Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Double posting bug

Length
    24/47"/?
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Default Re: Double posting bug

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Yes that's what I have started doing as well, often there's a bit of a delay, and I refrain myself from clicking again, copy what I wrote, go back, refresh, and see if it's there or not.
    This is exactly what I do.

Southwest/New England/Deep South/Appalachia
    Length
    42/42/42
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

I think when I've gotten double posts it's mostly because of hiccuppy internet not running fast enough when you first click the button, and then eventually catching up only to post it twice! I haven't noticed the glitch described by EdG/Musical Spoons, though.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by MusicalSpoons View Post
    The other option is to try posting again very soon after it appears not to submit, and you'll get a notice saying it's exactly the same as a post you've just submitted and you need to wait 30 seconds to be allowed to post again then you know it definitely went!
    When you click too fast that's often how double posts happen, because it seems not to have "registered" yet with the server - meaning you don't always get the double posting message.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    When you click too fast that's often how double posts happen, because it seems not to have "registered" yet with the server - meaning you don't always get the double posting message.
    Oh right, I've not had that happen as far as I know. It's usually when I'm not sure if I clicked hard enough and about 5-10 seconds later I'll try again, and that's when it comes up with the message. Obviously if you go the other way and leave it too long it wouldn't come up either due to being long enough between posts, so it's definitely not a guaranteed method!
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Type
    2a/C/iii

Yes, that's a very common glitch. I assumed most people were aware of it but perhaps not. The post also shows as 'latest post' in the thread, wherever one views an index (on the subforum or from subscriptions or anywhere) so it's clearly submitted, just doesn't actually appear. It is annoying in threads with more in-depth discussion when it's easy to miss the reply that initially didn't show up.
    I have also seen a new post appear in "Last Post" but not in the actual thread. The board does two of three steps - update "What's New" and "Last Post" but not the thread itself. This condition persists until the next post is made to the thread, and then both posts show up.

I was trying to figure out whether the bug occurs at page crossings, but that does not seem to be a factor.
    Ed
    If there's something strange with your long hair / Who you gonna call? / L-H-C! (sung to the tune of Ghostbusters)

Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by EdG View Post
    I have also seen a new post appear in "Last Post" but not in the actual thread. The board does two of three steps - update "What's New" and "Last Post" but not the thread itself. This condition persists until the next post is made to the thread, and then both posts show up.

I was trying to figure out whether the bug occurs at page crossings, but that does not seem to be a factor.
    Ed
    Yes, exactly. I don't know about when people have double posted, but the disappearing 'last post' does tend to happen when it makes a new page (at least the ones I've noticed, anyway).

Type
    2a/C/iii

Yes, exactly. I don't know about when people have double posted, but the disappearing 'last post' does tend to happen when it makes a new page (at least the ones I've noticed, anyway).
    I know that I have seen the disappearing post bug at the start of a new page, but I think that I have seen it in the middle of a page.

Users can set the number of posts per page, and so the page crossings may differ.
    Ed
    If there's something strange with your long hair / Who you gonna call? / L-H-C! (sung to the tune of Ghostbusters)

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I know that I have seen the disappearing post bug at the start of a new page, but I think that I have seen it in the middle of a page.

Users can set the number of posts per page, and so the page crossings may differ.
    Ed
    I have the largest amounts of posts per page (else I'd be clicking myself silly LOL). It still happens to me, not a lot, but it does, and not always at the turn of every page.

Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Ed
    Oh good point, I think mine's still set to the default (which appears to be 10).

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Oh good point, I think mine's still set to the default (which appears to be 10).
    Ooh you gotta try the other setting (weren't there two, long time since I checked). So much more convenient (to me at least), you can scroll through all the answers so easily!