Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: In case $ is burning a hole in your pocket...

Length
    13/37/32
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Default Re: In case $ is burning a hole in your pocket...

I doubt they would wear that fancy comb. Imagine if any of those tines broke then it would be worthless. :O Realistically those are mostly art. I think only high class ladies who didn't do any work wore those. Peasants might have a couple nicer pieces, but they only put them on when visiting or attending parties (when they didn't have to cook and clean). Lighter silver hairsticks and forks were workhorse pieces, though and every woman had some. They decorated their hair with silk flowers and beads, either homemade or bought cheaply from door-to-door vendors. Hmm, talk about it I wore some combs with silk flowers for my wedding. No idea where they are now.

Etsy has lots of cheaper choices in case you guys are yearning for pretties.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/7504137...ossom-japanese
    Last edited by sapphire-o; September 14th, 2020 at 04:22 AM.

Growing in the Silvers hennalonghair's Avatar
    Length
    APL/TBL/CL
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Neoma View Post
    It’s worth almost $900 and the seller couldn’t even write the dimensions down. You had to look at the picture only to discover it’s almost 10 inches. Who wants a hair stick 10 inches long? Plus it doesn’t look like it has any holding power. In fact the cheaper items have far more unrealistic pictures of how these super expensive hair toys could be instantly lost since they aren’t realistically meant to stay in hair. They’d be better off being stuck in a piece of bread.

Length
    13/37/32
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Henna I'm sure they're meant to be decorative pieces. After you gelled and sprayed the hair, pin it tightly and then stick the fancy stuff in. Ya, with that much money you can get several Quattro forks that would actually hold hair.

Length
    short/hip/term
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lunasea View Post
    It would fall out of my tiny bun too. I'd still like to have it. Just to stare at.
    I agree... It's like a Faberge egg. I'd like to have a collection of those, too.

Lady Neoma, Defender of Creatures Great and Small

Quote Originally Posted by sapphire-o View Post
    I doubt they would wear that fancy comb. Imagine if any of those tines broke then it would be worthless. :O Realistically those are mostly art. I think only high class ladies who didn't do any work wore those. Peasants might have a couple nicer pieces, but they only put them on when visiting or attending parties (when they didn't have to cook and clean).
    lol for sure it's mostly art, but I was more wondering if the current owner wore it at least once. Like for people who drop several 100k on an antique car... some of them actually enjoy USING it, and some just enjoy HAVING it.

If I ever win the lottery and decide to buy a super expensive antique comb, I will take a pic wearing it and post it for everyone on this site to see lol because why not.
    Much love to all my fellow long hair peoples!

~ ~

Length
    short/hip/term
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandrina View Post
    If I ever win the lottery and decide to buy a super expensive antique comb, I will take a pic wearing it and post it for everyone on this site to see lol because why not.
    I look forward to seeing what you buy with your lottery winnings.

Lady Neoma, Defender of Creatures Great and Small

Mediocre Clarinet Player ExpectoPatronum's Avatar
    Length
    APL/WST/CLSC
    Type
    2c/M/ii/iii

That comb is definitely a work of art, but yikes! That price!

I second the other commenter who said it made $40 hair toys look like a bargain

Starting from scratch
    7/4/2019
    Curly: SHDR.APL.BSL.MBL.WST.HIP.TB.CLSC
    Stretched: APL.BSL.MBL.WST.HIP.TB.CLSC
    Lady Andromeda, Keeper of Feathered Fauna, in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Type
    1b/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandrina View Post
    lol for sure it's mostly art, but I was more wondering if the current owner wore it at least once. Like for people who drop several 100k on an antique car... some of them actually enjoy USING it, and some just enjoy HAVING it.

If I ever had that kind of money to drop on a hair comb, I would definitely wear it at least once. Thing is, I'd have to be totally, filthy rich because I would donate money to a cause before I'd buy something like that.
    Time is the fire in which we burn...Delmore Schwartz
    Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light...Dylan Thomas

Length
    BSL/CL/CL
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Ah, these make jeweled Quattros seem cheap. And I was shocked at those prices when I first found them. (Of course, now I'm a believer.)

Pretty though

Art is nice. But I like art better when it's also practical. To me, usefulness adds a difficult criteria to art, so when something is both useful and pretty, it is superior (just in my opinion) to something that is purely one or the other.
    You are a beautiful creation! Psalm 139

Type
    3a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by hennalonghair View Post
    It’s worth almost $900 and the seller couldn’t even write the dimensions down. You had to look at the picture only to discover it’s almost 10 inches. Who wants a hair stick 10 inches long? Plus it doesn’t look like it has any holding power. In fact the cheaper items have far more unrealistic pictures of how these super expensive hair toys could be instantly lost since they aren’t realistically meant to stay in hair. They’d be better off being stuck in a piece of bread. :rolleyes:
    I think their main website is a korean one, so maybe they keep the english descriptions brief. Personally I don't mind, since they wrote the dimensions on a photo with helpful arrows to indicate what size it's describing. But as for 10 inches – it's part of a traditional hairstyle, a different aesthetic than you are going for but lets not be so quick to jump to conclusions. It is absolutely meant to stay in hair from what I can tell.

I think it deserves a little more respect. We wouldn't have a lot of pretty hairtoys nowadays if it weren't for cultures that wore and decorated them like so first.

Quote Originally Posted by sapphire-o View Post
    Henna I'm sure they're meant to be decorative pieces. After you gelled and sprayed the hair, pin it tightly and then stick the fancy stuff in. :) Ya, with that much money you can get several Quattro forks that would actually hold hair. :D
    Looking at traditional Korean hairstyles, I found that binyeo was actually used to hold the hair in place first, be pretty second! For example in a bun like this, which was for married women:

I didn't find a source unfortunately, but here's a tutorial. c:

I don't know how the other pin was used, though, probably on top of it like you suggested!
    Last edited by ynne; September 20th, 2020 at 02:14 AM.
    ears | shoulders | APL | SBL | waist (curly)
    ears | shoulders | APL | SBL | waist (stretched)
    Prounouns: they/them only, please!