Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Want to end it with henna but grey hairs!

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Default Re: Want to end it with henna but grey hairs!

I've never done hendigo to get a brown colour, so other members can help with the colour, I wanted black, which was what I got.

There are some things I remember that might be helpful:
    I was doing 1-step hendigo (mixing henna and indigo together and applying it in one step), and the indigo always faded back to a henna tone. It would have become permanent after a few applications, but I didn't want that. I've also heard that 2-step (doing henna first and then indigo afterwards) is more permanent, but I'm not sure you'd have much control over the colour then... same with multiple applications of 1-step hendigo, you'd probably end up with black hair. Hopefully other people can help with how it works for getting a consistent brown colour.

Indigo stinks. badly. way worse smell than henna (which I like the smell of, but many don't). Not trying to change your mind, I just thought you should know before doing it. As with henna, indigo will smell a lot while you apply it, and then you'll still smell it in your hair for a few days.

You do really need to think about the commitment with indigo.
    Good luck whichever way you decide!
    Neck / SL / APL / BSL / WL+ / HL / BCL / TBL!
    Dye-free since Dec 2018.
    2021 plan: grow & trim - get rid of layers & reach hip-BCL.

Type
    1b/F/i

Hey! Thanks for your reply

I was wondering what the deal is with the pre mixed stuff. Light Mountain, for example. I see they do various shades premixed and their dark brown one gets good reviews.

I definitely don't want black hair. And I don't have too much issue with henna showing through. It's just my grey roots/orange head thing that I really want to avoid from now on.

The smell doesn't bother me too much either! I just really want to avoid grey roots, and chemical dyes. If I had to go back to chemical then so be it. But I think that'd be just as much upkeep as the problem with semi and demi dyes is they just fade and so my greys would be visible after a short while anyway!

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by girlinabox View Post

I was wondering what the deal is with the pre mixed stuff. Light Mountain, for example. I see they do various shades premixed and their dark brown one gets good reviews.

I definitely don't want black hair. And I don't have too much issue with henna showing through. It's just my grey roots/orange head thing that I really want to avoid from now on.

The smell doesn't bother me too much either! I just really want to avoid grey roots, and chemical dyes. If I had to go back to chemical then so be it. But I think that'd be just as much upkeep as the problem with semi and demi dyes is they just fade and so my greys would be visible after a short while anyway!
    Sorry, I have no experience with any pre-mixed stuff. I just mixed 50% henna and 50% indigo (if I remember correctly) myself, to get a black colour. Presumably, you'd have to mix more henna and less indigo for brown.

I understand not wanting grey roots or chemical dyes, in which case indeed your options would be semi-permanent (which are also chemical dyes) or hendigo. Just make sure you figure out exactly how to get a brown colour consistently. I just wouldn't want you to end up with a very permanent black hair by mistake, since you don't want that.

So I'd recommend a lot of strand tests before dyeing your hair
    Last edited by Amenahh; September 30th, 2020 at 06:21 AM.
    Neck / SL / APL / BSL / WL+ / HL / BCL / TBL!
    Dye-free since Dec 2018.
    2021 plan: grow & trim - get rid of layers & reach hip-BCL.

Length
    APL/Hip/FTL

My sister uses Light Mountain for a medium brown and she loves it. It covers her gray great. But definitely strand test!

Growing in the Silvers hennalonghair's Avatar
    Length
    APL/TBL/CL
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

I’ve heard this stuff covers greys well. They’ve got a good reputation

Length
    19 in/19in/25
    Type
    3a/3b/M/C/ii/iii

Hi everyone!

Thank you so much for your replies, sorry it's taken me a few days to check back on here.

I guess I was thinking a lot about how inconvenient it would be to do the whole henna process when travelling in a van, but the more I think about it, with Covid etc, we may not even get to do what we had planned. As I mentioned, I really don't like the orange scalp look, given the rest of my hair is so dark, so now I am considering the henna/indigo thing a bit more. I guess I just need to decide if I am ready for that level of commitment! One thing I was wondering, if I did decide to go down the route to get a nice deep rich brown, surely the whole roots thing wouldn't be such an ordeal? I mean - I only ever really left henna on for like 4+ hours to try and get a deep red (which never happened as my grey hairs just went bright orange each time). Is the hendigo (is that what it's called?) a shorter process? I wouldn't mind just doing roots only (after I've got the all over shade I want) if I don't have to sit with it on forever

As much as I have loved the red tones, I just don't like the grey/orange look around my hairline so I think back to a rich deep brown would be ideal. Thoughts?! In the UK we are not blessed with such an amazing range of (chemical) demi or semi permanent hair dyes, I always heard great things about Clairol's Natural Instincts but the shade range here is very, very limited.

Thanks again everyone.
    Another vote for Light Mountain mixtures here! I had a close friend who used the medium brown & dark brown versions & it worked very well. I myself have used their Red & Bright Red colors for over 20 years. Also, Logona makes good plant powder dyes in brown shades, and Rainbow brand does as well. I think also NightBlooming makes a brown too?

Type
    1b/F/i

Thanks for your replies again. I had a look at the hendigo pre made packs and most of them say to do it two step which I really don't want to do! I'm trying to make life easier not harder haha. What I was wondering though, is those hennas that talk about being more burgundy rather than stark orange? I just bought a pack from The Henna Guys but after mixing and sitting for over 24 hours there was no dye release... I tested on some shedded hair anyway and sure enough, over 24 hours later no colour deposited?! So I won't be trying that brand again. So I guess my next question is whether anyone can recommend henna that will be darker red or burgundy or how to achieve that so I can avoid the stark orange head? I'm in the UK so we don't have as many great sources as other places sadly