Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: November 2020: Center Held Braided Bun (aka Pinless Braided Bun)

Length
    cbl/ftl/knee
    Type
    2c/3a/F/iii

Default Re: November 2020: Center Held Braided Bun (aka Pinless Braided Bun)

Wow, eresh, gorgeous. 3 wraps around? So much hair! I especially love the blue spiral, looks good with your hair color!
    ۞
    Lady Tyet, Weaver of the Endless Strands in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    8 in./40 in/50 in
    Type
    1a/F/M/i

Wow, Eresh, those are stunning buns. Lovely to look at and enviable for many of us!
    Oldest LHC Member Currently holding the title: The Eldest
    Radical Believer in the Kingdom of God being here at hand.

Length
    bob/calf/ankle
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Thanks!
    2 visible wraps around and the last wrap is slided underneath (the thin ends).
    That's what keeps it secure without pins
    When I had blunt thicker ends I did need an amish pin too keep them under

*Pictures*
    *Rosettebun tutorial*
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be
    judged by the way its animals are treated." - Mahatma Gandhi

Length
    BSL/MBL/Class
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

I’ve had quite a substantial trim last week so I had to cheat with one Amish pin to stabilise. I think I’ll like this when it is longer

Length
    0.25/50/Term
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Very beautiful everyone!

I will crawl out from your screen

Lady Raven, Guardian of the Enchanted Forests of Nevermore. In The Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    chin/hip/cl
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Ok, everyone, I have a question when I make this bun the "traditional" way, pinning my stick/fork first and wrapping second, it all slips away if I'm actively doing things and moving around.

If I coil the braid first and pin second, it holds like a champ. Is that technically correct for this bun? Or do I just need more length to get it to hold when pinning first? It's so pretty done properly, and is definitely a slightly different look than the way I usually do it. I ...may have a tiny bit of bun-technique insecurity!
    artist, lover, general mystic; maker of many things
    current length: hip / current goal: bcl

Length
    cbl/ftl/knee
    Type
    2c/3a/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by baanoo View Post
    Ok, everyone, I have a question – when I make this bun the "traditional" way, pinning my stick/fork first and wrapping second, it all slips away if I'm actively doing things and moving around.

If I coil the braid first and pin second, it holds like a champ. Is that technically correct for this bun? Or do I just need more length to get it to hold when pinning first? It's so pretty done properly, and is definitely a slightly different look than the way I usually do it. I ...may have a tiny bit of bun-technique insecurity!
    I think if you are wrapping afterwards you need to try to wrap it pretty tightly. Thats what I've found, anyway. I really would actually like to try it the way you described now.
    ۞
    Lady Tyet, Weaver of the Endless Strands in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    APL/35/48
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii/iii

This is easily becoming one of my favorite buns.

Length
    bob/calf/ankle
    Type
    1b/M/ii

It's my fav bun too Finda
    So comfy!

*Pictures*
    *Rosettebun tutorial*
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be
    judged by the way its animals are treated." - Mahatma Gandhi

Length
    APL/FTL+/FTL?
    Type
    2a/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by baanoo View Post
    Ok, everyone, I have a question – when I make this bun the "traditional" way, pinning my stick/fork first and wrapping second, it all slips away if I'm actively doing things and moving around.

I'm not sure I'm understanding the difference. Is your "pin after" version grabbing parts of the coils in addition to the center? If not, I see no difference whatsoever in the end result.

Either way, like cat11 mentioned, I also find that the wraps need to be fairly tight. Or at least, tight in the "right" spots, which seem to usually be behind the stick and at the end, so there's enough friction to hold it all together. Keeping the braid flat seems to matter, too; if it stands itself up, even if it's wrapped tightly, it doesn't hold as well. But the bonus is that even if it falls out, the stick doesn't, and it's a piece of cake to quickly re-wrap it again.

Darn hair dressers and their misplaced bra straps... Looks like it'll be longer between hair cuts this time, with an extra 6 inches to regrow!
    <APL ~APL~BSL~MBL~WL~HL~TBL~Classic~ FTL ~ Knee???