Thread: (Malessezia) Using hair masks when using ketoconazol?

Default (Malessezia) Using hair masks when using ketoconazol?

Hi folks
    I've got some scalp issues I'm trying to sort out once and for all, and I'm about to try the Nizoral treatment, but I know it's going to absolutely fry and frizz my hair. My hair is dry/coarse as it is already, so I dread how it's gonna be when using Nizoral.

Right now, I'm only using Malessezia-safe produts, which includes basically no treatments since they're so few safe ones. (Most contain ingredients that Malessezia feeds on)

So my question is, can I use treatments that are non-safe while using Nizoral, or will it cancel out the Ketoconazol? I would assume the Ketoconazol is so powerful, it won't matter until after I stop using it, but at the same time, I don't want to blast my poor locks into a frizzy mayhem if I'm gonna also ruin the treatment by using random prodcuts that feed the fungus.

Any thoughts?

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: (Malessezia) Using hair masks when using ketoconazol?

Nizoral never fries and frizzes up my hair, not one bit. I typically suds it up, let it sit for 10 minutes, then suds up more and wash my scalp and then rinse. You need to let it sit for a while, don't forget that. Nizoral is not a shampoo you can just wash with.

I would use the Nizoral by itself, nothing else!!!

I do hope you got the 2% (prescription strength). It's the only version we can get in Belgium, and it is totally over the counter. But expensive at 14.25 euro per 100ml!

And I typically use moisturizing masks after a dry shampoo, but only ears down, so it won't touch my scalp. I basically wash my hair bent over, because that way, these "things" can't touch your scalp by a mile!

Good luck!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Oh! I'll keep that in mind! I dont know the %, but it says 20 mg here in Norway (Fungoral). Hoping it will work. It's stated to be the one for Malessezia so. I will def let it sit in the scalp, tho! Thanks for the input! Hoping it wont fry my hair, haha.

Length
    17,5/25/?
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

I don't have your scalp issues, but I sometimes use ketoconazole shampoo for other reasons. And it's very drying for hair. So I always protect my lengths with heavy mask before I apply this shampoo to my scalp. And afterwards I use a moisturising mask in my lengths again.
    I have heard the mermaids singing... and I do think that they will sing to me...

Don't miss the LHC Book Club!

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by solitudinarian View Post
    Oh! I'll keep that in mind! I dont know the %, but it says 20 mg here in Norway (Fungoral). Hoping it will work. It's stated to be the one for Malessezia so. I will def let it sit in the scalp, tho! Thanks for the input! Hoping it wont fry my hair, haha.
    Yep that's the full strength 2% one! For sure!

It's just a shampoo. Don't freak out.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Suortuva View Post
    I don't have your scalp issues, but I sometimes use ketoconazole shampoo for other reasons. And it's very drying for hair. So I always protect my lengths with heavy mask before I apply this shampoo to my scalp. And afterwards I use a moisturising mask in my lengths again.
    I do have oilier hair. And I wait until it's day 7 to wash, so... it's funny. I have never noticed it being drying, but I like my scalp nice and dry. The lengths I can manage with a good conditioner or mask.

Maybe, solitudinarian, try applying your conditioner (on your lengths only) twice after this shampoo, if it will help. I always use my conditioner twice (WCC method, see signature), so maybe that is exactly why I don't notice things being drying. LOL!