Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Can long hair be worn down at all times?

Length
    BSL/MBL/Class
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Default Re: Can long hair be worn down at all times?

For me, it's also about practicality. I choose my battles. I wear it up when I'm travelling or outside, but sometimes when I'm inside, I pull it out of my bun. Cause I get what you're saying. I wanna enjoy my hair too, otherwise I wouldn't grow it this long. I don't sleep in buns and I sleep in a braid only if I feel like it, which is 15% of the time. Do what you like. Advice can be ignored if you want to

Length
    BSL/CL/FTL
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Hello TinaRider, it looks like we have a similar texture and thickness. I can wear it down a fair amount if I want to. For protective reasons, I don't all the time. But I'll even go on long walks with it down, just understanding I'll need to gently detangle that night. I also used to sleep with it down (and damp) a few years ago. Again, I don't do that any more out of principle, but it didn't seem to harm my hair.

Halfbacks and long braids could also be a compromise to constantly down.

tl;dr: Do what feels right for your hair. If it is happy and you are happy, do it! If not, then change your styles. Updos and hair toys are also great fun.

Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Donít be afraid; you are worth more... Luke 12:7

Length
    pixie/MTL/max
    Type
    1a/F/i

I choose to wear it up to keep it away from my face, but when I was younger I wore it down all the time, even at knee. Everyone has different goals and preferences, so it's entirely up to you if and when you choose to wear it up. Enjoy your hair, whatever you decide.

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Mine's waist length and I generally only wear it up (ponytail) for work. Or if it's windy! Everyone is different.
    CBL 2015 - BCL 2019

⋆Hangin out between waist and hip⋆

Length
    BSL/CL/FTL
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Cg View Post
    when I was younger I wore it down all the time, even at knee
    This sounds amazing. I used to think super long hair could not possibly be worn down, until mine at classic+ still can be without too much trouble.

Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Donít be afraid; you are worth more... Luke 12:7

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/BSL/waist
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Hair in my face and tickling my neck drives me crazy, not to mention that it gets hot, in my way, and sheds all over the place. I'd have to say that I'm growing it long so I can wear it up.

Length
    CBL/MTL/Knee?
    Type
    1c/M/ii

I think (anecdotally) that with lengths like BSL/waist or even perhaps hip, most people can wear their hair down always or frequently without problem, as long as they are careful about getting it caught in things etc.

At longer lengths (especially past TBL) I think more people have to do protective styles on the regular in order to keep their growth from stalling due to breakage. But not everyone. There are those who can wear it down daily at knee+.

If you want to wear your hair down you of course can, but I would suggest being mindful of how your growth is going so that you can notice if it's too much damage for your hair. Just see how it goes.

Personally I am particular about the health of my hair and try to avoid damage as much as possible. My hair is not tough and I want to reach knee length with reasonably healthy ends, so I wear my hair up daily. It's also a little inconvenient to wear it down (mid thigh length) if I'm doing much of anything, it gets everywhere.

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by spidermom View Post
    Hair in my face and tickling my neck drives me crazy, not to mention that it gets hot, in my way, and sheds all over the place. I'd have to say that I'm growing it long so I can wear it up.
    I sooo detest that!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    24Ē/33.5"/39"
    Type
    1a/F/i

Well length is subjective depending on your height. My hair is around 33 inches long, but I'm 6ft tall so it's between waist and hip length. I wear it down most of the time and that's fine! I do wear it up to go running though. And often keep a scrunchie in my pocket to throw my hair up if I'm working outside or my children are getting their hands caught in my hair.
    APL - BSL - MBL - **WL** - HL - TBL
    Last dye: Feb 2017
    Last trim: 8th September 2019

Just grow it until you get to the point that you can't stand to have it down, then cut it back to where you can...
    Putting it in my signature because I have to say it so often:
    Do what works for your hair, not what other people say is "right" or "wrong." If it works for you, it's not wrong. If it doesn't work for you, it's not right.