Thread: Help! Copper hair dye over henna?

Default Help! Copper hair dye over henna?

First of all, hi! And sorry for the long post.
    So, I used the khadi henna (which I believe is pure henna) on my hair a few times, and I noticed a bit too late that it has gotten much darker than I like.
    I have medium ash blonde hair, and for a couple of years I dyed with chemical dyes, until I made the terrible, terrible mistake of using a box dye that fried my fine hair beyond repair. I grew it all out and now my hair is the healthiest it has ever been, but the henna over the virgin hair is too dark and I really want the coppery orange back. I also have around 5 cm of virgin roots.
    I was wondering if I could just dye it my desired color over the henna (which would be an igora 7.77), if I should try using colorb4 to remove a bit of henna before dying it, if someone has a better solution or if I should just sit my ass down and wait for it to grow out. I know I am expecting too much, but I want to keep my hair as healthy as possible. I'm not trying to divorce henna, I just want an open relationship

Length
    Pixie/2"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Default Re: Help! Copper hair dye over henna?

You can't lighten henna with a box dye, all it would do is damage your hair.
    There is a long post on here somewhere about using sun in to lighten henna. Its really the least damaging way

Southwest/New England/Deep South/Appalachia
    Length
    42/42/42
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Default Re: Help! Copper hair dye over henna?

Here is Nightblooming's article on Sun-In. She was in much the same situation a number of years ago, apparently.