Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best natural shampoos/conditioners?

Question Best natural shampoos/conditioners?

Im trying to maintain a hair care routine that is free of all things bad (silicones, sulfates, parabens etc.) and I usually tend to find that it is natural hair care products that are my best bet. However, a lot of natural shampoos contain sulfates to make up for the lack of foam which just dries out my scalp and makes me itch. So, I thought I would come here and ask for everyones advice... What are the best companies/brands that sell natural shampoos/conditioners? I'm in the UK and aiming to not spend more then £10 per shamoo and conditioner each.

Excited to see what everyone says!

Length
    16/38/TBL
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Default Re: Best natural shampoos/conditioners?

There are a lot of great lines that fit your needs, I am also silicone and sulfate free at the moment and my scalp has been really happy! The ones that I have tried and really like are:
    Living Proof Restore
    Garnier Fructis Hair Foods
    Shea Moisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil
    Carina Organics Sweet Pea
    Living Proof is a little more expensive but the others are just as good and at or below what you want to spend. Hopefully others will chime in with more options.
    CBL/APL/BSL​/MBL/Waist/Hip/TBL

I'm glad to see it working for someone else too, I will never go back to using silicones or sulfates. I'll take a look at your suggestions, I have been using the Garnier Fructic hair food masks religiously and absolutely love them!

Length
    bsl/class/?
    Type
    1c/2a/C/ii/iii

I use Dr Organics which can be bought in Holland and Barrett the argan oil line are my favourites.

Length
    16/38/TBL
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Mellifluous View Post
    I'm glad to see it working for someone else too, I will never go back to using silicones or sulfates. I'll take a look at your suggestions, I have been using the Garnier Fructic hair food masks religiously and absolutely love them!
    Yeah, unless something drastically changes with my hair or scalp I don't plan to go back either. I do occasionally use a clarifying shampoo if I feel like I have build up but other than that, I try to keep my skin and hair care routine as natural as possible!
    CBL/APL/BSL​/MBL/Waist/Hip/TBL

Length
    13/45/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I'm not sure about the availability in the UK, or what they're priced over there if you can find them, but I really like Everyone brand. The conditioner is the only kind I've tried so far that gives me decent slip.

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Ooh another vote for Dr Organic here! The line of clear shampoos but especially the Tea Tree for me (my scalp hates or barely tolerates anything else I've ever tried).
    Edit 2: they fairly regularly are on offer at buy one get one half price, or even sometimes buy one get one for a penny. Worth waiting to not pay full price.

Cone-free conditioners are much easier to find than sulphate-free shampoo and cheaper options too - Garnier Hair Food masks are cone-free, some of the Ultimate Blends conditioners are, Love Beauty and Planet, Faith in Nature, even Alberto Balsam (new formula).

Sainsburys: Coconut, Apple
    Waitrose Pure conditioner (NOT essential Waitrose)
    Inecto
    Suma
    Faith in Nature
    Liz Earle
    Mother Nature's Goodies
    Classikool
    Pure Nuff Stuff
    Organic Shop (organic-shop.de but stocked in Tesco apparently)
    Naturallythinking.com
    Rawliving.eu
    Thesoapkitchen.co.uk
    A'kin
    Noughty
    Kind Natured
    Shea Moisture
    The Body Shop
    Urtekram
    Dr Organic
    Love Beauty and Planet
    Avalon Organics
    Neal's Yard
    Korres
    Sukin
    Cantu
    Shea Moisture
    Maui Moisture

I can't actually vouch for many of those yet, as the conditioners I've used in the past have been discontinued, and I've still to try some in my stash. The Garnier ones are a good starting point I think, but always, always check the ingredients (ask me how I know )

Edit to add: there are no ingredients found in mainstream shampoo or conditioner that are inherently 'bad' for hair. It is good to make informed decisions and ultimately your scalp and hair will decide for you - as you seem to have found with sulphates. Ultimately everything is a chemical, and whether it is naturally-derived or synthetically-derived makes no difference to the molecular structure. There may be environmental or ethical concerns, which is up to each individual to decide what they are comfortable with, but many ingredients are demonised beyond scientific evidence. Here we tend to say Your Mileage May Vary (YMMV) and You Do You - which means making your own informed decisions and listening to what your hair and scalp tell you
    Last edited by MusicalSpoons; September 21st, 2020 at 07:13 PM.
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Growing in the Silvers hennalonghair's Avatar
    Length
    APL/TBL/CL
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

This is my favourite all natural shampoo in bar form and it’s everything I want in a shampoo and then some. It suds up so well and leaves my hair extra soft, curly and fluffy which is exactly how I love it. My hair becomes very clean and manageable.

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/7122...f=yr_purchases

This is the matching conditioner and was the biggest surprise. I’d never used a bar conditioner before and didn’t think this would work with my hair but a little goes a long way. It conditions so well and doesn’t weigh my hair down at all but the biggest surprise with using both of these was how well my scalp felt.

I did however add 3 drops of peppermint essential oil in my shampoo suds and left it on for a few minutes. It mixed so well.

The smell is delicious. A refreshing pink grapefruit. Clean, soothing and fresh.

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/7122...?ref=related-2

The ginger shampoo and conditioner from the body shop is also nice. It has SLS in it but it’s made from plant sources and is actually very gentle. This shampoo is specifically made for problem scalps and it truly delivers. The ginger scent is wonderful.

https://www.thebodyshop.com/en-ca/ha...mpoo/p/p002450

https://www.thebodyshop.com/en-ca/ha...oner/p/p002797

My next favourite all natural shampoo and conditioner is by Mill Creeks and is called Biotin H. It really helps with hair loss and hair growth. This is shampoo and conditioner with a special scalp serum but you can purchase them individually too.

https://www.google.ca/shopping/produ...:1,prmr:1,cs:1

Then there’s one made exclusively for waves and ringlets called Exotic Marula Oil by ANDALOU. It’s quite nice for curly girls but I still prefer the top shampoo bar the most. It makes my hair super soft and fluffy.

Length
    ChinL/WL/TERM
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

My favorite natural shampoo is plain old Johnson's Baby Shampoo. I don't think they have any sulfates in it.

Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Dark40 View Post
    My favorite natural shampoo is plain old Johnson's Baby Shampoo. I don't think they have any sulfates in it.
    This is SO far from "natural" and in my experience, really really harsh. It takes off cradle cap.