Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scalp pain from a bun. Questions and advice.

Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Lightbulb Scalp pain from a bun. Questions and advice.

Welcome to my first thread.
    The problem concerns the pain of the scalp from the weight of the bun, where one strand strongly pulls the skin. For me it is always the same strand above my forehead, on the left side. Once I make a looser bun, it doesn't last long. Sometimes it falls apart in a minute. Sometimes I can pin my hair up for two hours. Later, I have to walk in my hair down to let my skin rest. I rarely make a bun for longer. I tried to pin the front section of my hair up, but then my skin hurt at the barrette. I even have days when, after braiding a braid, this strand tugs the skin terribly. Overall, the skin is sensitive in this one place.
    For about a month I have been washing my hair standing, with my head up. The weight of wet hair also irritates the skin. Yesterday I started to wonder if I can keep growing my hair because I think some hair roots are not doing well anymore.

I'm close to classic F/M, ii.

*My hair styling skills are poor.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: Scalp pain from a bun. Questions and advice.

What kind of buns do you do? I can't do a cinnamon bun for a day, for instance (it just coils undone). But a LWB (lazy wrap bun) and a Nautilus are fine. Maybe change up the buns that you do. Zesty has a great video on the LWB, and a double LWB (that might work better). Quick & to the point.

Zesty, could you post the link again? I seem to have "misplaced" that thread. I can't remember where it was that you posted the video, was it on the YT video thread?
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    BSL/FTL/?
    Type
    1a/F/ii

I am just asking as it is not implicitly stated in your post, do you use sticks/ forks for your bun?
    My scalp hurts if I am wearing a ponytail, but when I wear a bun secured with fork, it can last over 10 hours with no problem.

Length
    BSL/FTL/?
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    What kind of buns do you do? I can't do a cinnamon bun for a day, for instance (it just coils undone). But a LWB (lazy wrap bun) and a Nautilus are fine. Maybe change up the buns that you do. Zesty has a great video on the LWB, and a double LWB (that might work better). Quick & to the point.

Zesty, could you post the link again? I seem to have "misplaced" that thread. I can't remember where it was that you posted the video, was it on the YT video thread?

Adding Zesty's video for LWB bun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8V_...ature=youtu.be

Length
    thigh/mbl/waist
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii/iii

Scalp ache has been such an issue for me too! I'm not sure we have exactly the same problem but I'll share what type of scalp problems I've had and what has worked for me.

Underlying health issues: at the root of the problem for me (hehe pun sort of intended ) are actually health issues. I'm very prone to all sorts of headaches but recently started on a medication for nerve pain that actually helps prevent my headaches a lot. All sorts of things could/can trigger head aches for me, including hairstyles. I did/do experience scalp ache as one sort of head ache. Solution: prescription meds.

Hair length: Depending on my length of hair I've had to find hair styles that work for me at that length. MBL-WL a top knot cinnabun with spin pins worked best for me as the bun "rested" on top of my head when I was upright which took a lot of tension away from my roots. Now, at roughly butt-length low LWB with hair forks work best. Preferably realllly low buns, for some reason, and four prong forks with a head curve. I'm not sure why this seems to take pressure off the roots but as long as it works Solution: experiment with new hairstyles that put as little tension on the roots as possible. ETA: thinking about it, I think it helps that the prongs spread the tension wider than sticks do, and also I use very thin prongs (metal forks) which seems to take some tension off as well in comparison to thicker wood forks.

Stretching washes: If I go too long between washes my scalp aches a lot. It was a bit difficult to find info on this but I think I figured it out. So: our skin has a natural bacterial flora, but it starts producing "smelly" odours if we don't wash it off often so in modern society we do have very high hygiene norms and wash a lot. Well, because we're then not used to having that bacterial flora on our skin for longer times, if we stretch washes and don't wash it off, our skin CAN get irritated from all the bacteria action going on because it's not used to it, and for some this results in an achy scalp. For me it particularly aches when I move my hair around, like flip it from one side to the other, but also an all-around dull ache, especially where I have the most tension from whatever hairstyle I'm wearing. I can also experience "after shocks" for awhile after washing the grease off my scalp, so even after showering I can be achy for a few hours to a day after. Theoretically our scalp should get used to the natural bacterial flora over time if we consistently stretch washes for a longer period of time, but for me it's really not worth it as I deal with plenty head aches for other reasons as well. Solution: I stave off the scalp ache by washing with SLS every two to three days but YMMV.
    Last edited by Siv; November 4th, 2020 at 03:59 AM.
    2008: 24cm/10" 2015: 41cm/16" 2022: 120cm/48" // 2022: 52cm/21"
    instagram

Length
    cbl/ftl/knee
    Type
    2c/3a/F/iii

I think maybe after reading your initial post perhaps you are making your buns too loose in attempt to relieve pressure. But if you dont make the bun snug enough to hold solidly it can actually pull more because its falling apart unevenly. I'm talking about with hair stick buns. How are you securing the buns?

Maybe doing a style that distributes weight across many points would help. You could try a braided cinnamon bun or rose bun (rope braid cinnamon) secured as you wrap by spin pins or amish pins. This can feel weightless almost the way the work is shared by all the pins. Having good solid pins is a must.

Also I thought of this, secured with 2 claw clips. See at the end how she shows it puts no weight on her hairline?

https://youtu.be/-qQP50kNpO4

Version on shorter hair. Injust wanted to post the other since she shows how it should not tug
    https://youtu.be/ElSCHnzYtM8

You can do the same thing with 2 claw clips with a lot of different buns and it allows you to leave it looser than with a hair stick since it doesnt. Eed as much tension in the middle of the bun to hold.
    ۞
    Lady Tyet, Weaver of the Endless Strands in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Friend of the Semicolon florenonite's Avatar
    Length
    SL/MBL/Hip
    Type
    2a/F/iii

Have you tried experimenting with the positioning of buns? I often find if my bun is too low it'll tug, but if I do it at the crown of my head it's much more comfortable.

One other thing that I find is that if I don't thoroughly detangle my hair before doing a bun then it's more likely to be uneven and tug at one part of my scalp.

I also agree with the above poster that buns need to be secure or they'll actually tug more.
    Lady Nehalennia of the Mirrored-Seas in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

SL / APL / SBL / MBL / WL / HIP / BCL / TB

I haven't seen this mentioned so I'll tell you what I discovered recently.

As my bun has increased in size and weight, it's been pulling on the hairs towards the hairline.

But I realized, no matter how tightly I pull the hair, how securely I attached the bun, or anything else there's always a little bit of play. I can shift the bun up or down, and so forth. There's a little bit of looseness.

I have found that if I shift the bun upwards slightly, relieving the pressure on the hairs in the front, and then secure it with my hair stick the style still holds very well. And it eliminates the pressure, the pulling, on my front hairline.

Secretly a Bald Dude AmaryllisRed's Avatar
    Length
    MBL/CBL/cheez
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Lots of good suggestions above.
    Also, consider leaving a front section *out of* the bun and wrapping it around after.
    I actually cut bangs because the front hairline pulling was such a problem. I pin them back separately.
    Hair is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
    My not-usually-hair-related blog is at www.thecoffeelessmom.wordpress.com

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

I've found that a bun on the top of my head is the most comfortable for me, as it just sits on my head.
    Also, claw clips are more comfortable to me than sticks and forks in terms of tugging.
    Neck / SL / APL / BSL / WL+ / HL / BCL / TBL!
    Dye-free since Dec 2018.
    2021 plan: grow & trim - get rid of layers & reach hip-BCL.