Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SMT-P Snowymoon's Moisture Treatment with Protein

Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Default SMT-P Snowymoon's Moisture Treatment with Protein

I've seen references to using gelatin along with an SMT, but had to search a long time for specifics. This is the formula I used. I hope it comes in handy for other people.

SMT-P (SMT with protein)

1packet of gelatin, or 2¼ to 2 ½ teaspoon
    1/4cup of hot water
    1/2 cup of your favorite conditioner

1Tablespoon honey or corn syrup
    1Tablespoon aloe vera gel (optional)
    1Tablespoon oil (jojoba, coconut, olive or other)

Mix the water and gelatin well, then add the rest.

Wash and rinse hair and blot dry. Add treatment, thoroughly distributing throughout hair. Wrap hair in bun if long. Put on shower cap or wrap in plastic wrap. A warm cap or towel will hold in heat, and help treatment to work faster. Alternatively, add heat with a hairdryer over the plastic. I used a cap and kept it in for 30minutes, then rinsed thoroughly. Next time I'll leave it on my hair for an hour.

Notes:
    I wrap wet hair in towel, then prepare treatment and apply.
    This is plenty for my waist length, moderately thick hair with a blunt hemline.
    There are several gelatin treatments for protein only online. I haven't tried any, but trust what science-y hair blog has to say.

Mistaken link deleted Nov 11, 2020
    Last edited by Liz_H; November 12th, 2020 at 07:00 AM. Reason: more info, typos

Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Default Re: SMT-P Snowymoon's Moisture Treatment with Protein

My hair has improved greatly using this treatment twice. One or two more should do it for me. My hair was badly in need of protein when I started.

If you have questions about protein for hair, this article is a great starting place.
    https://science-yhairblog.blogspot.c...ation.html?m=1

Length
    APL/Hip/FTL

I have a small amount of protein in the conditioner I use and have damaged enough hair that I feel like it could benefit from protein, but I am nervous about how it would interact with the henna as I don’t want protein overload. Do you henna? Or have experience with how henna and protein interact?

Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

I have 2 henna applications on my hair, though they're at least 12 months old, and weren't full strength. My conditioner has a fairly high protein content. It probably needed protein as long ago as January. Then I used Sun In to take some of the brown out of the length. It was a good while before I even remembered protein. Back in the day when I went to a good barber, I was told my hair needed protein, and I used it regularly. Then I had short hair for years and forgot about protein. The article I linked to has a good discussion about how to tell if your hair needs protein. In my case, it looked dry even though I used plenty of moisturizing ingredients. It also tangled easily, and I had to very gently separate the tangles to loosen them without breakage. The last two are still true, just not nearly as bad.

I apologize for not answering sooner. For some reason, my forum access has been hit or miss, with my system denying access to some threads.

PS. The link you want is to science-y hair blog. It's an excellent resource.
    Last edited by Liz_H; November 12th, 2020 at 06:54 AM.

Length
    APL/Hip/FTL

Thanks for the links! I really appreciate how science-y hair blog breaks hair care down into usable information for informed decision making. I probably could use some protein. I hesitate though because I have a leave in that is high protein and I’m probably hyper sensitive to how it makes my ends feel... they feel almost stiff and a little crunchy when I use it so I limit to only about once a month. But I have old damage from washing/blow drying on high heat daily and brushing while wet and bleach and dye and all that bad stuff. Maybe in a few weeks I may try the SMT-P or some type of protein because it makes sense that my hair would benefit from it. Thanks for your recipe!

Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Here is my hair after 2 treatments. It feels so much better, though still a little bit fragile. It also doesn't drink oil the way it used to. It still likes oil, but in tiny amounts. As you can see from the back, there is still some damage.

Length
    SL/MBL/HL
    Type
    2c/F/ii

If I substitute the gelatine for collagen powder, should I change that measurement?
    Also, as I do not have a microwave, is there a another way to prevent honey from releasing hydrogen peroxide and potentially lightening my hair? Corn syrup is not a thing here.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I think heating up honey over a stove would be the same.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Southwest/New England/Deep South/Appalachia
    Length
    42/42/42
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

I don't have a microwave, either, so when I've made SMTs I've mixed them up on the stove in a saucepan. The honey has certainly never had any noticeable lightening effect on me--but I also have a pretty dark natural color and approximately five zillion layers of henna on top of that.

Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Outmoded View Post
    If I substitute the gelatine for collagen powder, should I change that measurement?
    Also, as I do not have a microwave, is there a another way to prevent honey from releasing hydrogen peroxide and potentially lightening my hair? Corn syrup is not a thing here.
    l've no idea about the collagen. I would think it's a similar structure to gelatin plus a bit more something or other. The size of the protein molecule makes a difference. Gelatin works well on my straight fine hair, but it probably doesn't work as well with thicker hair strands. If I remember correctly, other proteins have smaller molecules that work better on coarser hair. Perhaps true for curly hair as well.

Please let us know if you try the collagen!