Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sauve and vo5 seem to be popular around here. Why is that?

Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Default Sauve and vo5 seem to be popular around here. Why is that?

I was forced to use Sauve as I child. It was cheap and we where poor.
    So I have never been fond of it as an adult, though I don't even think I've used it in my adult life.
    I guess I just associate it with that time in my life as being cheap or poor.
    I would not be apposed to trying it though and change my ways of thinking.
    I do have extremely sensitive skin and both seem to be loaded with fragrance. I try to avoid fragrance as much as possible unless its a nice perfume and I can tolerate certain ones, or a candle.

A lot of you guys around here seem to like it. Why is that?
    Im assuming its good.

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Default Re: Sauve and vo5 seem to be popular around here. Why is that?

We don't have them over here but from what I've read, they're cheap, light, good for co-washing, good for SMT, and cone-free. Conditioners, anyway, though the shampoos seem to be reasonably popular too - I think those are due to being light enough for frequent use, not too harsh but do a thorough enough job anyway, and cone-free of course.

However if I've got any of that wrong or whatever I've missed out, I look forward to hearing from the people who actually can buy and use those brands
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

No Suave or V05 where I live either, but I would get them if I could. Because... why pay more when something as "cheap" does the very same thing. And that is it, precisely, it does the very same thing.

Sulfates in an expensive shampoo bottle are no different from sulfates in a cheaper shampoo bottle.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    CBL/31/Hip
    Type
    2a/M/C/iii

I am with lapushka on this. I am also not a fan of the heavily scented VO5, but I do use Suave conditioners. I have experimented over the years with a wide range of products, including stuff that cost $20 for a small tub... and TBH, my hair rarely seems to care.

Instead of spending extra on conditioner, I buy a bottle of aloe gel once a year (~$5) and some Nightblooming hair oils. My hair is softer and healthier than it ever was using expensive products.
    Onwards.

26-BSL-28-29-WL-31-32-HL

Length
    APL/??/CL
    Type
    3a/3b/M/C/iii

I was forced to use Suave as a child too, but more so because everyone else in the household had type 1 hair and thought all conditioners are the same. Suave doesn’t work for me AT ALL. It’s too light, and the preservatives are irritating to a lot of people (at least in the versions sold in the US). Same with V05.

I think a lot of people like them just because they’re cheap and readily available in many areas. Also quite a few people buy shampoo and conditioner for smell and don’t care as much about the ingredients as long ad it smells good to them.
    Classic stretched, bcl to tbl most days otherwise.
    Unruly mix of 3s.

Length
    Hip/Hip+/Metal
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    No Suave or V05 where I live either, but I would get them if I could. Because... why pay more when something as "cheap" does the very same thing. And that is it, precisely, it does the very same thing.

Sulfates in an expensive shampoo bottle are no different from sulfates in a cheaper shampoo bottle.
    Yeah, this.

They're not available here, and I wouldn't use them anyway - not because they are cheap or full of fragrance but because I think they are both preserved with methyl(chloro)isothiazolinone, which I am allergic to, but that preservative is used equally frequently in more expensive products as well so no difference there either for me.
    Ósnjallr maðr hyggsk munu ey lifa, ef hann við víg varask;
    en elli gefr hánum engi frið, þótt hánum geirar gefi.

Instagram | Last.fm | Folk band | Acoustic metal duo | My links

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Oooh I need to correct myself. I was that "fool" that once ordered 2 big bottles of Suave tropical coconut conditioner off of ebay for a little more than they usually go in store. Thankfully no imports or duties, but it cost more than it was worth. It was a nice conditioner, though, I do have to admit that. And for that price. I for sure would not hesitate.

The "cheapest" we can get in Belgium are Aldi & Lidl's own brand at a couple euro, 2.19 euro for a Lidl conditioner is as cheap as it gets, for 200ml too! So in my eyes, that's not "cheap". But I run a tight budget (kind of have to).

Regular brands like Garnier Fructis, Garnier Ultra Doux (Blends line), and Pantene are about the most cost-effective there is.

My one "sin" was that a hair dresser had me get (of course I got persuaded) a little tub of a Schwarzkopf Bonacure mask, for 20 euro. Never again. Yes, it was nice. yes it had great slip, but nothing that a "regular" couple euro mask would not be able to do for less.

So why even pay more? Unless you just want to be throwing money about.

It's basically a big myth that the ingredients are "so-called" better in brands like TiGi, or Kerastase (a L'Oréal company), or Redken, or what have you. If we're talking little shops that invest the care and effort, also the little black-owned businesses for curly hair then that is another thing. Those are nice ingredients, often. And worth spending more on.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    waist/TB/long

A lot of folks find the conditioners exceptionally good for conditioner-only CO washing. I used to do that and found both brands good, and truly cheap to boot!

Type
    3a/F/M/iii

They're cheap and their cheapest line is free of silicons. A lot of people don't have a lot of money still, and they're really quite nice for their inexpensive price, theres really nothing wrong with inexpensive products unless you have moral objections to some ingredients or business practices - the cost has to be cut somewhere, finding a deal is fun.
    Last edited by leafygreens18; June 6th, 2020 at 09:57 AM.
    [Shaved | Pixie |Chin | Shoulder | APL |BSL | Waist | Onward...]

Quote Originally Posted by MusicalSpoons View Post
    We don't have them over here but from what I've read, they're cheap, light, good for co-washing, good for SMT, and cone-free. Conditioners, anyway, though the shampoos seem to be reasonably popular too - I think those are due to being light enough for frequent use, not too harsh but do a thorough enough job anyway, and cone-free of course.

However if I've got any of that wrong or whatever I've missed out, I look forward to hearing from the people who actually can buy and use those brands
    VO5 is available in the UK.

I use the styling products mostly, cones included. They work quite well for me, and as a bonus are cheap.