Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Humidity Help!!!!

Length
    NL/APL/HL
    Type
    4a/C/ii/iii

Default Humidity Help!!!!

Please tell me the best products at helping hair survive 100% humidity. I think cones are usually optimal, but those aren't working in my level of humidity. I pretty much have to doggie paddle when I go outside, it's that humid. I'm so tired of frizz - please help!
    flaws are the most advanced form of art - bgd

Purple Enthusiast SleepyTangles's Avatar
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Default Re: Humidity Help!!!!

Without my dehumidifier I'd be walking around with a giant dandelion instead of my hair, these days. I make sure I stay in the same room when my hair Is drying.

I'm also slicking my wispies with jojoba oil, which is a bit unusual for somebody with an oily scalp like mine, but... Whatever works.
    Pixie!- Shingle - Chin-length floofball - B(L)ob - Shoulder...

Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

I'll definitely be watching for recs, too. It's just a horrible, thick, hot, gooey atmosphere every.single.day. It doesn't matter if I use gel, leave-in, cream, butter-hair starts ok but ends up as brittle-feeling straw. This year seems worse than ever...I've been meaning to go back to flax gel. Not a strong hold, but I always remember it controlling frizz while being soft, but definitely not defined. Sorry. No help here.

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Oooh I wish... I wish I had the answer to that one!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    APL/WST/CLSC
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

I deal with high humidity where I live and the only thing that helps me is a good gel. In high humidity, it's key to not touch your hair at all while it's drying and to only scrunch out the crunch after it's completely dry. If I scrunch too soon, then my hair frizzes up.

HTH!

Starting from scratch
    7/4/2019
    Curly: SHDR.APL.BSL.MBL.WST.HIP.CLSC
    Stretched: APL.BSL.MBL.WST.HIP.CLSC

Length
    2/37/52
    Type
    2c/F/ii/iii

my hair only frizzes when it wants more moisture, (which is all the time) even if it's raining, so more deep conditioning is all that helps.

Pixie 2015 ~ TBL 2020 ~ Knee 2024?

Onward and Upward GoddesJourney's Avatar
    Length
    BSL/WL/TB/CL
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii/iii

I found that silicones actually gave me more frizz from drying out my hair. Once I grew all that mess out my frizz level dropped to nothing I cared about. That was in SW Florida. I find now that my hair really likes the humidity and it gives me volume over frizz. Dry climate makes it limp with flyaways.

For cool tips on life, check out my blog, How to Be Awesome, For Free, a survival guide for surviving in style.

Southwest/New England/Deep South/Appalachia
    Length
    42/42/42
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

I used to live right on the edge of the Okefenokee--miss my friends there, do NOT miss the weather : P I never figured out what would make my hair behave in that weather. Braids seemed to do a little better for me than buns in containing the frizz, but I'd still always have a little mini-halo of baby hairs standing right up from my scalp.

The Cheery Raggamuffin AutobotsAttack's Avatar
    Length
    Chin/40in/FTL
    Type
    3c/4a/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by blackgothicdoll View Post
    Please tell me the best products at helping hair survive 100% humidity. I think cones are usually optimal, but those aren't working in my level of humidity. I pretty much have to doggie paddle when I go outside, it's that humid. I'm so tired of frizz - please help!
    You’d do good with a heavy cream leave-in.

I use Africa’s pride coconut oil and Baobab leave-in. That stuff is really sticky, but it gets the job done. It’s sticky enough to where humid doesn’t reactivate it once it’s settled. If you’re okay with a product cast, that’s a pretty good one. Cheap too.

Flaxseed gel is my next one. But it leaves an even worse cast than the Africa’s pride leave in. But again, if you’re cool with a cast try it out.

Design Essentials curl forming custard. Again, this one makes a cast.

These are the ones I use, but essentially it’s gonna come down to your technique. Idk if you’re doing Wash n Go’s, or bunning, or twisting/braiding. If you’re mostly keeping your hair out, I’d try shingling. If you can evenly coat your curls with it, it’ll weigh them down enough to keep all the strands laying evenly. If you’re rocking twists/braids, just apply some product where most of the frizz forms the night before, and then tie your hair down. The next morning should be at least somewhat decent in terms of frizz and humidity.
    “A Wizard is never late! He arrives precisely when he means to!”
    Chin>Neck>SL>BSL>WL>HL>BCL>TBL>Classic>Upper Thigh
    I was the only one who wasn’t King Fu Fighting.

Length
    Pixie/1"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

What about mineral oil or blue magic? Blue magic always works great to get my frizzy ends under control
    Letting the sparkles grow