Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Switching from Henndigo to demi permanent dye?

Length
    CBL/BSL/Waist

Default Switching from Henndigo to demi permanent dye?

Has anyone done this? Is it safe or a recipe for disaster?

Back story is, I have used henndigo for about 18 months with no problem until I started noticing breakage (I was not wrapping my hair and the mud was drying out and causing breakage on the length) so I did it again and wrapped it and RED tones, and its not going away and as it fades it gets more red. It really doesn't suit me.

I'm tossing up between just letting it grow out and maybe using some adore or something similar to try and tone the red down or putting a demi-permanent over it and just doing the roots as they grow through. (do semi's like adore give build up over time?)

I have some grey hair too (maybe 20%) so I can't decide whether to let it grow in and rock it or use a demi and cover it up for a few more years.

I've heard horror stories about hair turning green or swamp grey from dying over henndigo but is that only when you try to lighten it? The colour I'd use would be the same depth my hair is now and very low level peroxide so 'deposit only' no lift at all, and professional demi colour not box dye.

My hair is almost at my goal length of waist (well first goal, watch me extend that when I get there lol) so I'm terrified to do anything that would require a massive chop.

Any advise or opinions you ladies can give me would be very much appreciated.

Length
    shldr/waist/???
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Default Re: Switching from Henndigo to demi permanent dye?

If there is any peroxide, it will turn your hair green. You want deposit only, and if there is any peroxide in it, it's not deposit only.

Look at brands like Elumen, Adore, or others that explicitly describe themselves as semi-permanent, and look at the ingredients to be safe.

Elumen is a deviation from semi-permanent though--it's one of the most permanent deposit-only dyes I've ever used. I think I still have purple in my hair despite all my efforts to get it out.
    Lady Nemetona of the Blessed Circle in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    The orange cat in my avatar

Length
    CBL/BSL/Waist

Quote Originally Posted by akurah View Post
    If there is any peroxide, it will turn your hair green. You want deposit only, and if there is any peroxide in it, it's not deposit only.

Look at brands like Elumen, Adore, or others that explicitly describe themselves as semi-permanent, and look at the ingredients to be safe.

Elumen is a deviation from semi-permanent though--it's one of the most permanent deposit-only dyes I've ever used. I think I still have purple in my hair despite all my efforts to get it out.
    thank you, I'll have to check out elumen, sounds perfect for me

Type
    3b/3c/F/iii

Funny, my mom switched to conventional dye and her hair's fine. I think the dye has peroxide. No green drama.
    Cut off tailbone hair to bob <3
    ...and then buzzed my hair off.
    I work here: mobilny dietetyk gliwice

Length
    CBL/BSL/Waist

Quote Originally Posted by 01 View Post
    Funny, my mom switched to conventional dye and her hair's fine. I think the dye has peroxide. No green drama.
    Thanks for your input, its very encouraging. I thought the green only happened when you try and lighten the indgo by using either bleach powder mixed with peroxide or by using a high level of peroxide (like 30 or 40 volume) with a dye lighter than your current colour.

I wanted to use a very low peroxide level (9 volume) with a colour the same level as my current colour. Maybe I should do a strand test and see if it will work? The elumun brand seems to be hard for me to get hold of and I'd need to get it from overseas which is proving to be expensive. Where as I can get salon brand colour and peroxide a couple of blocks from my house.

I'm not planning on doing anything until around christmas time but I'll let you know if my strand test turns green or not.

Length
    shldr/waist/???
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by LillyBlossom View Post
    Thanks for your input, its very encouraging. I thought the green only happened when you try and lighten the indgo by using either bleach powder mixed with peroxide or by using a high level of peroxide (like 30 or 40 volume) with a dye lighter than your current colour.

I wanted to use a very low peroxide level (9 volume) with a colour the same level as my current colour. Maybe I should do a strand test and see if it will work? The elumun brand seems to be hard for me to get hold of and I'd need to get it from overseas which is proving to be expensive. Where as I can get salon brand colour and peroxide a couple of blocks from my house.

I'm not planning on doing anything until around christmas time but I'll let you know if my strand test turns green or not.
    This is a case of 01's mom getting extraordinarily lucky. Just like how you'll see people who say "I successfully removed my henna!" It's possible but it's so rare that it should be treated as impossible because the bad results typically require a haircut.

If you go this route, I would not only strand test, I would strand test multiple times on large batches of collected hair before putting anything on your head.
    Lady Nemetona of the Blessed Circle in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    The orange cat in my avatar

Length
    CBL/BSL/Waist

This is a case of 01's mom getting extraordinarily lucky. Just like how you'll see people who say "I successfully removed my henna!" It's possible but it's so rare that it should be treated as impossible because the bad results typically require a haircut.

If you go this route, I would not only strand test, I would strand test multiple times on large batches of collected hair before putting anything on your head.
    Good idea, just because one section of my hair doesn't turn green, doesn't mean another section won't.

Leaving it alone and rocking the natural grey is becoming very appealing lol.

Type
    3b/3c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by LillyBlossom View Post

Yes, my mom uses black dye. And before she used 2 step henna and indigo, also black. Good luck.

Type
    3b/3c/F/iii

Yeah, interesting, I thought she'd go green, hahah.

Length
    CBL/BSL/Waist

So I was feeling extra self destrcutive and stupid this morning. Three strand tests later and I'm sitting here with dye on my head.

I'll let you all know how it goes. I'm stressen but the strand tests turned out ok so here's hoping I'm not a green monster!