Thread: Gender expression and long hair

Length
    chin/BSL/Floor
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii/iii

Default Re: Gender expression and long hair

What are your pronouns?

She/her but I'm not opposed to gender neutral phrasing

Do you use your hair as a main way to express your gender? Yes. I don't wear as much traditionally feminine clothing so I tend to use hair and jewelry as a way to express my femininity.

Do you think your gender influences your hair length goals?
    Oh definitely. Growing up, I didn't feel very girly and my mother would keep my hair on the shorter side, which I hated. So I'll admit I'm drawn to a lot of classical art and depictions of femininity, including long hair, now and seek to embrace those ideals (in my own way).

Does it affect how you choose to style your hair? Yes, I would say so.

Have you ever felt conflicted about your hair regarding your gender expression? Yes. In that I associated long hair with being beautiful growing up and still do to an extent. So I felt "ugly" and "boyish" and "wild/unkempt". Bear in mind, I grew up in a heavily religious community with fairly strict gender roles which I am no longer a part of.

surprised her hair's long Corvana's Avatar
    Length
    2"/Hip/Hip
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii/iii

What are your pronouns?
    She/her, and they/them

Do you use your hair as a main way to express your gender?
    Nah

Nope

Does it affect how you choose to style your hair?
    Not really

Have you ever felt conflicted about your hair regarding your gender expression?
    No, I tend to forget it could be, honestly. I first think of clothes when it comes to gender expression, after just being told "hey this is my gender"

I voted genderqueer in the poll, but nonbinary is also technically correct.

I think, though, that my general fashion preferences lean more feminine, regardless of my gender or lack there of. I just like dresses and skirts, you know? And long hair tends to go with that, so that's nice.

I can't nail down my gender, really, and after a couple months of thinking about it I decided it didn't really matter! I saw a post once that made me laugh, but was a little accurate. I don't remember it exactly, but the gist was "I'm a woman. I'm a little guy. I'm a girl. I'm just a dude. I'm not a man. I'm a creature."

Maintaining at Hip-BCL for now.
    Lady Corvana, Keeper of Ravens and Crows in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    BSL/Hip/TBL+
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

What are your pronouns?

I always feel pretty weird about this question. I consider myself cis so I suppose I just use she/her, but honestly I just feel whatever about it. I wouldn't mind he/him or they/them. Sounds weird to say that as a woman but I just don't feel that connected to pronouns I guess.

It depends. I feel like I'm not a super feminine person in general, so having this long flowing hair is probably the most feminine thing about me. And my hair is the only thing appearance wise I typically spend a lot of time on. So I guess it's my tie to femininity in a way.

Well, if I were a dude I think I probably would still have longish hair but I wouldn't be going for longer than waist. But I don't know for sure, because I'm not a dude.

Not really? It's a little complicated because like I said, I am kind of gender nonconforming. I'm queer, and being hyper-feminine doesn't feel like me. Lately I have started favoring a more masculine/ "tomboy" fashion style, although I still dress feminine some days. If I'm wearing like, a masculine outfit I will sometimes go for a simple cinnamon bun or loose locks rather than an elaborate braided style. Other than that no, my go-to styles are just influenced by convenience and what I happen to like.

Maybe a bit. I feel like my hair is always a touch of femininity. Not because long hair is necessarily feminine, but because my current length, cut, and styling is feminine in nature. And because more feminine-presenting women usually have long hair. The first piece of advice for women who want to express themselves more masculine, especially non-straight women, is always to get a pixie, so I feel like I can never fully achieve that style I like. But I would never, ever give up my hair, so it's just gonna have to be like that.
    Last edited by Handel'sWig; January 19th, 2022 at 09:54 AM.
    ~BSL~MBL~WAIST~HIP~BCL~TBL~TBL+

Type
    1b/F/ii

What are your pronouns? Any pronouns are fine. I'm agender, AFAB. It makes me feel best when people mix up the pronouns or gendered references to me. Like, my spouse will sometimes call me their boyfriend or he, but mostly uses they, sometimes wife. Etc. It's nice since most of the world sees me one way. It shows me he seese differently and I appreciate that.

Do you use your hair as a main way to express your gender? I don't have a gender to express. But no, I do use my hair to express myself but not specifically my gender.

Do you think your gender influences your hair length goals? Not at all. I know I could look more androgynous if I had a buzz cut. But I love long hair. It makes me feel happy and I don't owe anyone androgyny.

Does it affect how you choose to style your hair? Nah. Mostly laziness and ignorance affect how I choose to style my hair. Laziness bc I usually just throw it up on top of my head in a bun or braid it instead of taking time to do anything with it. Ignorance bc I honestly don't know how to get my hair to look great down. (Not calling others who like quick, messy buns and braids lazy. You do you, boo. And I realize I could put in some work and educate myself on how to do my hair better but... Laziness for the win. )

Have you ever felt conflicted about your hair regarding your gender expression? Not really. I've always used my hair as a means of artistically expressing myself but I don't see it as being gendered (in my case).
    Have a beautiful day!

Length
    Pixie/CBL/MTL
    Type
    3b/3c/M/ii

What are your pronouns? She/her, although it used to be they/them exclusively. Gender can shift.

Do you use your hair as a main way to express your gender? Historically yes, I have. I had very short cuts for a long time and it felt very gender affirming when I was presenting a masculine gender. Now I don't use my hair this way as much anymore, mostly I use my clothes.

Do you think your gender influences your hair length goals? No, my hair length goals have almost nothing to do with my gender or appearance. I just love hair.

Does it affect how you choose to style your hair? Yes, I still find myself shying away from styles that are very cute or feminine.

Have you ever felt conflicted about your hair regarding your gender expression? ABSOLUTELYYYYYYY yes. It was a big struggle for a long time. I used to feel much more strongly about both my gender-neutral pronouns and my physical appearance being masculine, but then I got top surgery and it turned out that was what I needed, and once I was comfortable in that one way, everything else loosened up.

Length
    1"/MBL/long
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

What are your pronouns? They/them and it/its.

Do you use your hair as a main way to express your gender? I used to, back when I cut it into a pixie three years ago. It didn't entirely work, as the stylist always insisted on "keeping it feminine" though, so I kind of gave up.

Do you think your gender influences your hair length goals? Partly, I think it gives me more freedom from any pressure to have short or long hair, because there is not as strong a social norm of what a non-binary haircut looks like, than of what a feminine or masculine haircut looks like.

Does it affect how you choose to style your hair? Yes, I do try to avoid hairstyles that are seen as very feminine when I go out in public, especially if I don't know the people I'll see very well. I do still like those hairstyles on me, I just don't like how people perceive and treat me when I wear them in public.

Have you ever felt conflicted about your hair regarding your gender expression? Yes, 100%. Again, there is no way to have a non-binary haircut. I really like both short and long hair on me, but both extremes are very gendered, so there is always this question of: "Alright, would I rather be misgendered as a man or as a woman for the following x months/years?"

Length
    SL/HL/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/ii

What are your pronouns? she/her, they/them works too. I'm not very picky

Do you use your hair as a main way to express your gender? I do, I like to be very feminine presenting
    Do you think your gender influences your hair length goals? In a sense, my main influence is to look like a Bog Witch.
    Does it affect how you choose to style your hair? No, I feel that when I have longer hair it softens my features.
    Have you ever felt conflicted about your hair regarding your gender expression? No, but I've never experienced gender dysmorphia
    Find me at the beach or springs wishing I was a mermaid
    SL- MBL - WL - HL - TBL - CLASSIC - FTP - KNEE

Length
    BSL/Waist/Undef
    Type
    1a/F/ii/iii

What are your pronouns?
    I straight up reject the concept of gender lol but she/her is what I'm used to and people will always see me as a she/her and it doesn't bother me in this sense.

No. It actually makes it harder to be seen as non-binary lol but I'm not gonna try to convince anyone.

No.

No. I've always done what I felt like was best/most interesting and people always have and always will shove a gender(or sexual orientation) into it.

Only when I was forced to be more feminine. I was doing what I thought was pretty back then and it was considered very feminine indeed, but they wanted more.
    @morganazoric on Ig | @morganazor on TikTok

July-december 2023 benign neglect challenge(no trimming).