Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wearing up for long periods and affecting hair growth direction

Default Re: Wearing up for long periods and affecting hair growth direction

Quote Originally Posted by MusicalSpoons View Post
    A tight bun constantly isn't a good idea, but a comfortable bun is absolutely fine as long as you're securing it in a hair-friendly way.

When you say tight, is it uncomfortable? I just wonder if maybe you mean secure - sometimes we describe buns as 'rock solid' which sounds like they should be tight but they're not, just extremely stable and, well, secure.
    Oh thank you MusicalSpoons, I will take into account, as I prob could do slightly less tight.

Quote Originally Posted by Feral_ View Post
    Ah I can see length. Your hair looks lovely.
    Thank you Feral_

Quote Originally Posted by Feral_ View Post
    Welcome! How long is your hair? Could you experiment with some different types of braid starting on the scalp itself? The cow lick on your crown, are you certain that’s occurred since wearing in a bun.. the only reason I ask is I have a double crown and it can look like that sometimes.
    I've only ever been able to do a twisted, two strand braid before as I do not have so much dexterity in my hands. What other type would you recommend.

I do feel like I have a bit of an odd crown, in that I'm sure it is slightly lower than typical. I will have to get my daughter to take a pic of me from behind when I next see her!

Quote Originally Posted by BleachedBerry View Post
    Putting too much tension on the hair roots is not good. This could cause thinning over time and could affect curl/wave pattern. If you where to let it rest from a bun for a while, few days to a week, it would probably return to normal.But if if you do this too long it may not. Though that doesn't solve the tangle problem. I would suggest switching up the position of the bun and exploring other styles. Possibly French braids.
    Thank you BleachedBerry. I feel it is a good idea you write. I will find another way. I just put into to bunches last night. Do you know why tension on the roots can lead to thinning, and what is the sort of balance between tension and release which is needed to keep roots healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire View Post
    Great tips in this thread...! I can concur that buns help make things easier - I do the same thing. But my scalp hurts if I change where I put the bun because of a change in hair angle, I think. I can't say for certain if it changed the direction of hair growth but I wouldn't be surprised.
    Thank you Fire