Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: In case $ is burning a hole in your pocket...

Length
    13/37/32
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Default Re: In case $ is burning a hole in your pocket...

Ooh nice. Although isn't it a lot of trouble to braid the hair first, bind it then put it up? I think my great grandma used silver hairsticks like that. I've never met her of course but my grandma described how she put up her long hair. They used hair oil and gel made from hibiscus bark back then to hold the hairstyles. I think those increase the grip a lot. My hair is pretty much like grandma's and it's way too slippery to use metal sticks. I'm glad we have wooden hair forks and Ficcares nowadays so I can put my hair up in 30 seconds.

Length
    short/hip/term
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by ynne View Post
    I think their main website is a korean one, so maybe they keep the english descriptions brief. Personally I don't mind, since they wrote the dimensions on a photo with helpful arrows to indicate what size it's describing. But as for 10 inches – it's part of a traditional hairstyle, a different aesthetic than you are going for but lets not be so quick to jump to conclusions. It is absolutely meant to stay in hair from what I can tell.

I think it deserves a little more respect. We wouldn't have a lot of pretty hairtoys nowadays if it weren't for cultures that wore and decorated them like so first.

Looking at traditional Korean hairstyles, I found that binyeo was actually used to hold the hair in place first, be pretty second! For example in a bun like this, which was for married women:

I didn't find a source unfortunately, but here's a tutorial. c:

I don't know how the other pin was used, though, probably on top of it like you suggested!
    ynne, thank you for sharing these pics and your analysis. This is fascinating!

Lady Neoma, Defender of Creatures Great and Small

Type
    3a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by sapphire-o View Post
    Ooh nice. Although isn't it a lot of trouble to braid the hair first, bind it then put it up? I think my great grandma used silver hairsticks like that. I've never met her of course but my grandma described how she put up her long hair. They used hair oil and gel made from hibiscus bark back then to hold the hairstyles. I think those increase the grip a lot. My hair is pretty much like grandma's and it's way too slippery to use metal sticks. I'm glad we have wooden hair forks and Ficcares nowadays so I can put my hair up in 30 seconds. :D
    I'm guessing the binding would increase the durability, but maybe it had an aesthetic reason too? c: It creates quite an interesting look as the central "piece". It's nice you at least got to hear about your great grandma's hairstyle and styling methods! I never heard of extracting a gel-like substance from a hibiscus, that's really interesting. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Neoma View Post
    ynne, thank you for sharing these pics and your analysis. This is fascinating!
    Of course! If it's interesting to you, after I posted it, I found a comprehensive list (as far as I can tell) of Korean styles and accessories that are accompanied with photos taken from various dramas (TV shows) and a little bit of information about them. c:

Length
    short/hip/term
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

Of course! If it's interesting to you, after I posted it, I found a comprehensive list (as far as I can tell) of Korean styles and accessories that are accompanied with photos taken from various dramas (TV shows) and a little bit of information about them. c:
    I perused the link and looked at the photos. That was very interesting.

Growing in the Silvers hennalonghair's Avatar
    Length
    APL/TBL/CL
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

Henna I'm sure they're meant to be decorative pieces. After you gelled and sprayed the hair, pin it tightly and then stick the fancy stuff in. Ya, with that much money you can get several Quattro forks that would actually hold hair.
    Yes. I guess that’s true but who would want to risk losing it?

Length
    Chin/CLSC/FTL
    Type
    2b/F/iii

I’ve always lusted after CvB’s Spring Gulch hair pin. There’s something incredibly decadent about having gold, platinum, and diamonds in your hair https://www.instagram.com/p/BxlZRFLHDWV/
    Lady Ravenlocks, Keeper of the Secret Library in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Daily wash and go, monthly henndigo, annual trimmer

Length
    ?/71/Term
    Type
    2a/M/C/iii

There are also these lovely tiaras:

https://www.garrard.com/collections/...garland-tiara/ Elsewhere: https://www.1stdibs.com/jewelry/more.../id-j_7890142/

If you want something twice as expensive: https://www.1stdibs.com/jewelry/neck.../id-j_6030451/

Prices are apparently negotiable.

Both sites have other tiaras and hair accessories to look at with envy.
    Princess Cerise of the Blushing Hues in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    0"/CBL/?
    Type
    2a/M/C/iii

I think their main website is a korean one, so maybe they keep the english descriptions brief. Personally I don't mind, since they wrote the dimensions on a photo with helpful arrows to indicate what size it's describing. But as for 10 inches – it's part of a traditional hairstyle, a different aesthetic than you are going for but lets not be so quick to jump to conclusions. It is absolutely meant to stay in hair from what I can tell.

I think it deserves a little more respect. We wouldn't have a lot of pretty hairtoys nowadays if it weren't for cultures that wore and decorated them like so first.

Looking at traditional Korean hairstyles, I found that binyeo was actually used to hold the hair in place first, be pretty second! For example in a bun like this, which was for married women:

I didn't find a source unfortunately, but here's a tutorial. c:

I don't know how the other pin was used, though, probably on top of it like you suggested!
    Oh that's a lovely bun! Thank you for sharing it. I think all of the larger pieces are really interesting.

Length
    short/hip/term
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by C_Bookworm View Post
    I’ve always lusted after CvB’s Spring Gulch hair pin. There’s something incredibly decadent about having gold, platinum, and diamonds in your hair https://www.instagram.com/p/BxlZRFLHDWV/
    Oh my... That's lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by HaMalka View Post
    There are also these lovely tiaras:

https://www.garrard.com/collections/...garland-tiara/ Elsewhere: https://www.1stdibs.com/jewelry/more.../id-j_7890142/

If you want something twice as expensive: https://www.1stdibs.com/jewelry/neck.../id-j_6030451/

Prices are apparently negotiable.

Both sites have other tiaras and hair accessories to look at with envy.
    Let them wear tiaras!

Ooh nice. Although isn't it a lot of trouble to braid the hair first, bind it then put it up? I think my great grandma used silver hairsticks like that. I've never met her of course but my grandma described how she put up her long hair. They used hair oil and gel made from hibiscus bark back then to hold the hairstyles. I think those increase the grip a lot. My hair is pretty much like grandma's and it's way too slippery to use metal sticks. I'm glad we have wooden hair forks and Ficcares nowadays so I can put my hair up in 30 seconds.
    It takes me about three minutes to braid my hair (if that), would take about another minute to tuck the end up and tie it there, another 30 seconds to plop it up into the style and stick a hairstick into it...
    Putting it in my signature because I have to say it so often:
    Do what works for your hair, not what other people say is "right" or "wrong." If it works for you, it's not wrong. If it doesn't work for you, it's not right.