Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi again!

Default Hi again!

I've been on and off this forum for YEARS (I think I had a different sn when I first got on here). I am growing my hair out from 2 years of keeping it short and then buzzing it in September 2018. It's currently shoulder length, but does have some shorter layers.

I'd love some tips on how to best take care of it. I use a really expensive, vegan, sulphate, paraban free shampoo and conditioner so I think I'm good there. It doesn't tangle and is a little wavy/frizzy but not curly. I only wash/condition it every 3 days (unless I happen to go swimming or something odd) and I don't brush it very often; I usually just run my fingers through it at night.

After it dries the first day I wash it, I usually keep it up in a ponytail because it's really hot right now and it gets annoying. Kind of a looped ponytail where I don't bring it all the way through the last time. Are ponytails/hairbands bad and/or do they cause breakage? I know how to French braid but my hair is slippery and at a length that still makes it difficult. But if braiding is better, I could do that. (My hairdresser says braiding is good for helping hair grow because the tension of braiding and the braid make it grow faster?) None of the buns I used to do when my hair was long are possible yet. Overall, I just like it out of my face so I don't have to think about it. I usually sleep with it down though.

Also, how often should I get trims? I want to get all my hair the same length eventually. I think the last time I had it trimmed was in March, right before quarantine.

Any other advice for keeping my hair healthy and safe as I grow it out?

Length
    10/23+/fun

Default Re: Hi again!

welcome....

O.R.
    Profile pic from a couple years ago(ahem)...

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Welcome.

FYI, just to mention it, it's not because you're using expensive shampoo that that is the best for your hair. I am a drugstore girl at heart (and there is nothing wrong with either).
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    Pixie/MBL/???

Welcome! 🤗
    I’m finally checking the ONE and only item off my bucket list! Longer hair than a pixie! Now I’m creeping to waist and can’t believe it!!! Growing til I retire...and probably after.... 🤗

Length
    0.25/52/Term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Welcome back!

Be nice or the beast will scream

Lady Raven, Guardian of the Enchanted Forests of Nevermore. In The Order of the Long Haired Knights

I tried french braiding my hair this weekend and it was a disaster, lol. First, I tried when my hair was dirty and I couldn't get it to lay straight/flat without HUGE bumps. So I thought maybe it was too dirty. The next day, after I washed my hair and it was dry, I tried again. Same thing. I feel like there is SO MUCH distance between the front of my head and the back where the braid is, that I just can't get the pieces I'm picking up to lie flat.

Also, because my hair is shorter, I run out of hair to pick up before I'm all the way to the bottom of my head and hair is falling out of my braid - I just can't make it work. I watched Milabu's YouTube video on braiding short hair and she makes it look so easy! And her hair is shorter than mine. Not sure what I'm doing wrong...

Length
    BSL/CL/CL
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Hi and welcome!

I find braids easy but also wore my hair in ponytails for years. Since discovering hair toys a year ago, I've moved to buns as a primary style. The ponytails were probably slightly damaging, but my hair survived fine.

There are some threads for shorter hair - they might be able to help with styles. And practice can help make the styles easier and neater.
    You are a beautiful creation! Psalm 139

Length
    12"/Calf/Calf
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Welcome back! One tip: Always treat your hair really gently.
    JESUS, MY LORD AND SAVIOUR

I can't wait until my hair is long enough for buns again! That's how I always used to wear my hair when it was long before.

Length
    BSL/HL/TBL
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Welcome back! I live for the braids, ponytails and buns work for keeping hair out of your face but since I've been braiding my hairs been tangle free. I also recommend looking for some protective styles when sleeping too. I wear a lose braid (not too tight) at night and it makes my hair lots more manageable in the morning