Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do you know when it's time for a haircut? (From your point of view)

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Default Re: How do you know when it's time for a haircut? (From your point of view)

For me, it's when my hair starts to annoy me. Me and my hair are buddies at waist length, but around knee length I can't stand it.
    Lady Nemetona of the Blessed Circle in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    BSL/floor/floor
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/iii

Default Re: How do you know when it's time for a haircut? (From your point of view)

I wear my hair half-up a lot so I'm very mindful of the way my ends look in that style and when they start to look ratty. Condition is more important to me than length, so I no longer hesitate to nix a few inches where I need to. I have length to spare right now so I just cut at it whenever I feel like, and it's pretty satisfying!

· Into The Deep Sea · mermaid lullaby's Avatar
    Length
    20/32/33.5
    Type
    1c/C/iii

I wrap a fabric tape measure around my waist and if it goes beyond that

Length
    0.5"/27"/???
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

When the ends feel super straggly/velcro-y/tangly, then I wait a little while, and if they still feel bad chop chop! Usually every 8-10 months so far. Means I often drop out of one of the 6 month challenges each year, maybe I can change that next year
    Last trim 20th Jun 2023.
    Buzz-SL[17"]-APL[20"]- BSL[25"]-WL[28"]-HL[31"]-TBL[34"]-CL[38"]
    Buzz 2018- 35"/TBL 2023

Onward and Upward GoddesJourney's Avatar
    Length
    BSL/TBL!/CL
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii/iii

I can feel it physically at the ends of my hair. I get the velcro ends that are straw like and don't recover if I shampoo and oil them. It causes my hair to tangle (and it usually doesn't). A small trim fixes this. I cut off whatever feels the most damaged and looks the thinnest overall. Usually no more than an inch. All of the hair that I currently have has been pretty well taken care of. Anything that had been mistreated by bad shampoos was chopped off after pregnancy and shedding. So I would say once a year, usually around my birthday or the new year (opposite sides of the calendar circle) or both if I feel like it.

For cool tips on life, check out my blog, How to Be Awesome, For Free, a survival guide for surviving in style.

Length
    APL/BSL +/WL

After reading all these I've realised i need a trim but have the hairdresser fear again haha

Type
    1b/F/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by MusicalSpoons View Post
    When the ends are tangly or rough and neither clarifying nor consistent moisturising will help.
    When I'm constantly annoyed by how thin the ends are.
    When it's the transition period between no-trim challenges (for now, this is usually the main reason! If either of the above two apply then I will definitely cut between challenges. Otherwise I try to anticipate whether either of the two are likely to apply during the first half of the challenge, and also whether I really want the ends to be fresh for the start of another year of growing, or whether I'm simply not bothered.)
    Exactly the same here

Oh, about that tip when your ends dry faster than the rest of your hair...it is time to trim
    I dunno about that, my ends have always dried faster than the rest of my hair, also after a fresh trim
    Last edited by eresh; September 16th, 2020 at 03:05 PM. Reason: ETA

*Pictures*
    *Rosettebun tutorial*
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be
    judged by the way its animals are treated." - Mahatma Gandhi

Length
    CBL/TBL/-
    Type
    1c/M/ii

If I'm suddenly unhappy with my hair it's usually time to trim. I might not really register that the ends are too thin and uneven until after the trim (when I can see the difference), but I can tell emotionally when it's time.
    Caution: LHC-itis may become terminal.
    https://zestylonghair.wordpress.com

Length
    APL/BSL +/WL

Quote Originally Posted by Zesty View Post
    If I'm suddenly unhappy with my hair it's usually time to trim. I might not really register that the ends are too thin and uneven until after the trim (when I can see the difference), but I can tell emotionally when it's time.
    I can sooo relate to this! And a lot of other answers on here definitely. But yep emotionally for sure can tell!

Length
    Buzz/Pixie/Happy
    Type
    1b/F/ii

When the ends are crunchy, covered in splits, and/or look scraggly. I usually try S&D and changing up my products first.

I know it's for sure time to cut or trim when I'm chronically dissatisfied with it, just like what Zesty said, I can tell emotionally.

The most recent example was my major trim in July which got rid of the rest of my layers from growing out my buzz cut. It set me back several inches from bottom-of-neck length back to chin, but it was worth it.
    It just looked so bad down, to me, I was only happy with it up but I want to like it both ways, especially because my hair is still short and it might not ever be this short again! I want to enjoy what I have while I have it.
    I feel that my wavy hair with layers makes the ends look like they're fried even if they're perfectly healthy, because my hair is frizz and flyaway prone. Blunt cuts all the way for me.
    Just trying to get by