Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Have or would you use horse products for your hair?

Default Re: Have or would you use horse products for your hair?

I don't really consider Mane & Tail a "horse product" anymore. I mean, some people may still use it on horses. It used to be for horses, and back maybe in the 80s people were using it on their own hair. Then you started seeing it in people stores. I think I heard for a while that there were then two versions-- the people version in regular stores, and then one that was still for horses that you'd still get in the livestock/horse/farming stores but that one went heavier on the oils or 'cones or something. Now I have no idea. But once it's formulated for and marketed to people, in the hair-care section of people stores, I don't consider it an animal product anymore.
    Putting it in my signature because I have to say it so often:
    Do what works for your hair, not what other people say is "right" or "wrong." If it works for you, it's not wrong. If it doesn't work for you, it's not right.

Length
    38/38/42
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

I've definitely been tempted to use some of the cowboy magic dangling gel before! Its magical stuff! We're using a cheaper spray on the ponies at the moment but if we get cowboy magic again I might give it a go.

Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

I find main n tail at the local tack shop or livestock/horse/farming stores. The shampoo conditioner, (same one in the shampoo isle ), and many other mane n tail products for horses , like hoofmaker that I tried once for my nails, cant remember if it helped or not .
    I only see the shampoo and conditioner in the shampoo isle at a few stores, many times it is in the pet isle.
    I have tried there herbal gro line I picked up a discount store, it made my hair greasy and flat.
    I have seen they now have a color protect line but I do not remember where I saw it.

Type
    1c/2a/C/ii

I love the Mane n Tail Original Conditioner. It's cone free, it's a little bit waxy, which I like. I'm buying it for 15 years and I hope they will never discontinue it. I use it after every second or third wash.

Length
    SL/WL/TBL
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I used it years ago and it was pretty much like any other shampoo, did nothing extra to my hair for it to be worth, and it was waxy. Not worth the price tbh, also it's no longer available, I guess because everyone bought it once and never again xD
    SL - APL - BSL - MBL - WL- MBL - WL - HL - TBL
    GOAL ACHIEVED: Gave up dye on April 24, 2016. Very last trim to get a full head of natural hair on May 30, 2019

Length
    1/2/30
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/i

I've used Eqyss Rebuilder conditioner and I like it. My hair was pretty damaged at the time and I feel like it helped smooth it out. It is pretty expensive but you don't have to use a lot for results. Not an everyday conditioner I don't think, more like a once a week one. I would consider using other Eqyss products, they are cruelty-free and have pretty nice ingredients.

Length
    Buzz/Pixie/Happy
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Back in the day that stuff was the holy Grail of hair products.... But I never used it and I don't think I would start now. I have to stick to my trusty protein-free products that I know work for me.
    Just trying to get by

Southwest/New England/Deep South/Appalachia
    Length
    42/42/42
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

When I was growing up, my mother thought "black salve" or "drawing salve" marketed for horses and cattle was a cure-all. If we had cuts, sunburns, even pimples, on the black salve went!

Length
    16/38/TBL
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I had show horses for years and if something made their tales silky and shiny I would always try it on my hair... I wouldn't now, but when I was younger I didn't care about ingredients or how they would react on my hair. Horse products typically smell wonderful and are full of oils and/or cones.
    CBL/APL/BSL​/MBL/Waist/Hip/TBL

Length
    BSL/Hip/CL
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

I used Mane N' Tail as a kid. I don't really remember how it affected my hair (if at all), but my hair does seem to like protein. I'm using a protein conditioner now with good results so far. I might use Mane N' Tail again someday for the nostalgia.