Thread: The Body Shop hair oils

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Default The Body Shop hair oils

Has anyone tried The Body Shop hair oils? There's a coconut one, a wild argan one, and a grapeseed serum that I'm curious about. I'm wondering if anyone has had a good experience with these.

I know that here on the forum people generally prefer natural oils (and these products aren't).
    I also like doing pre-shampoo natural oil treatments, but I'm looking for something to leave in my hair after washing, to make my hair glossier, softer etc. Natural oils just make my hair look greasy, so that doesn't work for me.

Thanks
    Neck / SL / APL / BSL / WL+ / HL / BCL / TBL!
    Dye-free since Dec 2018.
    2021 plan: grow & trim - get rid of layers & reach hip-BCL.

Length
    BSL/HL/???
    Type
    1b/1c/M/C/ii/iii

Default Re: The Body Shop hair oils

This got me curious but it looks like it costs almost twice the price of normal coconut oil wow. I'll check in if someone has tried later

Length
    20"/23"/28"
    Type
    2c/M/ii

The coconut oil and the argan oil variants are largely natural.

Capric/ caprylic triglycerides is fractionated coconut oil. The lightweight silky liquid portion of CO, great for grabby ends and for smoothing a bun.

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Firefox7275 View Post
    The coconut oil and the argan oil variants are largely natural.

Capric/ caprylic triglycerides is fractionated coconut oil. The lightweight silky liquid portion of CO, great for grabby ends and for smoothing a bun.
    Interesting, I had no idea. Is fractionated coconut oil better less greasy-looking than regular CO on hair then?
    Dye-free since Dec 2018.

Type
    2c/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Amenahh View Post
    Interesting, I had no idea. Is fractionated coconut oil better less greasy-looking than regular CO on hair then?

I’ve had this before (plain fractionated coconut oil, not The Body Shop one). It doesn’t solidify at room temperature (or in the fridge, I believe), so the texture is a little different. It wasn’t something I was able to use on my hair, mine’s too fine, but I used it as a body oil. Not sure what that Body Shop formula is like, though. Maybe that one is formulated to be for hair use?

Length
    20"/23"/28"
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Amenahh View Post
    I think so, but that is partly because it is easier to portion out a small amount (drops) and spread it over or through hair!

I use regular coconut oil for pre-wash treatments, but it always ends up stringy and uneven looking.

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Renia22, on the label it says it's for skin and hair.

Firefox7275, I might give it a shot at some point then. I also use regular CO for pre-wash treatments, and it works great for that purpose, but not for adding a bit of shine and softness post-wash. It also looks stringy for me, and greasy.
    Dye-free since Dec 2018.

Length
    CBL/HL/CL
    Type
    2a/C/iii

It looks like the Body Shop coconut hair oil is a mix of soya oil and fractionated coconut oil, with some miscellaneous fragrances and other ingredients:

Glycine Soja Oil/Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, Cocos Nucifera Oil/Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Parfum/Fragrance, Tocopherol, Pentaclethra Macroloba Seed Oil, Helianthus Annuus Seed Oil/Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Rosmarinus Officinalis Extract/Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Extract, Coumarin, Citric Acid.

For a similar price in the UK you can buy pure fractionated coconut oil (e.g. from Amphora Aromatics). I was pleased to discover fractionated coconut oil, as raw coconut oil stays hard and solid most for most of the year in the UK's climate! I use a couple of drops of fractionated coconut oil in my ends after washing and on plait tassels. My hair is relatively coarse, but I think a couple of drops of pure fractionated coconut oil would be worth a try for fine hair. Great for skin too!

Anyone know what Tocopherol does and why it's in this formula?
    Images in old threads not showing up? Try the image fixer browser extension.

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

I'm glad to hear your experience with fractionated CO, barnet_fair. I'm intrigued to try it!

Just looked up Tocopherol, and this is what I found: 'Tocopherol is a form of vitamin E and is a natural skin conditioning agent, antioxidant and anti-inflammatory derived from plants. It helps to fight free radicals, reduces lipid peroxidation and oxidative stress to the scalp, and protects the skin and hair from damage due to sun exposure.'

From that alone (I haven't done any extensive research), it seems like a nice ingredient.
    I live in Greece, and protecting my hair from sun exposure seems like a good idea.
    Dye-free since Dec 2018.

Length
    20"/23"/28"
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Tocopherol is vitamin E.