Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your go to style?

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Default Re: Your go to style?

For me, gender expression influences how I wear my hair.
    I've always been a bit of a tomboy and I try to go for styles that aren't overly feminine. My go-to style is a messy sort of bun.
    When I feel like I want to be more feminine, I might also change my hair style, wear it down etc.

Not saying that wearing your hair down is objectively more feminine than a bun, or anything like that, it's about how it makes me feel personally.
    Neck / SL / APL / BSL / WL+ / HL / BCL / TBL!
    Dye-free since Dec 2018.
    2021 plan: grow & trim - get rid of layers & reach hip-BCL.

Length
    pixie/Calf/max
    Type
    1a/F/i

Neoma knot or a variation of it; if that doesn't work, my desperation bun: damp, twisted, multiply chained, knotted, twisted again, and held with the sturdiest 5-prong ever made.

Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Any kind of bun at the back of my head held with a hairstick, unless I'm wearing it down.

Length
    Chin/APL/TBD
    Type
    2a/F/ii/iii

Go-to is just wearing it loose, if I can. Purely because it's the fastest, ha. And it's not so long that it's a problem having it down.
    If I'm actually styling it, go twos include two French braids at the top going sideways to keep it out of my face, or a ponytail of its hot out and I need it off my neck

A single braid down the back, sometimes two. That, pretty much all the time. I need my hair out of my way in a practical fashion because I don't have the patience to mess with it through the day-- sometimes even the braid(s) annoy me because if I bend over they flop over in front of me-- and wearing it "up" gives me a headache after too long, especially if I have to spend a lot of time looking "down" at something like a phone or book or notebook.

I'm cis-female, but I'm sure some people would see my style/attitude as not very "girly" because I want my hair to be out of my way and hassle-free more than I worry about looking "pretty," and 95% of the time I'm going to go with a style that means I don't have to think about or mess with my hair as I go about my day, move around, etc.
    Putting it in my signature because I have to say it so often:
    Do what works for your hair, not what other people say is "right" or "wrong." If it works for you, it's not wrong. If it doesn't work for you, it's not right.

Southwest/New England/Deep South/Appalachia
    Length
    42/42/42
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

"Desperation bun" often describes it pretty well for me, too, Cg ( ;

Length
    20/20/32
    Type
    2b/2c/F/i

Lately it's been a low messy pony tail bun or a pony tail or stuffed under a ball cap.

Banned

For me it is a low ponytail or if I feel like keeping my hair more out of the way I will wear a single low plait or English Braid. My issue with doing a braid though is making the bottom even as sometimes the length doesn't add up and it looks like a wispy mess. I rarely wear my hair loose when I go out given I don't want it getting caught.

Growing in the Silvers hennalonghair's Avatar
    Length
    APL/TBL/CL
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

Usually two braids together like in my avatar using matching scrunchies with tiny barrettes
    One day a week it’s worn down and that’s wash day and one or two days it might be worn up with a three or four prong curved wooden fork or occasionally acrylic sticks.

Growing in the Silvers hennalonghair's Avatar
    Length
    APL/TBL/CL
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Male Ponytail View Post
    For me it is a low ponytail or if I feel like keeping my hair more out of the way I will wear a single low plait or English Braid. My issue with doing a braid though is making the bottom even as sometimes the length doesn't add up and it looks like a wispy mess. I rarely wear my hair loose when I go out given I don't want it getting caught.
    Here’s what I do to avoid that problem since we have similar hair types. Braid hair and as you get further down loosen the braid a bit. Then leave a larger amount of unbraid hair at the bottom and tie it off. Wet the ends and add a touch of conditioner so the ends re-curl.
    Our hair types need to breathe and this saves your ends from getting dried out.