Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Any curlies/wurlies/wavies out there that DON"T use gels or creams?

Length
    MBL/HL+/Clssc
    Type
    3b/M/C/ii/iii

Default Re: Any curlies/wurlies/wavies out there that DON"T use gels or creams?

For many years I used my rinse-out as leave-in and smoothed it down with oil (usually olive or sunflower) but my hair didn't feel nice every winter (perhaps I just used too much product).

I tried gels on and off the last 2 years but synthetic gels tend to feel producty (too much friction) or stiff on my hair, and botanical gels usually make my hair feel too rough/stiff because they're usually formulated with aloe vera juice.

Rinse-out conditioners actually tend to make my hair feel too "textured" on the surface when left on, so now I use a lighterweight cream instead because it probably feels better on my hair than the "meant-to-be" leave-ins I currently have.

Length
    Pixie/SL/TBL

I leave conditioner on my ends. I grew out a pixie a couple years ago and did not like the “hard crunchy” feel of gels. I know exactly what you are talking about. When I discovered to leave in conditioner I was in love with the feel. I do remember the days of growing out the pixie. Stick with LHC and you will make it! 👍🏻
    Growing til I retire.... the countdown!!! 🤗

Length
    Buzz/Neck+/Long
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

I don't bother, I'm too lazy. Either my hair waves or it doesn't, that's up for it to decide!
    Buzzed ~ Pixie ~ Mid-ear Bob ~ Chin ~ (Bottom of Neck) ~ SL ~ APL ~ MBL? ~ WL?? ~ Hip??? ~ TBL???? ~ Classic?????
    No Trim 2020 || Brushing shoulder by September 2020!? || Collarbone by December 2020!?!?

Length
    15/28/35
    Type
    2c/3a/F/iii

The Mop refuses most gels and creams unless they’re being washed out quickly. I don’t like fighting with it during the week so I don’t use either. It spends most of its time in a bun of some description anyway so I’m not losing anything by not using them.
    ​So...knee?

Length
    Pixie/BSL/MBL
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

A touch of hair oil (of any kind) does the trick for my wurly frizz. Sometimes i spray some diluted vinegar on before the oil as a leave-in.

Length
    1.25/4.25/APL?
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

Update: I think I've figured out the issue. Leave in conditioner seems to be what has been making my hair feel yucky. So for this last week I've gone back to my routine of using Cantu Natural Shampoo & Conditioner and alternating wash days with As I Am cowash. After rinsing everything well, I put in just a dab of the Cantu Kid's curl cream, style, and let air dry. My results are exactly what I have been wanting - soft, non-producty feeling hair. Whew!

I guess my hair just does better without a leave-in.
    Growing out again since August 2019
    pixie
    ~ cl ~ sl ~ apl ~ bsl ~.......?

Length
    15/28/35
    Type
    2c/3a/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by whiteisle View Post
    Update: I think I've figured out the issue. Leave in conditioner seems to be what has been making my hair feel yucky. So for this last week I've gone back to my routine of using Cantu Natural Shampoo & Conditioner and alternating wash days with As I Am cowash. After rinsing everything well, I put in just a dab of the Cantu Kid's curl cream, style, and let air dry. My results are exactly what I have been wanting - soft, non-producty feeling hair. Whew!

I guess my hair just does better without a leave-in.
    Ah, curls..cursed, picky buggers that they are. Glad you found your sweet spot
    ​So...knee?