longhaircommunity.com...ight=hair+loss

EDIT: I should have checked the article link first, it shows file not found! I believe this is the actual link: https://forums.longhaircommunity.com...y-Meg_Evenstar

Thank you! I will check out the links/info.

Lady Arduinna, Keeper of the North Forest in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    Buzz/APL/Waist
    Type
    2b/F/M/iii

Here's a post from reddit where the user sees regrowth with rosemary oil: https://amp.reddit.com/r/FemaleHairL...eppermint_and/

I suspect a significant part of the success is the physical massage, since it apparently increases thickness: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4740347/

Length
    Buzz/APL/Waist
    Type
    2b/F/M/iii

Also, I know this is unsolicited advice, but I saw my hair fall improve when I started using a mild shampoo with SLES. SLS was far too irritating to scalp and drying to hair, but when I tried cowashing and shampoo bars, or sulfate free shampoo, I started experiencing hair loss. SLES strikes the perfect balance for me. Just something else to consider, I've read this is very common.

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by LadyStardust View Post
    Also, I know this is unsolicited advice, but I saw my hair fall improve when I started using a mild shampoo with SLES. SLS was far too irritating to scalp and drying to hair, but when I tried cowashing and shampoo bars, or sulfate free shampoo, I started experiencing hair loss. SLES strikes the perfect balance for me. Just something else to consider, I've read this is very common.
    There's a bit of a difference between hair fall and balding though. What works for hair fall may not work for balding. I needed steroid shots to treat my alopecia for example, switching to a milder shampoo wouldn't have helped.
    Lady Nemetona of the Blessed Circle in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    APL/WL/CL

Hi there,

I suffered severe shedding due to landscaping and then to a medication which made me look into this matter deeply.

The best and most effective natural method I found is as follows:
    In a dropper bottle, use 2-3 tbsp sweet almond oil (or another "light" carrier oil, such as argan or jojoba), 1-2 tbsp castor oil, and 4-5 drops rosemary essential oil, and 4-5 drops peppermint essential oil. Peppermint & rosemary have both shown to promote hair healthy gross and stunt hair loss, and they are the only 2 essential oils to be cited as effective for this through scientific studies. Just as potent as hair loss drugs, which have side effects whereas these don't. I would recommend patch testing before use, however to be safe.
    Castor oil also promotes growth and the carrier oils mentioned are all fantastic for hair & scalp.
    Using the dropper you can distribute it to your scalp easily, and massage it in. There will be a tingling sensation. Apply evenly to your scalp and target problem areas. Leave in for 20 minutes and wash your hair as normal. If it still feels oily while wet shampoo twice, or work shampoo in your scalp effectively.

As for hair rinses, I take a big jar and stuff it with rosemary from the garden. Fill with apple cider vinegar and use it as a rinse once a week. Holistichabits on youtube has a hair rinse video which details this well. ACV makes hair shiny but is also clarifying, so you don't want to overuse it. Once a week or fortnight is heaps!

Good luck and hope this helps!
    Keep going, keep growing

Length
    APL/WL/CL

I apologise for the double post: I totally forgot to add on after sharing the recipe.

Hair fall and shedding are totally different, but this recipe is for hair loss in general. I literally lost half the thickness of my hair within a year, and this really helped me.
    You won't see results immediately, maybe after 3 months, but after 6 months it is significant enough that you notice it.
    Keep going, keep growing

Length
    Buzz/APL/Waist
    Type
    2b/F/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by akurah View Post
    There's a bit of a difference between hair fall and balding though. What works for hair fall may not work for balding. I needed steroid shots to treat my alopecia for example, switching to a milder shampoo wouldn't have helped.
    Oh, absolutely. I only mention that because I've read several cases of clogged follicles causing hair loss, as well as sulfate-free product lines like DevaCurl. Obviously hair loss is usually a genetic or otherwise internal problem, but I don't think it hurts to rule out topical causes.

Length
    35 in/39 in/43 in
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by LadyStardust View Post
    Thank you for the reply, LadyStardust. May I ask what is SLES? I am not familiar with it. I do know that SLS means sulfates so regular shampoo like Suave. I currently use a SLS free all natural shampoo and conditioner from a Canadian company called Calia. I use many of their conditioners including their Purifying Conditioners that contain Rosemary, Sage, and Cedarwood. Still, I think I need a rosemary rinse or oil of some kind as had heard a study showed hair was equally thickened from treatments of rosemary as it was from using a Rogain product.