Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Neem oil for hair growth?

Length
    ?/WL/FTL
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Default Re: Neem oil for hair growth?

Quote Originally Posted by hennalonghair View Post
    I think the only way neem oil helps hair growth is that it kills bacteria and fungus which is a huge problem for many. I personally would rather use essential oils for this like peppermint , tea tree oil , lavender and / or rosemary mixed with an anti fungal carrier oil like fractionated coconut oil because neem oil STINKS BAD. It smells like a mixture of old smelly socks and rotting peanuts. Even if it did work well, I’m not wanting hair growth badly enough to use it. Lol
    I was just going to ask what it smelt like lol. I use castor and avocado oil mixed together with a few drops of rosemary EO and that smells bad enough.. I don’t think I’ll be trying neem if it’s that bad!

Growing in the Silvers hennalonghair's Avatar
    Length
    APL/TBL/CL
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Feral_ View Post
    I was just going to ask what it smelt like lol. I use castor and avocado oil mixed together with a few drops of rosemary EO and that smells bad enough.. I don’t think I’ll be trying neem if it’s that bad!
    You’re a smart women.

Length
    21/21/32
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Silica View Post
    My sister uses neem oil on her dog's coat FWIW. He's a Newfoundland so has long, super thick hair and it is so healthy and shiny and strong. I wish my hair looked that good! Maybe I will give it try someday
    Maybe there's some merit to it then hey when I was researching it, I read that people used it to get rid of fleas on their dogs (but not cats! Apparently you can't put neem oil on them) and as a natural pesticide, and when I read that I was like?? People put this on their HAIR?? When you use it to kill BUGS?? But obviously it wasn't enough of a deterrent because I went out and bought some anyways haha, I'll definitely be posting any results I get from it, if I get any!

Length
    twa/twa/waist
    Type
    4a/4b/F/ii/iii

Ah, neem oil : my sworn enemy. The first time in my life I had a severe allergic reaction (the swelling was unreal; I woke up with a face on my face after the second consecutive night using this) was when I used this as an overnight hair oiling treatment. I didn't quite put two and two together after the first time I used it, although I felt strange and had the strangest feeling in my throat and itchy skin on my face. I was told by my doctor to never use it again unless I wanted to start pushing up daisies prematurely. I have no allergies to anything else as far as I am aware, so this took me by surprise. Please do a patch test if you are unsure and considering giving neem oil a try.
    Last edited by Lanalavallama; October 13th, 2020 at 03:28 PM.
    Shave (23.01.2021) Neck Length (23.03.2022)

Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

It's interesting how different people smell the same smell. For me, neem oil smelled of damp, damp earth and beets lying in the cellar . He didn't bother me. It was weird, but I prefer it to strong, sweet, floral scents. Unfortunately, the oil itself caused dry scalp. Mixing with others didn't help. I gave it to my friend.

Length
    Pixie/MBL/Hip
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

I am very, very well acquainted with neem as I use it on my horses. It does wonders for itchy manes and tails, and I think it does promote growth. I'm really not sure a human could wear it successfully lol, the smell stays with you for a LONG time. It isn't bad as such, but strong.

Length
    MBL/WL+/TBL+
    Type
    3b/M/C/iii

It stinks like rotten leek/onions/garlic. I've tried it maybe once. I don't have dandruff or a greasy scalp so I don't use it at the moment. From my limited Ayurvedic understanding, Neem oil is best to pacify the Pitta dosha, while my skin/scalp tends to be more Vata unbalanced, so I prefer sesame oil.

I used it and had a great experience. My hair growth is 2x faster than the normal one. Some of the benefits of neem oil that I want to share with you:
    - It treats dandruff and hair fall.
    - It reduces scalp itchiness.
    - Enhances hair growth.
    - Treats all scalp related problems as well as baldness and keeps scalp healthy.
    Hope it helps you...!!

Length
    chin/shld/waist
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

I use neem oil in combination with other oils (coconut/olive/almond/castor) and also add a few drops of an essential oil (rosemary/tea tree/lavender). The essential oil will cancel the smell of the neem oil, or will reduce it significantly. I use it to treat scalp irritation and it works wonders. As for growth, I don't know if it does anything, but since it makes the scalp healthier, it probably has some effect on growth as well.

Obsessive Oilaholic ChloeDharma's Avatar
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I've tried to get on with neem oil many times over the years but that smell just makes me gag! I've tried diluting it with other carrier oils at 10% plus adding essential oils to mask the smell and still the neem stench comes through.
    I will say that any time I used it my hair would be very silky and shiny but the smell is just too much for me.
    I have found a nice alternative though in terms of it's scalp health benefits. I use neem leaf infusion which I read actually works better as an antifungal than the oil and best of all it doesn't really smell of anything. Of course it lacks the conditioning benefits of the oil but I'm fine with that.

If you can cope with the neem oil odour then of course try it out, it's s great oil and I wish I could cope with it.