Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wearing hats over hair - how do?

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/BSL/waist
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Default Re: Wearing hats over hair - how do?

I like for my hat to protect my hair from the sun, too, so although I've used the baseball hat suggestion, I don't favor it. Buying the hat a little big so that it fits over milkmaid braids works well; that's what I wore for my walk this morning. I also have a more delicate hat that I pin into place with 2 hat pins. The brim in the back sits right on a bun, and I pin it to the bun.

Length
    12/24in/36 in
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/i/ii

I have a baseball cap with the rear opening for a ponytail, which I pull through and then make a bun around the opening just the same as if I wasn't wearing the cap - the bun sits outside the back strap.

Length
    APL/35/48

Quote Originally Posted by ZoeZ View Post
    I have a baseball cap with the rear opening for a ponytail, which I pull through and then make a bun around the opening just the same as if I wasn't wearing the cap - the bun sits outside the back strap.
    I do that, too. Doesn't even take a minute.

If I have two minutes I sometimes use a scarf. I cover the upper head with it first and then I cross the ends underneath the bun and wrap them around the base of the bun, basically like additional hairstrands. Makes the bun look massive. But it's the same principle: Head is covered, bun is sticking out.

Length
    ?/71/Term
    Type
    2a/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandrina View Post
    Hats! I like hats.
    -Reading about the hat pins posted earlier in this thread, I would love some of those too, lol. I've been tempted to buy some before, because I've seen some really nice ones on ebay and most of them are inexpensive- but I'm not sure what kind of hat I could wear with it.

I googled hatpin in hat and this pic came up: I do like how it holds onto the bun!
    I have also skewered hat pins into fake crown braids and into bandanas, scarves, or caps when my hair isn't positioned to do it as the picture shows.

Quote Originally Posted by barnet_fair View Post
    This is a wonderful idea. The description reminds me of a Bergère hat - I wonder if this was the hat style worn in Williamsburg.

Here's an article showing good ribbon placement behind the bun:
    https://peculiarseamstress.blog/2018...-style-sunhat/

The hat allows more airflow around the head and likely feels cooler than a hat which stays close to the scalp all the way around. I'd be tempted to buy one myself if Brisith weather allowed more than 10 days per year on which to wear it...

This is what I do, as my hair isn't too long for it yet.
    Those hats looks like what I have.
    Princess Cerise of the Blushing Hues in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    BSL/128cm/160cm
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by CopperButterfly View Post
    I just got a hat this summer that has a brim all the way around and has a hole in the back for hair, similar to what a baseball cap has. I've used it for hiking and I love it. It's not really helpful in protecting your hair from the sun, but it works really well to keep the sun off your skin and hair out of the way.

Link to amazon where I got it. There were many versions of the same thing, so I'm sure you could find it elsewhere if you so desire. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
    Thanks for this. I used it as a jumping off link to get this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Join a declutter challenge http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...d.php?t=141272

Nevertheless, she persisted.