Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Silicone in shampoo

Length
    Shave/CL/Knee
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Default Silicone in shampoo

Hi, I'm just wondering what everyone's thoughts is about silicone in shampoo? Noticed its in mine.
    Thanks

Length
    CBL/FTL/KL
    Type
    1c/M/ii

Default Re: Silicone in shampoo

I don't think it's harmful. Probably just gives your hair and/or the product itself a little more slip. I think my shampoo has some in it as well. I guess it might be more likely to exacerbate an oily scalp?

What's the shampoo? But regardless, if it works then it works.

Length
    Shave/CL/Knee
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Zesty View Post
    I don't think it's harmful. Probably just gives your hair and/or the product itself a little more slip. I think my shampoo has some in it as well. I guess it might be more likely to exacerbate an oily scalp?

What's the shampoo? But regardless, if it works then it works.
    It's kerastase extentioniste shampoo Amdimethicone ( not sure I spelled this correctly!)

Secretly a Bald Dude AmaryllisRed's Avatar
    Length
    MBL/Waist/cheez
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

If I use shampoo without silicone, it makes my hair really hard to detangle above the neck where I don't use conditioner. But I feel like the silicone makes my scalp oily faster, so I alternate between the two.
    Hair is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
    My not-usually-hair-related blog is at www.thecoffeelessmom.wordpress.com

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Whether you are *for* or *against* silicones, is a very personal thing. I reckon if it's not broken then don't fix it. Don't pick it apart (I used to do that), and just go by how your hair reacts to it.

I would, though, keep a shampoo on hand that has 0 silicones in it, so you can clarify once in a while. Your hair (as they say) might "get used to it". That just means there's build up (kind of unlikely in a shampoo) and you need to re-set your hair.

Hope this makes sense.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    Shave/CL/Knee
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Thanks everyone, my hair seems to really like it at the moment, I also thought I'd need to clarify to get rid of build up.
    Hopefully it will be ok for my hair

Amodimethicone doesn’t build up too much, as far as I remember. It is supposed to help to repair damaged hair.

I had a shampoo with it in, and it was fine. The shampoo was reformulated without it, and I didn’t really notice a difference.

Length
    Waist/TB/FT
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

I second Lapushka! :-)
    I shunned silicones for years, but after having them back in my routine I am much happier with my hair. They work nicely for me anyways. I would prefer only having silicones in my leave in, just because I could get away with less build up then (I CWC, so the longer I can go without clarifying, the happier I am). Since I am using Head and Shoulders I have to accept silicones in my shampoo and conditioner now. Anyway, as long as you know your hair enough to know when it's time for a full wash with a non silicone shampoo (or a clarifying shampoo) I think silicones are a good addition to haircare.

Length
    Shave/CL/Knee
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Thanks everyone I'm hoping it helps with my tangles, it seems to be making a difference at the moment.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by SeppV View Post
    I second Lapushka! :-)
    I shunned silicones for years, but after having them back in my routine I am much happier with my hair. They work nicely for me anyways. I would prefer only having silicones in my leave in, just because I could get away with less build up then (I CWC, so the longer I can go without clarifying, the happier I am). Since I am using Head and Shoulders I have to accept silicones in my shampoo and conditioner now. Anyway, as long as you know your hair enough to know when it's time for a full wash with a non silicone shampoo (or a clarifying shampoo) I think silicones are a good addition to haircare.
    It is in H&S. Never knew that, but then I know I need it, and generally never read that ingredient list. Oh well.

I try to cake the silicones on in my conditioners, if I can (I just don't read ingredients anymore so your guess: as good as mine) but I try (or: tried) to be careful with them in my shampoo. Even though it seems to be much more complicated. I used to think it would flare-up my SD, and even that is not the case. It is so much more complicated than this so... don't mind me. LOL!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)