Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back and a little disheartened...

Length
    BSL/HL/TBL
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Default Back and a little disheartened...

Hi everyone,

Finally my first post after 5 years. I've been lurking around since coronavirus lockdown and since the salons had closed I learnt now to self-trim and kept my hair mostly in a braid rather than loose all the time. This has worked wonders for my hair - it's less frizzy, doesn't get tangled as often and I finally after giving up for so long reached my mini-goal which is hip length. So this is all great news except for one thing... the ends are so straggly and thin it gets me down even catching a glimpse of it in a mirror.

My hairs so thin on the bottom it's virtually invisible sometimes and my hairs not exactly light, it's medium brown with a slight auburn undertone. My hairdresser cut VERY thick layers in the mid-lengths and a deep V shape last time I had a proper cut which left the ends wispy (I asked for thicker ends by the way) but I'm reluctant to cut it all out in one go... as much as the temptation is there sometimes. Also noticed that I seemed to have been shedding quite a lot due to stress and climate change and this drove me to actually monitor the loss over a few weeks, turns out I lose around 60-70 hairs on average a day (normal right?)

So while I'm glad to see that there's only average hair loss and a regular S + D works to keep the split ends at bay, it still saddens me that I'm not fully happy with where my hairs looking at the moment... Has anyone else experienced or currently have these post-milestone blues and how did/do you cope with it? I'm planning on sticking with the self-trimming and maybe maintain HL for a while until I'm happy to grow any further. Overall somethings worked for the unmanageable frizz and broken shafts which have been my main hair problems for years so I really don't want to lose hope. Finally, its good to be back and hopefully regain the inspiration which led me to join in the first place

Moony

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: Back and a little disheartened...

Well, there's this that's positive. You reached a milestone: hip. That is great in and of itself. And why not "maintain" that length now that you have learned to self-trim? It's easy enough to do, and your ends will "catch up", making the hemline thicker in appearance.

Welcome back!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Overall I think it sounds positive! You’ve reached hip length and more importantly, you’re much happier with the condition of your hair. Self trimming also gives you control and flexibility on what you want to do next. All good!

Maintaining sounds like a good plan, for a little while. You won’t loose any length and you’ll see an improvement in the thickness every month. It can be very satisfying.

Length
    BSL/CL/CL
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Welcome back! I hope you figure out a great strategy. Maintaining a bit to thicken makes sense to me. But also as someone else who has a lot of taper, I relate to your struggle and would encourage you that hair can still be beautiful, even if thin at the bottom.
    You are a beautiful creation! Psalm 139

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by elise.autumn View Post
    Welcome back! I hope you figure out a great strategy. Maintaining a bit to thicken makes sense to me. But also as someone else who has a lot of taper, I relate to your struggle and would encourage you that hair can still be beautiful, even if thin at the bottom.
    For sure! I mean I cut layers in, so I actually cut taper into my hair (oh no, LOL ) and it's just fine!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    0.25/52/Term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Welcome back!

Be nice or the beast will scream

Lady Raven, Guardian of the Enchanted Forests of Nevermore. In The Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    BSL/HL/TBL
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Thank you all for your kind replies! my self esteem has really struggled lately and reading through these is helping me love myself (and my hair) that little bit more

I've seen some beautiful heads here too btw... Glad to be back!

Length
    Hip/Hip+/Metal
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Welcome back! Hang out with us and have some fun, and you'll see your ends thicken in no time!
    Ósnjallr maðr hyggsk munu ey lifa, ef hann við víg varask;
    en elli gefr hánum engi frið, þótt hánum geirar gefi.

Instagram | Last.fm | Folk band | Acoustic metal duo | My links

Southwest/New England/Deep South/Appalachia
    Length
    42/42/42
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Howdy and good wishes! I have fairly thin ends, too, and can feel self-conscious about them. . . it's not worth the worry, honestly. I don't think most people pay as much attention to those tiny details of one's appearance as one presumes they do. Better to enjoy that hip-length goal and relax about how others might think of your thin ends : )

Length
    18/27/45
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii/iii

Yay for mini-goals!