Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do forks with more prongs help tame layers more?

Length
    0"/BSL/?
    Type
    1c/2a/C/iii

Default Do forks with more prongs help tame layers more?

I'm thinking about getting a four prong fork. Right now, I have a couple of two prong forks and I have noticed they do a bit better at securing buns on me than matching sticks do. However, my layers still coming out pretty often. I have a feeling that a fork with 4+ prongs might do.

My hair really enjoys metal and there are only a handful of makers that sell four prong metal forks and they are expensive... So I l;thought I would ask before I throw down that much money based on a "feeling".

Length
    WL/clsc/FTL
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Do forks with more prongs help tame layers more?

I can't really answer your question since I've never had layers in my hair, but perhaps you could use a pair of two-prong forks at once, and it would be sort of like the equivalent of a four-prong fork?
    waist / hip / tailbone / classic+ / fingertip / knee / calf? / ankle? / floor? / terminal??
    classic by 2020 / knee by 2021?

Length
    0"/BSL/?
    Type
    1c/2a/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Elodea View Post
    I can't really answer your question since I've never had layers in my hair, but perhaps you could use a pair of two-prong forks at once, and it would be sort of like the equivalent of a four-prong fork?
    That's a good idea. I just wonder if having all the prongs lined up catches more of the end since they are sort of distributed through one of my buns.

I really want to just go for it but... ahk that is so much money! I don't really care to develop a huge hair toy collection so I wouldn't mind paying for one if I knew they worked. Right now though, I am sitting on a couple of pretty new things that didn't end up working for me already.

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ??/Calf/Calf+
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

I have seen a few pretties listed as hair combs rather than hair forks. I can only think of two fork makers and yeah, expensive, so just mentioning multi-pronged hair combs in case they might potentially do the job for you at a lower price
    Growing back to definite-calf length with hopefully some semblance of a hemline.
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Secretly a Bald Dude AmaryllisRed's Avatar
    Length
    MBL/FTL/KNEE
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

I have layers and bangs. I don't have a four-prong fork but I have two- and three-prong forks and sticks. I don't think the three-prong forks hold layers in any better. Twisted and braided buns do. Or a bobby pin when things start poking out, or bunning wet... Usually though I just embrace the messy look.

Length
    0"/BSL/?
    Type
    1c/2a/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by MusicalSpoons View Post
    I have seen a few pretties listed as hair combs rather than hair forks. I can only think of two fork makers and yeah, expensive, so just mentioning multi-pronged hair combs in case they might potentially do the job for you at a lower price
    I'll look into it. I have had a couple of combs though and tend to bens the tines on them. :nuetral:

I just found this guy, I wounder if it would be a nice substitute for the super expensive ones. It's not nearly as smooth so idk if it would work as well as my Quattro sticks.

Quote Originally Posted by AmaryllisRed View Post
    I have layers and bangs. I don't have a four-prong fork but I have two- and three-prong forks and sticks. I don't think the three-prong forks hold layers in any better. Twisted and braided buns do. Or a bobby pin when things start poking out, or bunning wet... Usually though I just embrace the messy look.
    I don't know what's up with my hair but the spikes refuse to be pinned down. gels and moisture don't work either. Maybe it's something to do with my hair type.

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

For me it's not the prongs, it's the stylers I put in my hair. If I just put a curling cream, there's less hold, and so my layers jump out all over the place. If I use a cream + gel, then I don't have that happen. I use a 2 prong fork all the time.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Secretly a Bald Dude AmaryllisRed's Avatar
    Length
    MBL/FTL/KNEE
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by jane_marie View Post
    I'll look into it. I have had a couple of combs though and tend to bens the tines on them. :nuetral:

I just found this guy, I wounder if it would be a nice substitute for the super expensive ones. It's not nearly as smooth so idk if it would work as well as my Quattro sticks.

I don't know what's up with my hair but the spikes refuse to be pinned down. gels and moisture don't work either. Maybe it's something to do with my hair type.
    Your hair is stronger than mere pins and will not be contained!
    Maybe try different buns? Idk. For me, I do a nautilus one way for a while and then the layers start poking out and so I start doing the nautilus the other way and that solves it until my hair grows again.
    But I only have bangs and then layers in like the last six inches. You've got layers throughout the length, haven't you?
    Finally made a signature!
    My not-usually-hair-related blog is at www.thecoffeelessmom.wordpress.com

Length
    BSL/CL/FTL
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by jane_marie View Post
    I don't really care to develop a huge hair toy collection so I wouldn't mind paying for one if I knew they worked.
    Good strategy. I also aspire to this.

I don't have layers or thick hair like yours, but metal and 4 pronged forks hold very well for me.

My Quattro investment has been wonderful, if you're looking at them. (I have 2 prong forks.)

Their stuff is just pure quality and functionality. You get the feeling they will last a lifetime with thousands of uses. Here's a simple 4 prong button fork that could go with everything. Some day I will likely also invest in a 4 prong fork! (Wow, I sound like a Quattro employee, haha.)

– - – - –

But. Wild, uncontainable spikes sound cool.

Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Don’t be afraid; you are worth more... Luke 12:7

Length
    0"/BSL/?
    Type
    1c/2a/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by AmaryllisRed View Post
    Your hair is stronger than mere pins and will not be contained!
    Maybe try different buns? Idk. For me, I do a nautilus one way for a while and then the layers start poking out and so I start doing the nautilus the other way and that solves it until my hair grows again.
    But I only have bangs and then layers in like the last six inches. You've got layers throughout the length, haven't you?
    Haha! ...and yet it seems to have a case of the splits. :eyeroll:

Unfortunately, I don't really have enough length to do anything but double/triple LWB, figure 8's, cinnamon buns and single cinnamon buns. Or at least it's not long enough for me to do them in a place where buns don't give me migraine problems.

I'm hoping to find a tool that keeps my high place cinnamon bun up without fixing it every 3 hours.

Yeah I think my highest layers are about APL right now and they travel all the way through.