Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do forks with more prongs help tame layers more?

Length
    0"/MBL/?
    Type
    2a/C/iii

Default Re: Do forks with more prongs help tame layers more?

Quote Originally Posted by AmaryllisRed View Post
    Your hair is stronger than mere pins and will not be contained!
    Maybe try different buns? Idk. For me, I do a nautilus one way for a while and then the layers start poking out and so I start doing the nautilus the other way and that solves it until my hair grows again.
    But I only have bangs and then layers in like the last six inches. You've got layers throughout the length, haven't you?
    Haha! ...and yet it seems to have a case of the splits. :eyeroll:

Unfortunately, I don't really have enough length to do anything but double/triple LWB, figure 8's, cinnamon buns and single cinnamon buns. Or at least it's not long enough for me to do them in a place where buns don't give me migraine problems.

I'm hoping to find a tool that keeps my high place cinnamon bun up without fixing it every 3 hours.

Yeah I think my highest layers are about APL right now and they travel all the way through.

Length
    0"/MBL/?
    Type
    2a/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by elise.autumn View Post
    Good strategy. I also aspire to this.

I don't have layers or thick hair like yours, but metal and 4 pronged forks hold very well for me.

My Quattro investment has been wonderful, if you're looking at them. (I have 2 prong forks.)

Their stuff is just pure quality and functionality. You get the feeling they will last a lifetime with thousands of uses. Here's a simple 4 prong button fork that could go with everything. Some day I will likely also invest in a 4 prong fork! (Wow, I sound like a Quattro employee, haha.)

– - – - –

But. Wild, uncontainable spikes sound cool.
    Yep, that's exactly what I've been drooling over. I think it's just the thing for my high set cinnamon buns (plus whatever I can do as time goes on) and if I get the longest one I don't think I would ever out grow it.

Secretly a Bald Dude AmaryllisRed's Avatar
    Length
    MBL/FTL/KNEE
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

My personal preference for cinnabuns is small claw clips. I can never seem to get them to stay with sticks or forks.

Also, have you tried a vortex bun? Like a cinnabun but sectioned.
    Finally made a signature!
    My not-usually-hair-related blog is at www.thecoffeelessmom.wordpress.com

Length
    BSL/57/?
    Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

I LOVE my 4 prong fork (6 inches, 60th street) and use it nearly every day. But you just don't know what will work until you try. I had to try first with a 2 prongs, then a 3 before I found the best holding in a 4 prong.

I think the metal 4 prong looks smooth enough, so worth a try. Keep in mind that longer tines may make the hold better or differently.

Growing in the Silvers hennalonghair's Avatar
    Length
    APL/TBL/CL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/iii

I donít have layered hair but do have coarse , thick, curly hair so most regular single, straight sticks donít hold well. All my hair styles are braid to help keep it all well contained. For me 3 or 4 prong forks hold well. Depending on when Iíve washed my hair a 4 prong fork can hold too well or can be a bit too snug for comfort. Most stray hairs I have are due to hair texture so how I style my hair has more to do with how I contain it all more than the hair toys I use. The hair toys I use have more to do with securing my bun, if that makes sense to you. Even though I donít have layers I can relate more with Lapushkas post since we have similar hair texture, length and thickness.

Length
    13/32/32
    Type
    2a/M/ii

In my opinion more prongs will not matter much to layers, but you will not regret buying a lovely four-prong fork. It does make your updo feel more secure than a 2-prong. If I know I'll be doing a lot of physical work like gardening or cleaning or exercising, I use four-prong forks.

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by sapphire-o View Post
    In my opinion more prongs will not matter much to layers, but you will not regret buying a lovely four-prong fork. It does make your updo feel more secure than a 2-prong. If I know I'll be doing a lot of physical work like gardening or cleaning or exercising, I use four-prong forks.
    I have one Quattro 4 prong, and no indeed, the same thing happens if I wear 2 prongs with less hold to my stylers, *boing*.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    buzz/FTL/FTL
    Type
    2b/C/ii

Ooh, what seller is that fork from jane_marie?

Type
    1a/F/i

Have you considered Ficcare Maximas? They've been my go to for years now. My smooth and fine hair needs to be in a tight updo for anything to work, at least if I want to move.

My three-prong curved wooden forks usually works all day too, but if I'm keeping active the Max is more stable in the long run. They're a bit of an investment, but in my opinion sooo worth it

October 2007 at the Mara Hippo Lodge in Kenya

Length
    0"/MBL/?
    Type
    2a/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Nini View Post
    Have you considered Ficcare Maximas? They've been my go to for years now. My smooth and fine hair needs to be in a tight updo for anything to work, at least if I want to move.

My three-prong curved wooden forks usually works all day too, but if I'm keeping active the Max is more stable in the long run. They're a bit of an investment, but in my opinion sooo worth it
    I bought a ficcare on the swap board and I found it incredibly painful. wore it for a half hour and my head hurt for days. Honestly, it hurt so bad that I have trouble understanding why they have such a big following.