Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hair Tea Recipes?

Length
    Chin/Hip/Knee
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

Default Hair Tea Recipes?

I'm in the mood to experiment a little with some DIY hair recipes, I have catnip and a tea infuser and was wondering if anyone had any ideas of what to put with it. I've seen many people raving about fenugreek - should I get the seeds or the powder for this sort of project?

Thank you in advance!

Long-Term: Grow to knee; maintain until I have an even hemline + virgin hair before continuing to grow.
    Chin-length Bob in July 2016 Reached Tailbone in August 2020 Next Goal: Classic by August 2020.

Southwest/New England/Deep South/Appalachia
    Length
    42/42/42
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Default Re: Hair Tea Recipes?

The only herbal tea I've ever used for my hair is catnip, so please take my culinary-based advice cautiously ( ;

In Egyptian cooking we often soak whole fenugreek in hot water before using it in cake, bread, etc. It gives off a slightly thick liquid that has the same smell as the seed (I don't use the liquid for anything, but I guess maybe I should!). Ground fenugreek we use more for spice mixes to season vegetables/meat before cooking them. It is very fine and dusty, hard to incorporate into liquid. Therefore, I imagine that whole, soaked seeds would be better to use in a "hair tea," and certainly less messy to apply to your hair than trying to mix ground fenugreek into water. Hopefully someone who has actually used it for hair will come along and be able to help you, though!

Student of long hair care squirrrel's Avatar
    Length
    24/45.7/?
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

I have used ground fenugreek in a herbal mud, but this is treated much like henna, rather than as a tea.

Length
    APL/Hip/FTL

I have tried fenugreek liquid, grinding whole greek seeds after soaking, and powder. I liked using the powder applied with yogurt the best as a DT as it made the most noticeable difference to my hair, in a good way. Grinding the soaked whole seeds into a paste was a nightmare to wash out. The soaked seed liquid water would be worth experimenting more, I only have tried it once. My hair felt nice afterwards. It gets mucusy like flax or chia seeds or marshmallow root.

In mine I use some combination (usually depends on what I have on hand) of:

Lavender
    Rosemary
    Chamomile
    Calendula and/or marigold
    Juniper berries
    Hibiscus
    Horsetail
    Yarrow
    Black tea
    Putting it in my signature because I have to say it so often:
    Do what works for your hair, not what other people say is "right" or "wrong." If it works for you, it's not wrong. If it doesn't work for you, it's not right.

Length
    APL/Hip/FTL

Also I didn’t read your full post! I started using catnip pretty regularly a few months ago. I find my hair feels very nice when I use it alone. I’ve mixed it with lots of other herbs and for my hair I recognize best results by itself. My hair feels really soft and nice. I haven’t noticed a difference with split ends yet.

Length
    BSL/clas/?
    Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

I've been using catnip tea instead of conditioner (with baby oil on the ends while still damp) for years. Got me from hip to knee!

But, times I add some rosemary or lavender, just because it smell so good.

Length
    16/38/TBL
    Type
    1b/F/ii

My last rinse consisted of 1 part each of:
    Hibiscus flowers
    Horsetail
    Lavender buds and
    a pinch of Nettle leaves

I've ordered some Catinip, Rooibos and Calendula to add to the mix. I was hoping to get some darkening/red from the Hibiscus but didn't. I only left it on for about 5 minutes in the shower so I'll try longer next time. My hair was soft and shiny afterwards with very few tangles which is always a good thing.

As for Fenugreek, I have only used the oil. I use it for scalp massage and it is really nice!
    CBL/APL/BSL​/MBL/Waist/Hip/TBL

Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

For my Henna I use Chamomile or Rosemary tea (More often it is Chamomile, I buy some rosemary in bulk but chamomile tea is the "ease of use winner")
    I've done both as rinses as well (Though I prefer Rosemary there)

I'm now wondering what would happen if I did rice water with rosemary or chamomile instead of water.... LOL

Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Kat View Post
    In mine I use some combination (usually depends on what I have on hand) of:

Lavender
    Rosemary
    Chamomile
    Calendula and/or marigold
    Juniper berries
    Hibiscus
    Horsetail
    Yarrow
    Black tea
    Yarrow grows wild at my home so I may try that...
    And now I wonder if St Johns wort has any sort of helpful properties!