Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I want to NOT wash my hair for one month? What do you think? Advice?

Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Default I want to NOT wash my hair for one month? What do you think? Advice?

Ive went long amounts of times in the past, maybe 1 to 2 months with out washing. I don't remember how I did it because I try not to remember that time of my life.

I co wash every day to every other day and shampoo every week or so.

I want to skip co washing and any other form of washing for 1 month.
    I want to avoid getting wet as well but may rinse with hot water if I cannot bear it.
    No dry shampoo because that would build up and I don't want that on scalp for a month.

I clarified today, deeply clarified, and deep conditioned with good quality conditioners. Applied my leave ins as usual omitting anything heavy or sticky.
    When my hair was 80 to 90 dry, I put in 2 French braids and intend to leave this as long as possible.

I have attempted this a few times and given up by day 15.
    Any thoughts? Is there another thread about this any one can refer me too?

Length
    24/35/?
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Default Re: I want to NOT wash my hair for one month? What do you think? Advice?

Try the SO/NW thread, otherwise sebum only/no water. They use Scritch, massage and preen to look after their hair. The amalgamated WO/so/nw thread has a lot of advice in it too.
    Hair pictures on my instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kjmacg/

Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Default Re: I want to NOT wash my hair for one month? What do you think? Advice?

I do WO so I am not not experienced in SO. I’ve gone 2 weeks with just massaging and brushing and my hair was still ok, not greasy. The only reason I didn’t do SO is because I like the feeling of water on my scalp / hair.

I would think for scalp health you would need to brush and preen to distribute the sebum. Plaits are protective but the scalp will still be producing oil so where will that go unless you brush it? It’s like my dogs - their fur tufts and clumps if I don’t brush them.

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ??/Calf/Calf+
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

What was it that made you stop during your previous attempts?
    Growing back to definite-calf length with hopefully some semblance of a hemline.
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Out of curiosity, why do you want to do this?
    Putting it in my signature because I have to say it so often:
    Do what works for your hair, not what other people say is "right" or "wrong." If it works for you, it's not wrong. If it doesn't work for you, it's not right.

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Yes, my mom *can* go 2 months, even 3 if she stretches (but that's only when there's no option) but she has very dry scalp (no flaking). Her dermatologist recommended she wash as little as possible, only when the scalp dictates it.

And *that* is the most important takeaway here, the scalp! Listen to your scalp. If you are stuck with oily hair half of the month, then that is not the idea of this, surely.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by MusicalSpoons View Post
    What was it that made you stop during your previous attempts?
    I would get wet on accident and then I'm like okay I might as well.
    I would get invited swimming and not use a swim cap. Because there just not cute for a pool party. Swimming laps there fine.
    sometimes just because I felt like it and decided 2 weeks was long enough.

Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Kat View Post
    Out of curiosity, why do you want to do this?
    I feel my hair does well when stretching washes. thought I love how my hair feels clean, I want to try stretching long as possible. I do have dry scalp and I am becoming increasingly sensitive to products.

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ??/Calf/Calf+
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by BleachedBerry View Post
    I would get wet on accident and then I'm like okay I might as well.
    I would get invited swimming and not use a swim cap. Because there just not cute for a pool party. Swimming laps there fine.
    sometimes just because I felt like it and decided 2 weeks was long enough.
    If it wasn't because of any scalp issues then you're probably fine to at least try it - but if your scalp starts complaining and isn't helped with scritching or anything like that, then listen to it and wash it.

The other thing is, what condition is your hair in? I can't remember what your current situation is with bleach but it might be that your hair needs moisture (and maybe protein) as well as sebum. I don't know, I really can't remember (I'm sorry) but just thought it was an important factor to mention.
    Growing back to definite-calf length with hopefully some semblance of a hemline.
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Flying a starship across the universe divide.
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Geographically, where I live, environmental conditions alone would not allow me to stretch that far.
    Ya know, frequent humidity, high temps...perspiration....
    I wish I could though. Because quite honestly just having it is a pain in the arse. But one I'm willing to take lol.
    If I did stretch it out that long around here though, birds would probably be making nests in it. I would weigh two to three pounds heavier just from the airborne dust. And for all I know Lilliputians might even be taking up residence in it.
    Hearing their wee little screams when I brushed them out would be slightly disconcerting to me.