Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wearing up for long periods and affecting hair growth direction

Default Wearing up for long periods and affecting hair growth direction

Am not sure if I am doing the right thing, wearing my hair up in a tight bun for long periods (maybe 36 hours sometimes). Having it up really helps look after the condition of my hair as is *very* fine - but it is affecting the direction of growth slightly at my crown. This means my hair doesn't naturally lie flat for a little bit of it at the crown without applying some hair oil, etc. I guess it is a sort of 'cow lick' at the crown really :P

I did used to put in two braids, but I used to get far more tangles with these - and a loose tie of hair when down doesn't stop it tangling either.

I do feel I am placing quite a lot of tension on the roots of my hair with the bun, but it just makes things so much easier and simpler in terms of not needing to spend an hour plus a day detangling, which also means saving hair too!!! The tension doesn't affect anywhere else.

What do you think!?

Default Re: Wearing up for long periods and affecting hair growth direction

Just adding an image too, but not of my cow lick!!

Length
    ?/WL/FTL
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Welcome! How long is your hair? Could you experiment with some different types of braid starting on the scalp itself? The cow lick on your crown, are you certain that’s occurred since wearing in a bun.. the only reason I ask is I have a double crown and it can look like that sometimes.

Length
    ?/WL/FTL
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    Just adding an image too, but not of my cow lick!!

Ah I can see length. Your hair looks lovely.

Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Putting too much tension on the hair roots is not good. This could cause thinning over time and could affect curl/wave pattern. If you where to let it rest from a bun for a while, few days to a week, it would probably return to normal.But if if you do this too long it may not. Though that doesn't solve the tangle problem. I would suggest switching up the position of the bun and exploring other styles. Possibly French braids.

Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Feral_ View Post
    Welcome! How long is your hair? Could you experiment with some different types of braid starting on the scalp itself? The cow lick on your crown, are you certain that’s occurred since wearing in a bun.. the only reason I ask is I have a double crown and it can look like that sometimes.
    Yes. You could have a cowlick that you never new about. If its truly a cowlick its not likely that its something new.
    I have a bad one at my crown as well, it is typically weighed down by my hair but not always, maybe 60/40. Bunning too long does exasterbate it.

Also it seem to get worse the longer my hair is.
    Last edited by BleachedBerry; June 6th, 2020 at 03:09 PM.

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

A tight bun constantly isn't a good idea, but a comfortable bun is absolutely fine as long as you're securing it in a hair-friendly way.

When you say tight, is it uncomfortable? I just wonder if maybe you mean secure - sometimes we describe buns as 'rock solid' which sounds like they should be tight but they're not, just extremely stable and, well, secure.
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Length
    28"/36"/Long
    Type
    2c/F/ii

When wearing my hair down, I think that wearing a satin blouse (or top from satin pyjamas) cuts way down on the tangles. (So long as it's indoors, not in a breeze.) Throwing a satin pillowcase over the backrest of my chair also helps. Then my hair's in between 2 layers of satin.

Length
    29/29/42
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

Great tips in this thread...! I can concur that buns help make things easier - I do the same thing. But my scalp hurts if I change where I put the bun because of a change in hair angle, I think. I can't say for certain if it changed the direction of hair growth but I wouldn't be surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalamazoo View Post
    When wearing my hair down, I think that wearing a satin blouse (or top from satin pyjamas) cuts way down on the tangles. (So long as it's indoors, not in a breeze.) Throwing a satin pillowcase over the backrest of my chair also helps. Then my hair's in between 2 layers of satin.
    Oh that is clever Kalamazoo. Though I have a satin pillowcase I hadn't considered about clothing, but I totally see what you mean.